Help ID Snooker Cue

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Somebody died and left me this "BCE" snooker cue. I don't know nothin' 'bout no snooker - anybody recognize the maker? Is it a quality cue?

The 44" shaft comes with two interchangeable butts - 13" and 28 1/4".

pj
chgo

More pics to follow...
View attachment 62551

Attachments

• IMG_2853 small.JPG
    IMG_2853 small.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
BCE is a known maker of snooker cues. They're mostly about the lower and middle range of snooker cues, but they have some expensive ones as well, though I've never tried those. Personally I think they're "meh". They're ok, nothing to write home about. The thing about the "UK" makers of cues is that you get what you pay for. There are no deals. 100 pound cues hit like 100 pound cues sometimes worse.
https://www.rileyleisure.com/bcecues

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
BCE is a known maker of snooker cues. They're mostly about the lower and middle range of snooker cues, but they have some expensive ones as well, though I've never tried those. Personally I think they're "meh". They're ok, nothing to write home about. The thing about the "UK" makers of cues is that you get what you pay for. There are no deals. 100 pound cues hit like 100 pound cues sometimes worse.
https://www.rileyleisure.com/bcecues
Thanks.

I've only hit a few balls with it, and don't know what a snooker cue is supposed to feel like - but it didn't put me off.

It does squirt more than my tiny-tipped (9.5 mm) pool cue - probably because mine is hollow.

pj
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Snooker players value "even" chevrons on their ash cues. Chevrons are the arrow-like grains on the shaft. If the chevrons are well formed and evenly spaced on an ash blank, it's likely to be used for more expensive cues. There should not be too many, or too few. Also the straight grains should run straight up and down the shaft. (These are found on the opposite side from the chevrons). These things are perhaps the most "exotic" features of a snooker cue, to someone who's used to pool cues. The chevron thing is mostly about aestetics, I think, but obviously straight grains are always a plus.

Other than that, the balance, the hit and of course wether real exotic woods are used are important indicators to the quality of a snooker cue. The cueaper snooker cues are mostly using ebonized wood rather than proper ebony for the butt and are heavily artificially weighted to compensate. The cheap cues that use poor quality ash have very dull hits. When you compare with for instance a Parris cue or any other quality maker, you'll notice the better cue being much more springy and responsive.

The picture shows what I'd consider a good amount/spacing of chevrons in a shaft, though they can always be more well formed, and again, the straight grains are the most important thing.

Then there are such things as machine- vs. hand splicing of the butt, or wether the butt is properly spliced at all. Some cheap cues have a metal decorative "band" around the butt where the cue is glued and threaded, rather than spliced. Mye friend had one of those, I think it was a BCE "Ronnie O'Sullivan" cue. He sanded it and found out that not only was the butt not properly spliced but it was only superficially painted black. Those cues are not good!

Attachments

• o min.jpg
    o min.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Snooker players value "even" chevrons on their ash cues. Chevrons are the arrow-like grains on the shaft. If the chevrons are well formed and evenly spaced on an ash blank, it's likely to be used for more expensive cues. There should not be too many, or too few. Also the straight grains should run straight up and down the shaft. (These are found on the opposite side from the chevrons). These things are perhaps the most "exotic" features of a snooker cue, to someone who's used to pool cues. The chevron thing is mostly about aestetics, I think, but obviously straight grains are always a plus.

Other than that, the balance, the hit and of course wether real exotic woods are used are important indicators to the quality of a snooker cue. The cueaper snooker cues are mostly using ebonized wood rather than proper ebony for the butt and are heavily artificially weighted to compensate. The cheap cues that use poor quality ash have very dull hits. When you compare with for instance a Parris cue or any other quality maker, you'll notice the better cue being much more springy and responsive.

The picture shows what I'd consider a good amount/spacing of chevrons in a shaft, though they can always be more well formed, and again, the straight grains are the most important thing.

Then there are such things as machine- vs. hand splicing of the butt, or wether the butt is properly spliced at all. Some cheap cues have a metal decorative "band" around the butt where the cue is glued and threaded, rather than spliced. Mye friend had one of those, I think it was a BCE "Ronnie O'Sullivan" cue. He sanded it and found out that not only was the butt not properly spliced but it was only superficially painted black. Those cues are not good!
Great stuff - thanks!

I looked my Jimmy White BCE cue up at a couple of dealers and it looks like it sells for less than £100 / $75. That would be pretty low end for a pool cue - I don't think I lucked out and got a collectible.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The BCE name is somewhat like Brunswick over here....
...lotta farming out.

The best BCEs, in my opinion, were made by Adam in the 80s.
.....they won some majors....including the 1985 world championship...Dennis Taylor

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the purpose of the smaller length butt? I was under the impression jump shots are not allowed in snooker? If true, it must be for another reason...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh, never mind. I see with the posted dimensions, the smaller butt makes a standard length 57” cue. So the longer butt must be for long reach.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also own Jimmy White cue, very nice hit for a very reasonable price. You wont get rich selling it, on the other hand you will enjoy playing with it if you happen to find a snooker table ;)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh, never mind. I see with the posted dimensions, the smaller butt makes a standard length 57” cue. So the longer butt must be for long reach.

Yes, "proper" snooker cues are not a 50/50 split. Some of the lower end ones are.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Patrick,
I have the previous generation version at home and it was considered during it's time as an upper-mid-level cue. Has a neat weight bolt system (rings of brass) where the joint meets. Cool concept because you could add/remove weight yourself. The production cues have heavy brass ferrules which are setup for durability. I immediately would get a linen (black) version put on. It will play much better. Higher end cues have very thin walled version.

This is not the version but you get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ZKIaS4O6I

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Riley snooker cues are made in Taiwan or mainland China by TaiCan, same company that makes Predator/Lucasi/Player/Dufferin etc pool cues. .