kamui med

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
I put on a kamui med to dam hard for me.i was wondering if i take a layer or so off,would it make it a little softer hit. I might try a eik master any thoughts!

poohatur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The kamui rating system is off on hardness. You have to go to med soft for a medium hit.

joey900rr

What 9-ball fell?
Silver Member
Kamuii soft is like your average medium
super soft is like a soft.
I prefer the kamuii black soft.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The Kamui medium is a hard tip, even harder than other medium layered tips.
I may try them again because I'm starting to like a harder tip.
As long as I can play without a miscue, and draw the ball, the harder the better.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others said, they are off by one level compared to other tips. I currently play with a Kamui Black Medium, it's verging on almost being too hard and not holding chalk the way I like but it plays well (for me) and I don't mind it.

Taking a layer off will most likely only make it harder, not softer. That was the trick I used with my Soft tip that was too soft for me, I took off a layer or two to compress it a bit. Hitting over time would probably naturally do the same thing.

Try the Kamui Soft, or go with another medium tip like some of the Tiger products (Everest, new tip (Onyx?)) or Sniper.

Scott

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i found the black medium to be on the hard side, but still nicely playable. the brown medium however was like a rock and it was more like a break tip. i like the browns better, but wish there was something in between soft and medium.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal choice is that I prefer a Medium Moori. I have tried all the Kamui soft tips and they still seem harder than the Moori.
But like I say, it is a personal choice thing.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the medium black Kamui is the most consistent hitting tip out of all the Kamui's but still love the medium Morri's.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I play the medium black right now. I used to use a soft, but found myself taking it way down to get a firmer hit. I put on a medium to see if that would help me get a firmer hit without having to take the tip down so much, and I haven't looked back.

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude, in my humble yet extremely accurate opinion.. I highly recommend going with the Elk Master Filipino Recipe Modified of course.. Med/Med Hard Press... Right now the man with the best recipe consistency is a cue maker out of NM, Adam Franks... I dunno if hes in the business of selling tips but I do know he does like to help out your game if he can.

The best players in the world use these tips and they don't cost alot either... Kamui is a great tip, don't get me wrong, but the feel of the hit is dead once the ball is struck, it feels like it bounces off the ball and almost catches the cueball, which most good players don't like, myself included. What great players look for is a solid hit that delivers a transfer of enery from the tip to the ball and allows feedback thru the cue back to the player.

I hope this helps out and Kamui lovers, please hold the negativity.. I've tried them all and the best layered tip was the Med Morri when H. Morri was still with us. There is just something about those masters that deliver a consistent solid hit that sends the cue exactly where you aim it.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Dude, in my humble yet extremely accurate opinion.. I highly recommend going with the Elk Master Filipino Recipe Modified of course.. Med/Med Hard Press... Right now the man with the best recipe consistency is a cue maker out of NM, Adam Franks... I dunno if hes in the business of selling tips but I do know he does like to help out your game if he can.

The best players in the world use these tips and they don't cost alot either... Kamui is a great tip, don't get me wrong, but the feel of the hit is dead once the ball is struck, it feels like it bounces off the ball and almost catches the cueball, which most good players don't like, myself included. What great players look for is a solid hit that delivers a transfer of enery from the tip to the ball and allows feedback thru the cue back to the player.

I hope this helps out and Kamui lovers, please hold the negativity.. I've tried them all and the best layered tip was the Med Morri when H. Morri was still with us. There is just something about those masters that deliver a consistent solid hit that sends the cue exactly where you aim it.

Maybe just bad luck but the last 2 boxes of Elkmasters I purchased were crap. 90% turned to fuzz after installation. I finally gave the 2nd box away which was half full after wasting way too much time. Told my customers I was no longer installing Elkmasters.

Nice thing about Moori and Kamui is that they install very nicely and play consistently. Just my 2 cents... :cool:

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe just bad luck but the last 2 boxes of Elkmasters I purchased were crap. 90% turned to fuzz after installation. I finally gave the 2nd box away which was half full after wasting way too much time. Told my customers I was no longer installing Elkmasters.

Nice thing about Moori and Kamui is that they install very nicely and play consistently. Just my 2 cents... :cool:

That is because the elk Master is crap unless it's modified.. Usually soaked in a special solution the placed in a mold and pressed to the desired hardness then baked... These have many names, one is milk dud. I was referring to these elk masters. Not everyone makes them right, but the ones that do, hold onto them cuz these tips are nothing that you described.

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put on a kamui med to dam hard for me.i was wondering if i take a layer or so off,would it make it a little softer hit.

If it's a Black Kamui Med,.. No, taking layer off won't help.

I play with a Kamui Black Hard. Tried the all flavors of the Blacks. :grin-square: