Tight Pockets

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 4.25 inch pockets is it possible this Gold Crown IV can play too tough? One poster told me that would be brutal to play on. I've noticed I'm not getting too many chances off the break the last few days.

r/DCP

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Just play some snooker for a while and those pockets will start to feel like buckets.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 4.25 inch pockets is it possible this Gold Crown IV can play too tough? One poster told me that would be brutal to play on. I've noticed I'm not getting too many chances off the break the last few days.

r/DCP
Try 3&7/8's. At T'sBilliards in Tulsa that's the size on table #2. Absolutely brutal. The other three they have measure a "spacious" 4".

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Huh! You've been saying the same thing for the past 10 years, when you had buckets! Oh boy...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

New things are new.

After you get used to it, you'll be used to it

And get a magic rack.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 4.25 inch pockets is it possible this Gold Crown IV can play too tough? One poster told me that would be brutal to play on.

r/DCP

Huh! You've been saying the same thing for the past 10 years, when you had buckets! Oh boy...

DUH?? ya' think so??? You catch on quick! Time for another cue thread; or chalk, or cloth color, or cling, or lighting, or dropping the proverbial rock, or rails, or cushions, or a break pad, or getting another freakin' hobby... :help::thud:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
You went the wrong way with tightening the pockets... this would be much better I think.

Attachments

• pooltable2.jpg
    pooltable2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,947

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tight pockets tear you game down then you have to work out and you will be better player after a while. Happened to me..

*improving guaranteed

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

r/DCP

Why put tight pockets on your home table if that's the only table you ever play on? You're not practicing for anything. Your just playing at home, by yourself, without competition, over and over again.

I'm an advocate for solo shooting at home, but dont torture yourself there unless it is for a bigger reason like getting in some form of competition elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tight pocket debate has been waged a million times already. I still believe that unless a table is going to be exclusively a one pocket table or an action table, anything smaller than 4 1/4" actually detracts from the game, moreover if your table is solely for recreational purposes. I can shoot on small pocket tables, but it's not nearly as fun for rotation games/14.1 where you need to stroke a ball every once in a while. It's such a frustrating thing to know that your stroke could get you where you need to be for the next shot but since the table plays so stupid, you're better off playing safe. That's really just no fun.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When setting up my own GCIV, I had this discussion with the table mechanic. We settled on 4 5/8", with the ability to go down easily to 4 1/2" if I desired by going to thinner facings. We came to this conclusion as the pocket is still big enough to cheat the pocket for position, and not to tight for recreational play, but still tight enough to be a challenge.

I am happy with the result, its tight enough for me. I have had recreational players visiting that after playing for a while, say " hey, whats up with the pockets?" so some have noticed the difference.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member

r/DCP

Too tough? The smaller the pocket, the harder the table will play. Your table is going to play like a 4.25" sized pocket table. If you had the pockets tightened to 4.25", it sounds like it should play exactly how you wanted it to play.

I think 4.25" pockets on a Gold Crown should play fine.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just fascinated that 4.25" is considered "tight" pockets. I thought that was about normal size, with the rooms that cater to the general population having 4.5" and 5" pockets.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may take some time getting used to. :scratchhead: I was just simply bored running rack after rack after rack. Just wan't any fun anymore...

Russian_billiards_ball_at_a_corner_pocket.jpg

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
I had Jack Zimmerman tighten mine from 5.5 to 4.5 then finally to 4.375. I play leagues on diamond bar boxes which are 4.5. I love it

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Generally speaking, I've found that 4.25 is suitable for one pocket and straight pool (yes, I said straight pool ya pack o' nitts) and anything over is better for 8/9/10/banks. Then you get some tables that just get to be super tight like the old table one at hard time (Sub 4") and so forth. I really prefer a 4.25 pocket size purely for the fact that when I am playing on normal tables with larger pockets, Im pretty much free-wheeling and feeling as fresh as I should feel.... like a summers eve.

Keep shooting, you will get into it.

Lesh