Keeping Score in 14.1

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
How do you guys keep score in 14.1? I ask because I played in a 14.1 tournament here recently and the scoring system and scoresheets were very contrived and everything had its own box where you had to mark, balls, made, innings, fouls, safeties, etc. The opponents were constantly watching and checking off balls as they were being made, which seemed like a waste of energy to me.

I'm not much of a straight pool player, but when I played back home, I used a scoring system where you just record the number of balls on the table everytime a player's turn ends. Then simply subtract the number of balls on the table at the beginning of the run from the number left when they are done (add 14 to the number everytime there is a re-rack). It's simple and no need to count during the games.

I've seen other ways to do it as well, so I'm just wondering how you all keep score and if you use scoresheets, I would appreciate if you could post those as well.

Thanks,
Vic

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you guys keep score in 14.1? I ask because I played in a 14.1 tournament here recently and the scoring system and scoresheets were very contrived and everything had its own box where you had to mark, balls, made, innings, fouls, safeties, etc. The opponents were constantly watching and checking off balls as they were being made, which seemed like a waste of energy to me.

I'm not much of a straight pool player, but when I played back home, I used a scoring system where you just record the number of balls on the table everytime a player's turn ends. Then simply subtract the number of balls on the table at the beginning of the run from the number left when they are done (add 14 to the number everytime there is a re-rack). It's simple and no need to count during the games.

I've seen other ways to do it as well, so I'm just wondering how you all keep score and if you use scoresheets, I would appreciate if you could post those as well.

Thanks,
Vic
We use beads but the idea of making the scored balls plus the balls on the table add to 15 is the same. Beads are much better than paper unless you need to track innings.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Beads are my favorite way, but if a room doesn't have them there are some phone aps that work well. The only thing is they do require a click for every ball. Also when playing with friends we sometimes will just call out the score after every ball like a referee then keep track on table counters.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Assuming the table has four sets of counters, you and your opponent each have two.

On the left side of each counter set, you each keep our own score for the rack. The ending total rack scores always end in 14, because the 15th ball is left to break. During the rack, your score, plus your opponent's score, plus the balls on the table end in 15, because that's how many balls are in play each rack. After each rack, with the 15th ball left on the table to break, you keep on accumulating the total score on the right counter of your counter set for whatever you're playing, 50, 100, whatever. In other words, between you and your opponent, you're adding a total of 14 balls per rack. It couldn't be more simple.

With overhead beads on the other hand, you do the same thing, but you have to be very careful, because there's no individual rack counter. You have to be conscious of the total score.

Scratches and fouls - take them off the total counter, not the rack counter. And realize when you or your opponent is in negative territory.

Clear?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carry Your Own.....

I carry two small portable 4 digit counters for separate score keeping.......you can either keep each other's scores or clear them each inning at the table
and manually track the running total scores........these were inexpensive (less than $7.00 for both - delv'd) & seem well suited for the basic task at hand.

Matt B.

p.s. I carry a small equipment bag that has Pro Pocket Reducers, extra cue balls,
bridges, table brushes, table spots, shims, (2) scales, (2) calipers (2), Tony Ryan
cue extender, etc. so tossing in some small counters like these is a cinch to do.

Attachments

• straight pool counter.JPG
    straight pool counter.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Those portable counters are pretty neat. What are they called and where do you get them?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With overhead beads on the other hand, you do the same thing, but you have to be very careful, because there's no individual rack counter. You have to be conscious of the total score.

Scratches and fouls - take them off the total counter, not the rack counter. And realize when you or your opponent is in negative territory.

Clear?

With beads, you dont slide the currect rack all the way to the middle until the rack is over and the count is double checked; They stay on the middle of the wire. Any fouls on the first rack, mark them on the back of the string and subtract them from the players total once the first rack is down.
Its no different than the counters, some people just dont know or understand and always slide the current rack to the middle which can screw up the rack count.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eBay item

victorl.

I got mine off eBay.........do a search under...."Round Base 4 Digit Manual Hand Tally Mechanical Palm Click Counter".......I paid $3.25 for mine and that was the cheapest price......there'll be 7-10 listings......for $7.00, how can you go wrong? I keep my opponents score and he keeps mine.......it works fine that way because you always know many balls of every rack you pocket and so I check my score before the start of every rack and so does my opponent. It also ships from your hemisphere (China).

Matt B.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Thank you Matt, I'll pick up a few and try them out. It seems like they could be useful for other games too where balls need to be counted like rotation/american rotation, APA rule 9-ball, etc.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I actually use an app on my phone called BilliardsBuddy. It's easier than looking for a pen because I always seem to have my phone with me.

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the beads cause you can quickly get a visual reference if you are in a tight match and see the score (let's say in the last rack and your opponent only needs less than a rack to win)

Plus it's easier to remove 15 points on a 3rd foul infraction.

To me anyways.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
When you talk about beads, do you mean that there are 2 sets of like 200 beads on a string above or somewhere near the table? I'm trying to picture it in my head.

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an Android app called 'Straight Pool Sheet'. It works great, you just select the number of balls remaining on the table at the end of an inning (click 'rack' at the end of each rack) and it calculates the score. There are several apps of this kind available on Apple and Android I believe.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you talk about beads, do you mean that there are 2 sets of like 200 beads on a string above or somewhere near the table? I'm trying to picture it in my head.

Most sets as they are sold have 50 on each side, so 100 total (one side dark, one side light colored). Some folks buy 2 sets etc and combine them, but a string of 50 each is sufficient, cause you just run them back every 50 points.

gpwsk.jpg

attachment.php

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have stated, if all you want to do is keep the score tally, then paper, counters, beads, clickers, will all serve the purpose. Some league keep additional stats (misses,safeties, fouls) etc for handicapping purposes. As someone mentioned, Billiards Buddy app for IOS works well. I prefer Straight Pool Deluxe - https://www.facebook.com/StraightPoolDeluxe

Very easy and keeps all the stats you would ever want. It's $5 in the app store - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id870290295

Edit: should mention that Straight Pool Deluxe in for iPad ONLY. Billiards Buddy can be used on iPhone.

Last edited: