Anyone find it harder to shoot with a 30" shaft?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two OB1 shafts, a 30" and a 29", otherwise identical. I find that I miss quite a bit more with the 30", especially on slow spin/drag type shots where it seems that the cueball deflects differently than with a 29" shaft.

Anyone else see this in their game? Longer butt, shorter shaft seems fine, I don't think it's the overall length of the cue, but soon as I go to a longer shaft, I start missing more.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I make a lot of 30" shafts for players......... they all love them........ not one complaint....

must be you

Kim

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Years ago I ordered an OB1 30" shaft and never looked back. Love it. Obviously, when I switched to an OB2 I went with the 30" version too. The cue (OB121) just feels better balanced with the 30" shaft.

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
I've played with 30+" shafts for over 20 years...now I find it hard to play with standard 29" ones.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pair of original 31 inch shafts for my Huebler (29 inch butt). I love them. I also have an original 29 inch shaft for it. I prefer the 31.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recently experimented with a 30" shaft and yes, I have found it more difficult. I am returning to a 29" shaft.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried numerous 30 and 31 and shafts over the years Never liked any of them.
Have a 31inch i2 for sale now.3/8×10 plain blk collar 12.75
V e r y little use;)

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most likely it's body mechanics.
You should be able to shoot the same with either shaft.
Try adjusting the position of your grip hand on the wrap.
Also, is the length of the taper identical on both shafts?
If the taper differs, it could throw off your aiming a bit (with a closed bridge especially) if you're used to the other shaft.
Is one significantly heavier than the other?
The pendulum of your elbow doesn't change.
So think about other physical variables.
There are allot of short players I see shooting with 60+ inch cues.
Some even longer, with the mid cue extension that's so popular these days.
I would think the extra inch would allow you a more true follow through on your stroke... :thumbup:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have two OB1 shafts, a 30" and a 29", otherwise identical. I find that I miss quite a bit more with the 30", especially on slow spin/drag type shots where it seems that the cueball deflects differently than with a 29" shaft.

Anyone else see this in their game? Longer butt, shorter shaft seems fine, I don't think it's the overall length of the cue, but soon as I go to a longer shaft, I start missing more.

Probably just differences between the shafts. It can take a few weeks of practice to fully adjust from one shaft to another. Once you adjust to the 30" shaft, likely you'll miss more with the other one.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using 30" predator and OB shafts for years, I won't even consider a 29" shaft anymore. If I would buy a custom cue today I would order 60" cue, 30 butt, 30 shaft. I like shooting with a long bridge.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably just differences between the shafts. It can take a few weeks of practice to fully adjust from one shaft to another. Once you adjust to the 30" shaft, likely you'll miss more with the other one.

That's the thing, same shaft model, same tip, 1" longer and the deflection properties change. It also feels to me a bit less solid, almost like the taper is narrower even though it's the same diameter.

TAP

"Banks are Always Open!"
Silver Member
I'm with FRANKIE!

I started using a mid cue extension about a year ago. At first I fought the idea, thinking it would throw the balance of the cue off. On the contrary, it gave me more forward weight, and improved my follow thru. I've since had a few friends use the extension(s), and they all love the added length.

The longer shafts should have no real effect on your shooting.

Each to their own.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That's the thing, same shaft model, same tip, 1" longer and the deflection properties change. It also feels to me a bit less solid, almost like the taper is narrower even though it's the same diameter.

My experience is the OB, Tiger and Predator 30" shafts have the same taper as a 29" shaft. The extra length comes from the joint side not being trimmed as much.However, there can be internal differences due to minor errors in the manufacturing process (even for otherwise identical shafts). Usually OB, Tiger and Predator are pretty consistent, but my experience is they are not 100% consistent due to manufacturing tolerances, shafts being made on different machines, etc. I always seem to favor one shaft or another even for supposedly identical shafts.

I would say a better player is a lot more prone to notice subtle differences because their game is more precise than an average player. My advice is to practice with the 30" shaft for a few weeks, then switch back if you think your game has declined.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Personally I didn't find any problem switching between 29 and 30". For that reason I'm likely to keep ordering 30" shafts from now on so I can enjoy the extra reach.