Pocket Zones - How Champions Makes the Pocket Bigger

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Physically making a pocket bigger on the pool table is not possible without tools, however, the way you go about pocketing balls does increase the size of the target.....the pocket in pocket billiards, same as the fairway or green in golf, or the court in tennis is the ZONE.

I was quizzing Dennis Orcollo, who is known as one of the top shotmakers in the world, he said "when playing on new cloth and big pockets I use mostly a touch of outside, when playing on tight pockets, with worn cloth I favor a touch of inside.

This was interesting and makes a lot of sense. I made a fortune gambling, mostly in pool rooms where the cloth was worn and the pockets tight, so I favored the Touch of Inside on most of my shots....and even played my position with that in mind.

For many pool players it's a natural tendency to want to spin shots in with outside "helping" English. This technique is very useful, especially if you're trying to change the natural angle of the cue ball after contact.

There's another way to do this if you want to "master a shot" so you can hit the three parts of the pocket. To do this you must become more accurate and develop a "FEEL" for the pocket.

This isn't any more difficult, it just requires you to simplify your Game and reduce calculations.

There are three {main} calculations you make to be accurate using "outside English,"

1st) - you must judge the immediate deflection

2nd) - you must judge how much the spin brings the cue ball "back" to it's original "shot line".

3rd) - you must decide where to hit the cue ball to accomplish the intended shot. (these calculations are related, but not necessarily connected like they are with the TOI Technique)

You will find it's necessary to hit these shots at a variety of speeds and a variety of spins to do what you need with the cue ball.

This takes a LOT of different calculations because speed effects deflection AND spin. Where you hit the cue ball and how far over to get your "outside English" also effects deflection AND spin.

Over the course of hours, you will have to make numerous calculations and instinctive judgments to make every shot as planned. With the 'Touch Of Inside' system of play I am showing you how to reduce the amount of calculations and instinctive judgments considerably.

The 'Touch of Inside' Technique shows you how to hit one "theme" of speeds, one "theme" of spins, and one "theme" of deflection.

I have played many champion players in my life and the only concern I had was if they would play long enough. Because, even though this edge against other accomplished players isn't huge, it will show up over time.

If you're cutting a ball at a "half ball" angle down the rail to the left and using "outside" (right English") you cue ball is immediately going to deflect into the object ball slightly.

To overcome undercutting it you will need to spin the cue ball to make it curve back and the spin will help cut it in. This may "FEEL" like it's helping the cut, but IS IT REALLY?

You are having to hit the speed correctly, the spin correctly, the contact point (shot line) correctly and hit the cue ball precisely to do this.

I'm sure you do this very well, but how about under pressure?

How do you make all these calculations playing a champion player? This is where your unconscious will start to falter and break down.

How about over the course of a 5-10 hour set, do you rely on your game to get better and better or do you have "ups and downs?"

With the 'Touch of Inside' Technique I teach players how to use (as much as possible, of course there's exceptions, and less that you may think) ONE SPEED - ONE SHOT ANGLE REFERENCE (center or edge) - ONE TIP TARGET (the "Touch" of Inside).

The one thing you guard against {using TOI} is overcutting the ball, however, if you're going to miss a shot would you rather over cut it or under cut it?

I don't know about you, but when I under cut a shot I feel like a "dogged it," however, when I over cut a shot I feel like I know what I need to do to correct what I did wrong.

Understanding how to create Pocket Zones will increase consistency, strengthen confidence and makes your Game strong, reliable, and very intimidating.

Try it and you'll experience a new level of shotmaking and consistency within just a few hours, make sure to look at the pocket as a zone and stay away from "center cueball".

If you have any questions about shot making, or pocket zones let me know, when you want more specific training going me at www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

I play this way.

When I tell people that I'm playing the "inside of the cue ball" on almost every shot, they don't believe me. I tell the to stand behind me an watch where I'm hitting the cue ball.

Then they try it and it feels "unnatural" to them and they revert back to what they were doing.

It takes some time getting used to, but is worth the effort to learn.

If you don't like it, go back to what you were doing.

I like the way the cue ball plays "flat" when it comes off the object ball and hits a rail. The inside neutralizes the outside English put on the cue ball by the contact of the object ball.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have a question for you CJ:

When you're typing all this stuff, are you still driving?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
As long as we are asking questions..
Did DeanoC ask CJ to start posting again as a diversion?

Dennis Orcullo told me how he makes the pockets bigger:

"De more money you bet me, de bigger my pocket gets."

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When most of us watch billiards and are trying to learn, we watch people like CJ Wiley, Steve Davis, Strickland, Etc. This is a positive because we want to learn from the best.

However, I also learn from watching newbies. We can all understand the ‘why’‘ as to why they miss but we rarely think about ‘how’ they actually miss. The stats are quite startling. I’ve actually stood and watched. About 80 to 85% of misses are not putting enough cut on the ball. Undercutting. This is so obvious when you stop and watch newbies. They aren’t undercutting half the time and over cutting half. A newbie can miss 5 shots in a row...everyone by not cutting enough. The irony is he doesn’t even notice...it’s just ‘a miss’. It seems ‘unnatural’ to put enough cut on a shot.

Why is this important. Because most of these newbies are quite intelligent and can thread a needle, throw a baseball to first base, or dribble a basketball. They are natural physicists without having to study physics. We understand how to function in the natural world. This tells me that the brain has us under cutting shots on the table because that’s how we naturally calculate the situation. Therefore we have to recognize this and put efforts mostly into compensating for this natural tendency.

I know that I can undercut if not concentrating at the table. My brain drifts back into What seems a natural shot to my eyes and brain.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Multi Tasking Adventures on the Road

I have a question for you CJ:

When you're typing all this stuff, are you still driving?

You bet!

Today I made a video about hustling the RACK in Detroit, typed this post, figured out what Operation Warp Speed really is {simultaneously}, while driving without a seatbelt!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You bet!

Today I made a video about hustling the RACK in Detroit, typed this post, figured out what Operation Warp Speed really is {simultaneously}, while driving without a seatbelt!

Life in the fast lane! Orcullo is the bomb. Coolest player I've ever met.

Where are you headed? There's nowhere to go.

What we really want to hear is what happened with that girl with the dresses. That would be a good road story. :wink:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
planted a garden and shooting a bow, brushing up on my hunting skills

Life in the fast lane! Orcullo is the bomb. Coolest player I've ever met.

Where are you headed? There's nowhere to go.

What we really want to hear is what happened with that girl with the dresses. That would be a good road story. :wink:

I just planted a garden and shooting a bow, brushing up on my hunting skills, getting back to my roots, figuring out where this Planademic is headed.

What girl with the dresses?

I made a video about a girl I dated a few days ago, her mother arrested the Eye Ball Killer in Dallas, a notorious serial killer. After I posted it some people researched who she was and found out some disturbing news.....bizarre times we are in.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I just planted a garden and shooting a bow, brushing up on my hunting skills, getting back to my roots, figuring out where this Planademic is headed.

What girl with the dresses?

I made a video about a girl I dated a few days ago, her mother arrested the Eye Ball Killer in Dallas, a notorious serial killer. After I posted it some people researched who she was and found out some disturbing news.....bizarre times we are in.

Cool - bow hunting sounds like fun. It was Mary, she was helping you for awhile. Do you ever play in tournaments anymore, or just focused on teaching? I've always enjoyed seeing your old matches.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C.J.,
All that gambling on worn cloth, makes me suspect the balls were seldom clean (?). So, I wonder if constantly using inside, you likely suffered a lot of skids over the years?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Next week mushroom hunting, we are on a river which is ideal for wild Morel mushrooms

Cool - bow hunting sounds like fun. It was Mary, she was helping you for awhile. Do you ever play in tournaments anymore, or just focused on teaching? I've always enjoyed seeing your old matches.

I average playing a tournament every 6-8 months which isn't enough to win professional tournaments, it's not really in my blood anymore, teaching is more engaging.

Mary is doing well, I communicated with her a few weeks ago, since I'm not in Texas we haven't gone to lunch like we usually do in months.

One of the few stores open in this area is a hunting/fishing store the owner is an expert with a bow, I love to shoot, as a kid I put in many hours with bows, and rifles. He also has a pool table at his house, we played last week.

Next week mushroom hunting, we are on a river which is ideal for wild Morel mushrooms....brings back memories I used to love those mushrooms as a kid. One thing about this reset, I appreciate the outdoors and simpler things in life more again.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
One thing about this reset, I appreciate the outdoors and simpler things in life more again.

I can see that. I was thinking about heading up to the mountains myself near Tahoe to get a little vacation. With nothing open, there's not a lot to do. Good luck to you.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ, doesn’t your suggestion to stay away from center cue ball directly contradict with what many instructors prescribe to? At any rate, it’s nice to have you on this forum contributing your expertise!

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I'm not competing anymore I am willing to show all my secrets,

CJ, doesn’t your suggestion to stay away from center cue directly conflict with what many instructors prescribe to? At any rate, it’s nice to have you on this forum contributing your expertise!

Yes, most instructors are used to teaching beginners, which "center ball" is fine at first.

Like in golf, and tennis pool is a game of percentages and creating ways to increase margin of error. Hitting a golf ball straight, a tennis ball straight or hitting a cue ball in the center won't allow zones to be played.

The only thing I did better than the competition is shooting long shots off the end rail, even with this shot I played zones with a Touch of Inside.

Kim Davenport had a game called Target Pool, he had a big tournament in Vegas and Mass. with all the best players there because in conjunction with a pro tournament. The one in Vegas was $3500 first prize and I won it the one in Mass was $2500 first prize and I won that one too.

I say this to document that what I"m saying isn't just good sounding and makes sense on paper, it's been proven in serious competition. Since I'm not competing anymore I am willing to show all my secrets, many are already on my website and I have a few more that I'm going to share as soon as I get to a nice table and game room suitable for videoing.

Until then I'll be happy to answer any specific questions, or give you a video to watch that will show in more detail, it's helpful to see these techniques done on a table with real pool balls.