Necktie for pool?!

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I've got a tournament coming up soon and they are using a formal dress code, which means dress shoes, slacks, collared shirt and yes, a necktie. I think it's ridiculous but them's the rules..

I found an old bowtie and tried to play with it but it felt extremely restrictive and almost choking when I'm in my shooting stance. I have no idea about bowties so maybe it was too small?
Either way, I don't know how those snooker players do it.

So for who have experience with playing with a necktie, what kind of tie did you use and how did you cope, or is it just a matter of getting used to playing with one?

Cheers,
Vic

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
shirt is more important than the tie

The key to wearing a tie is the shirt. As mentioned, buy it a full size larger than your neck size when standing up. When trying the shirt on make sure that it stays loose and comfortable in the neck when you are down in your shooting stance. Might have to put something between your neck and collar or have a little help so you have three hands to tie the tie no tighter than the shirt itself.

A properly fitted tie isn't a big deal. Poorly fitted shirts and ties from my childhood made me dread the idea of being a professional having to wear a tie every day. Once I learned how to tie one it was no big deal. Talking standard ties here, no idea how to tie a bowtie but it would be the same deal, don't tie the tie any tighter than the shirt neck.

Hu

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses guys.
The crossover tie with a slightly over-sized shirt looks like the way to go for me.

Now all I need is a boy-band haircut and I can be just like Judd Trump! :cool:

Attachments

• trump.jpg
    trump.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 413

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Back in the day when I had to wear a suit everyday for work, it was not much of a problem playing during happy hour.

I just unbuttoned the top button & tucked the tie into the shirt between the 3rd. & 4th. button.

Good Luck with it & Shoot Well,
Rick

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
When I worked in the Funeral Home business, that's exactly what I did, English.

A person had to be versatile. From the Embalming Room to cleaning the washrooms and vacuuming. Never wore a tie tack.

Of corpse, when things got a little messy, I wore a lab coat.

Strangely enuff, we had a pool table in the rec room. I was working till approx 12 am one night. Which was typical of the Biz. 6am to 12am. Then, if you get a late night pick up from the morgue. I was playing the Ghost and it was kinda freaky.

But seriously, ya wanna experience some weird goings on. Stay in a Funeral Home late at night. Doors opening and closing by themselves. You were alone but you definitely knew that you had company.

People scoff and say, "There's no such thing". Ha, I beg to differ.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When I worked in the Funeral Home business, that's exactly what I did, English.

A person had to be versatile. From the Embalming Room to cleaning the washrooms and vacuuming. Never wore a tie tack.

Of corpse, when things got a little messy, I wore a lab coat.

Terry,

Odd that you brought up lab coats. I guess I recently read something here about dress code for players or something & I the thought of a Doctor's 'Lab Coat' came to mind since pool is such a surgically precise game.

Can you see Earl or Shane playing while wearing a Lab Coat?

Maybe it would be better if it wear a Black Lab Coat. Sort of like the 'Dusters' they wore in the Wild West.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

PS Please say a Prayer of my Wife & ME as she is having Knee Replacement Surgery this morning.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I did. And she will be up and at em in no time, kicking you in the butt with the leg with her new knee.

With todays technology in the Medical Field, when you hit 55, you should automatically just go in for new knees.

Just like getting the oil changed in the car.

"I see Mrs. English, you're due for a knee change, would you like the Delrin or the Teflon"? "We have a special on Linen Phenolic this week".

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I did. And she will be up and at em in no time, kicking you in the butt with the leg with her new knee.

With todays technology in the Medical Field, when you hit 55, you should automatically just go in for new knees.

Just like getting the oil changed in the car.

"I see Mrs. English, you're due for a knee change, would you like the Delrin or the Teflon"? "We have a special on Linen Phenolic this week".

Thanks for the laugh.

It's not the technology I'm worried about. It's the technicians that only 'practice' the craft of medicine...

And the patient is not in the best of shape for what is being done.

Thanks for the Prayer from your transmitter to His receiver.

Best to Ya,
Rick

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Just don't play. Don't conform to their bull**** standard they're trying to set.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you want pool to be a SPORT, dress like you're playing a sport not going to a business meeting.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
necktie

I've got a tournament coming up soon and they are using a formal dress code, which means dress shoes, slacks, collared shirt and yes, a necktie. I think it's ridiculous but them's the rules..

I found an old bowtie and tried to play with it but it felt extremely restrictive and almost choking when I'm in my shooting stance. I have no idea about bowties so maybe it was too small?

So for who have experience with playing with a necktie, what kind of tie did you use and how did you cope, or is it just a matter of getting used to playing with one?

Cheers,
Vic

I never had to wear a tie in competition but I do have a story.

Back in 1967, I had just got done doing a TV interview wearing a suit and tie, and followed it by having six vodka sours at the bowling alley. One of the teams was short and asked me to fill in, so I did and rolled a 730 series.

I did take off the suit coat and loosen my tie just a bit!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member

Cheers,
Vic

Back in 1967, I had just got done doing a TV interview wearing a suit and tie, and followed it by having six vodka sours at the bowling alley. One of the teams was short and asked me to fill in, so I did and rolled a 730 series.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Just don't play. Don't conform to their bull**** standard they're trying to set.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you want pool to be a SPORT, dress like you're playing a sport not going to a business meeting.

Heck, I work in the insurance industry, and we don't even wear ties anymore ?? Who the hell wants to wear one while playing their hobby.... geez, I imagine Ward Cleaver could run a 5 pack with a suit and tie, but not us mere mortals ;)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Nice series!!!

I don't suppose one of those tux t-shirts would fly would it?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Wisconsin

Nice series!!!

I don't suppose one of those tux t-shirts would fly would it?

Thanks!

I see you're from Wisconsin. I managed to set a number of records that season in the La Crosse area including seventeen 700 series in leagues and tournaments.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks!

I see you're from Wisconsin. I managed to set a number of records that season in the La Crosse area including seventeen 700 series in leagues and tournaments.

No kidding? Congrats!!! I used to bowl but I did not have time to practice and maintain my average so I quit instead. That was back when I was racing. For about 10 years in league I averaged low 200's. Never had a 300 though or a 800. 780 something high series and several 290 and 279 games, could never string all 12 in 1 game, frickin 8, 9, and 10 pins always, always wont fall when you really need them to!!!!