Just Purchased a new Meucci w/ Pro Shaft

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
So I'm a new member and this is my 2nd post after my introductory thread post but anyways, after reading the last few days I'm greatly concerned about my recent purchase that I made w/ Meucci.

I played quite a bit when I was 16-22yrs old and I got really good for a kid that age and won some local bar tournaments but I gave it up to pursue baseball as I played in College and sports was also a my first love.

Anyways, I usually put in extensive research before buying things but I just didn't come to this site soon enough and didn't see as much bad things about Meucci as I have seen here.

I spent $600 and purchased a 19.5 oz. Meucci B&M-3 w/ Pro Shaft, uncoated linen wrap, and Soft Ultra Skin tip (see pic below). I'm still waiting on it to arrive as I just purchased it 3 days ago. On their website it said just 1-2 extra days before delivery but when I emailed about ETA they said Meucci was behind some and I should get it shipped to me by 1-week.

Anyways, I hope i didn't make a colossal mistake. I was real close to getting a McDermott or Predator but ended up going w/ a Meucci as it seemed to be the lowest deflection shaft.

image.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many like the old Meucci Originals. You will also find a lot of criticism about Meucci cues both old an new.

In the end it is a personal decision and if you like the cue and it plays as you like then enjoy it.

I support the notion that it is US made.

I think it's a nice looking cue. Enjoy it.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
You will be fine with the purchase.... Remember this...... If there was one cue brand better than all others, we would all play with the same brand...................................Enjoy....

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a slew of friends who play with Meucci's, all seem to speak very highly of them.

I, for one don't really like the hit. But to each their own!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a span of a few years where their quality went downhill and much of the criticism resulting from that was well deserved. I believe that basically bob had a hands off approach regarding his business for a while and once he started getting a negative feedback he got more involved in day to day operations and consequently quality has somewhat improved.

I have met bob a few times and have played league at his factory. I was there one night when Skylar Woodward was in their with bob going over certain shots. There was another young pro there also whose name escapes me right now.

He has a table set up with a robotic arm where he tests quote a few cues...for deflection I guess.

I live right down the road from his factory and know one guy who works there. If need be I might can light a fire under someone's ass for you....then again I may not get anywhere with it.:D

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
There was a span of a few years where their quality went downhill and much of the criticism resulting from that was well deserved. I believe that basically bob had a hands off approach regarding his business for a while and once he started getting a negative feedback he got more involved in day to day operations and consequently quality has somewhat improved.

I have met bob a few times and have played league at his factory. I was there one night when Skylar Woodward was in their with bob going over certain shots. There was another young pro there also whose name escapes me right now.

He has a table set up with a robotic arm where he tests quote a few cues...for deflection I guess.

I live right down the road from his factory and know one guy who works there. If need be I might can light a fire under someone's ass for you....then again I may not get anywhere with it.:D

Appreciate that lorider but I believe (hope) everything will be fine and I'll get the cue in an acceptable lead time. If something delays further I may PM you.

Something I don't get a little is why wouldn't Meucci include joint protectors in purchases of cues over a certain amount. I would think it is also in their best interest for the protectors to be included as not having them could effect the product that they make which would hurt their perceived quality.

Quite please with the responses as I thought my post woul just go unnoticed. The respect for each other in these forums is good to see.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many like the old Meucci Originals. You will also find a lot of criticism about Meucci cues both old an new.

In the end it is a personal decision and if you like the cue and it plays as you like then enjoy it.

I support the notion that it is US made.

I think it's a nice looking cue. Enjoy it.

Agreed. Put it out of your head. Shoot with the cue, without any preconceived notions. Looks decent. It might play just as well.
Best regards.
Joe P

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Your purchase will be just fine. Don't sweat it. Meucci did have a period in the late 90s early 2000s where their quality control seemed to go really down hill. I got a model from the their 95 line for my 12th birthday, and I still have it and it has no issues other than a little shaft warpage which is my fault. It's my understanding that the current Meuccis are quite good, and I've heard good things about the pro shaft.

As far as the joint protectors go most people buy them as an add on anyway so if a cue doesn't come with them it's not really a big deal.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Great looking cue. I'm still shooting with a Power Piston with a Black Dot shaft on and I'm perfectly happy with it. Way too many people have fallen victims to Predator's massive marketing during the mid 00s and started talking loads of nonsense about Meucci.

Enjoy your cue, mate!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Back in the early 80's I got on a Moose league team. I didn't own a cue and needed one. There were basically only two cues that everyone in the league played with and that was because there were two people in the league that sold cues. One sold Meucci and the other McDermott so there was a camp for both.

I didn't know much about cues. One player told me about a cue dealer that sold many brands and gave good prices. I visited him and he sold me on a fairly new brand called Schon. He said to him they were just as good as if not better than a Joss (Stroud) that he had for sale at $600.

I ended up buying a Schon for $125. Took it to the league and everyone told me that I got ripped off for paying that much for a off brand cue that was a piece of crap.

Today I get a lot of compliments about how nice it is to play and requests to sell it.

Enjoy your cue.

🎱

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love Meucci cues. I still own a couple. I regret getting rid of two I had.

I really like the idea that Meucci offers a 3/8-10 joint now.

Remember that more champions won tournaments with Meucci than any other (I think that still holds true).

Freddie <~~~ has the coolest Meucci

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the look of your cue! I had one out of Bob's first catalog and was the first in the room I played in to have one. I sold it when I bought my custom made Joss by Dan Janes. I had a several different ones over the years but was never really happy with any of them. A while back I was at Lori-Jon's Pool Tables Plus in Greenville, SC. Lori-Jon's ex-husband is an old friend of mine and he let me hit a couple of the new ones, one of which Lori-Jon had used while Bob was refinishing her personal cue. I really like the look and hit of the ones I tried. I'm not in the market so didn't buy one. I'm sure you'll like yours. Hope you get it soon!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Good deal by all accounts

Ive recently been looking at Meucci. By all accounts you did good. I study squirt and things of that nature and I dont see anything wrong with your purchase or the price. I own equipment of several types and have played with most of it out there. The fact that I'm now looking toward Meucci should say something.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
I've already purchased joint protectors but was hoping they would provide them that matched the cue. My main point was as a manuf I would want to include them even for an additional cost.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm looking forward to getting it and might video the unboxing.

Now I need to figure out how to get into some local leagues in Houston. I've already joined APA and the local Houston chapter and have asked to be placed on a team who is looking.