Bacote vs. purpleheart

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Bocote vs PH

What are some of the similarities in tone and hit or differences?

IMO, bocote has a brighter hit than PH and it is a lot more expensive. Each has its place in cue building. Bocote is usually heavier than PH and is seldom, if ever, used for shafts or cores.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Both good hitting forearms.
I try to avoid capped melamine ferrules for them b/c they make the ferrule really loud and hard.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qmaker

I will bow to your superior knowledge, but in my humble experiences, I have found that purpleheart is just a bit more dense and a bit heavier than bocote.
bocote average dry weight is 53 lbs
purpleheart dry weight is 56 lbs

in the last 20 plus years of building cues, Seems that most ph I have had is heavier than the bocote I have used, might just be in my mind

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are about dead even all the way across the board. Purple heart causes more splinters. Bocote is capable of provoking an allergic reaction to the dust, purple heart isn't. The density of the two woods is almost identical across the range.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bocote threads better and a little less susceptible to buzzing in assembly compared to purpleheart imo.

Catamount

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want the best of both, you can get a full splice with a purpleheart nose and bocote back. This is my wife's, and it hits real nice.

05e1a2fbadee4c49b903da802de56acf_zpss4urdbmb.jpg

2b82ddfd89f6a9e57edf4fda990c4e45_zpst1oyr4yy.jpg

bdaaa488324b9824fc36fe0c9850cdfe_zpsadow2x2k.jpg

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
I dont know what difference it makes but if you wack those tow dowels together very hard one will beat the hell out of the other one. Something I do when I am bored.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
both good hitting forearms.
I try to avoid capped melamine ferrules for them b/c they make the ferrule really loud and hard.

i agree here any ferule in my opinion play better and feed back of hit as well! No need put a cup over the end of tenon. All this comes down to protection and warranty.

Last edited: