Pool in need of another great ambassador

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
We need to be organized into a new membership

We need a fund of about 10 million to earn interest that would support a pro tour forever on the interest earned in the previous year.

We need to either to get organized around doing that or we need a very generous very rich person to leave us a bequest.

Pool should be self supporting. I.E. The people of pool could support Pool if they were organized to do so, but would they?

If the right guy were behind it a new member organization could be set up and from that a lot of things could grow.

Then the question would be? What to support? Should we support Pro Pool or should we support the installation of Pool Rooms not bars?

If the children aren't exposed to Pool then Pool is going to continue just like it is forever. We are living in the result of the Pool Rooms in small towns
closing their doors. Those Pool Rooms need a new updated business model and they don't need a hundred thousand dollars of debt to put one in.

Just finished my latest read of "Willie Game", book about Willie Mosconi, IMHO he was for many year a great ambassador of the game, on the payroll of Brunswick billiards, and did some thing to HELO with the games image.

Yes I loved the movie Hustler & Color of Money but they both show the bad side of P;oil and did not do much image enhancement for the game.

IMHO if Pool in the USA is ever to become a big time sport, the people doing the building be it ACA, BAC, or who ever need another Willie Mosconi to help build the image of the sport, or game.

Anyone agree?

Anyone disagree, and if so why?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pool has it's great ambassador and that's Barry Hearn, who is doing his best to raise the game's profile internationally and to make pool a more promising career.

Among players, men's pool never had a greater ambassador than Minnesota Fats, and women's pool never had one greater than Jeanette Lee, but one must wonder which players will be the flagbearers and spokespersons for pool going forward, as so few players today exhibit the kind of charisma needed.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool has it's great ambassador and that's Barry Hearn, who is doing his best to raise the game's profile internationally and to make pool a more promising career.

Among players, men's pool never had a greater ambassador than Minnesota Fats, and women's pool never had one greater than Jeanette Lee, but one must wonder which players will be the flagbearers and spokespersons for pool going forward, as so few players today exhibit the kind of charisma needed.

Concerning the current state of the world and pool in it, well said.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People like joe rogan would have the clout, a real fan of the game and the reach. But hes got too many pins to juggle and a family. As far as pool players go, its hard. Found this show last night aboit a pool hustler frok mississippi on the history channel, not good for pools image. So the gambling needs to ne embraced like the nfl did, espn gives out odds all day. Or go family friendly. Theres a hundred views on what it ahould be. Pool is split, it has too many personalities and not enough psychiatrists.

I agree with you about Joe Rogan.

P.S.
Maybe the word "system" confuses you, but developing a consistent aiming system IS a natural talent. Sorry.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The man has a handicap! That has given him every reason to be introverted, shy or reserved.

That still doesn't help American pool. I would concede the shy part for the first few years of fame, but your an adult now, why not help hearing impaired children get into the game? Orrrr SOMEthing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That still doesn't help American pool. I would concede the shy part for the first few years of fame, but your an adult now, why not help hearing impaired children get into the game? Orrrr SOMEthing.

He is not beholden to the game, he does not need to be pool's savior.

I like .the way svb handles himself.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished my latest read of "Willie Game", book about Willie Mosconi, IMHO he was for many year a great ambassador of the game, on the payroll of Brunswick billiards, and did some thing to HELO with the games image.

Yes I loved the movie Hustler & Color of Money but they both show the bad side of P;oil and did not do much image enhancement for the game.

IMHO if Pool in the USA is ever to become a big time sport, the people doing the building be it ACA, BAC, or who ever need another Willie Mosconi to help build the image of the sport, or game.

Anyone agree?

COM glorified the dump, which did more to hurt pool than anything I can think of inside or outside of pool. The dump is 100x worse than the smoking ban, poker and video games.

Hustler didn’t help pools image either.

However both movies did “wake up” the public and pool did have a noticeable bump in biz. I saw it first hand in 86-old timers tell me the Hustler did the same. It’s no secret the 60’s & 70’s were the last good decades for pool-depending on what your personal interpretation of “good” pool is. For me it’s gambling not hobby social leagues. But that’s just me.

A ambassador for pool? Meh the internet is to loud and will over talk anyone person these days.

Pool ain’t going away forever, it will stumble along in one form or another. I’ll be around as will most here.

Best,
Fatboy

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With gambling becoming more available to the average person i think that a minnesota fats type would be the best ambassador.

On a side note i think pool needs a bump from social media and celebs. Dazn streams boxing and one of the biggest fights last year was between 2 youtubers.

Push

Registered
Agree about Mosconi. When we were teenagers he used to play an exhibition for an old friend at the Royal Bar in Port Deposit, MD. My friend and I went there and they told us to beat it as we were way underage. So we wait outside and Mosconi's limo pulls up. We said "Mr. Mosconi we came here to see you play and they won't let us in". Mosconi proceeded to hand us house cues he used for his trick shots. We walked back in the bar and Willie said "these boys are with me" so we strutted in like we just bought the place! He would make a shot and glance over at us and nod. He missed a shot as the table wasn't the greatest. The crowd were ignorant locals and acted like he was making an excuse. Willie got pissed and ran over a hundred like a machine gun firing-never will forget that!

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't see pool making it back to packed parlors era. However it has quietly found it's way into millions of home's now for the sole purpose of playing pool or adding another game to entertainment home rooms with darts, card tables, shuffle boards, foosball etc. The whole Family can be active there and great parties.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I coined a phrase long ago, to help me understand the general public and why they don't embrace our sport.

Pool is too difficult of a game to enjoy/understand for ''the average mind''.

The subtleties of play/mistakes/safeties/and it's difficulty, are not obvious, like they are in all other games.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
hmm

I coined a phrase long ago, to help me understand the general public and why they don't embrace our sport.

Pool is too difficult of a game to enjoy/understand for ''the average mind''.

The subtleties of play/mistakes/safeties/and it's difficulty, are not obvious, like they are in all other games.

I hope yer not saying yer apart of the 'semi public' Bigfoot since yer trying to understand the general public.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
There are 69,440 members of this site and countless Pool League Players. We have the ability to lift this sport with a membership organization but find a majority that would give a damn about it.

Organizing Pool Players is like herding cats.

69,440 x $10 a piece a year is 694,400

I would think you could make a pro tour out of that if you wanted to but will that grow pool?

Pool Rooms that can support themselves are what grows Pool and that's whats been missing for a long time.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyone agree?

First pool players need to change the way they appear at tournaments and videos. I watched a one pocket match video from Houston on the Kelly’s Garage Facebook site where Aranas andGomez were playing two other players. Aranas and Gomez looked like two thugs with what they were wearing. The other team looked like two long haul truck drivers. The dress at this years Derby was not any better. SVB and Corey Duel are always dressed appropriately. I can’t think of any others follow their lead. You have to cleanup your act or stay in the dump.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
First pool players need to change the way they appear at tournaments and videos. I watched a one pocket match video from Houston on the Kelly’s Garage Facebook site where Aranas andGomez were playing two other players. Aranas and Gomez looked like two thugs with what they were wearing. The other team looked like two long haul truck drivers. The dress at this years Derby was not any better. SVB and Corey Duel are always dressed appropriately. I can’t think of any others follow their lead. You have to cleanup your act or stay in the dump.

Right on, fella. The average pro player has the attitude "once they pay me," I'll dress nicely. This is falling into the trap of circular reasoning, because nobody will pay them if they are perceived as lacking in taste and self-respect. Unless the pros, as a group, take their image and appearance seriously, they'll never be of any particular interest to those who might want to pay them more inside or outside of the playing arena. Similarly, those that don't take their appearance seriously will never be role models for amateur pool players or aspiring pros.

In my corporate days, we used to say "dress for the job you want, not for the one you have." It was a catch phrase that advocated using one's appearance to display some confidence and ambition to those who will ultimately dictate your earnings power. Pool players, similarly, need to dress for success, but most of them don't seem to get this.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That math works out.

But I see no reason to give the homeless idea any change.

There are 69,440 members of this site and countless Pool League Players. We have the ability to lift this sport with a membership organization but find a majority that would give a damn about it.

Organizing Pool Players is like herding cats.

69,440 x $10 a piece a year is 694,400

I would think you could make a pro tour out of that if you wanted to but will that grow pool?

Pool Rooms that can support themselves are what grows Pool and that's whats been missing for a long time.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I agree with you BB and Stu. The players need to make themselves a product and then someone will figure out how to sell it.

It's sad to think they would have to be made to do right in order to elevate the sport they are trying to make a living from.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the last attempt at this was primarily centered around making sure the money promised was in escrow.

What happened to providing a service for your employer?

That math works out.

But I see no reason to give the homeless idea any change.

Right on, fella. The average pro player has the attitude "once they pay me," I'll dress nicely. This is falling into the trap of circular reasoning, because nobody will pay them if they are perceived as lacking in taste and self-respect. Unless the pros, as a group, take their image and appearance seriously, they'll never be of any particular interest to those who might want to pay them more inside or outside of the playing arena. Similarly, those that don't take their appearance seriously will never be role models for amateur pool players or aspiring pros.

In my corporate days, we used to say "dress for the job you want, not for the one you have." It was a catch phrase that advocated using one's appearance to display some confidence and ambition to those who will ultimately dictate your earnings power. Pool players, similarly, need to dress for success, but most of them don't seem to get this.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think pool needs a personality. Golf, Tennis, certainly Baseball, Football, Basketball,
Hockey, even LaCross, and Soccer, have players that maybe aren't the best but they
give a good interview. Most pool players lack reasonable social skills (one trip to NPR
will tell you that). The girls are generally easy to listen to and to watch, but most of the
American men give a horrible interview. They're not much fun. I think I saw Chris Melling
give a really good interview, I'm sure they enjoy that in Europe. Mizerak was good in an
interview and even in the commercial he made, but pool lacks personality and anyone
marketable. I think Earl had a chance, but he was a little too abrasive. Bowling a few
years ago had a guy, I remember he would pick up a difficult spare or get a strike at a
critical time and turn around and give a crotch chop, people loved it and for a while even
non bowlers tuned in to watch. Pool also need a sympathetic news source to do some
coverage. I don't think I saw anything about the Mosconi Cup. Hell, I even saw coverage
of the Punkin' Chunkin' championships and of the World Pickle Ball event, but no Mosconi
Cup anything. Pool needs a big event that will draw interest from people besides the
pool community, and they need a David Beckham, or a Peyton Manning, and this person
doesn't necessarily need to be the best player, but they need to attract a following and
get an endorsement deal for something not pool related so the public see their face on
a regular basis.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to remember: women's pool PAID to have it's events on ESPN.

Just coz you see something there does not mean is isn't a financial failure.

I think pool needs a personality. Golf, Tennis, certainly Baseball, Football, Basketball,
Hockey, even LaCross, and Soccer, have players that maybe aren't the best but they
give a good interview. Most pool players lack reasonable social skills (one trip to NPR
will tell you that). The girls are generally easy to listen to and to watch, but most of the
American men give a horrible interview. They're not much fun. I think I saw Chris Melling
give a really good interview, I'm sure they enjoy that in Europe. Mizerak was good in an
interview and even in the commercial he made, but pool lacks personality and anyone
marketable. I think Earl had a chance, but he was a little too abrasive. Bowling a few
years ago had a guy, I remember he would pick up a difficult spare or get a strike at a
critical time and turn around and give a crotch chop, people loved it and for a while even
non bowlers tuned in to watch. Pool also need a sympathetic news source to do some
coverage. I don't think I saw anything about the Mosconi Cup. Hell, I eves saw coverage
of the Punkin' Chunkin' championships and of the World Pickle Ball event, but no Mosconi
Cup anything. Pool needs a big event that will draw interest from people besides the
pool community, and they need a David Beckham, or a Peyton Manning, and this person
doesn't necessarily need to be the best player, but they need to attract a following and
get an endorsement deal for something not pool related the public see their face on
a regular basis.