Tight Pockets

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure that I could not even make a hanger on one of those tables.:eek:

I have a difficult enough time making a few balls on my stock Brunswick pockets. Just curious 'cause I'm not a golfer, have they reduced the size of the cup in the game of golf?

I'm prolly mistaken, but I wonder if even Earl plays with 'em that tight. Were Diamond's pockets what started all of this?

It's great if you're an all star, but at 4.25" I think that is too small for an industry standard; particularly for hacks like myself...

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I like 4" pockets, and don't really like playing on anything bigger. As long as the pocket accepts a ball down the rail, make them as tight as you can. I'd love to get on a Chinese 8 ball table sometime. I used to practice 9 ball on a 12' snooker table.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Could it be he is aiming wrong on the cueball? I mean he uses the clock method and we just switched from daylight saving time.

He hasn't started a thread about that yet, has he?

DUH?? ya' think so??? You catch on quick! Time for another cue thread; or chalk, or cloth color, or cling, or lighting, or dropping the proverbial rock, or rails, or cushions, or a break pad, or getting another freakin' hobby... :help::thud:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be he is aiming wrong on the cueball? I mean he uses the clock method and we just switched from daylight saving time.

By Jove, you may have hit upon it!!!

backwards-clock.jpg

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Too tough? The smaller the pocket, the harder the table will play. Your table is going to play like a 4.25" sized pocket table. If you had the pockets tightened to 4.25", it sounds like it should play exactly how you wanted it to play.

I think 4.25" pockets on a Gold Crown should play fine.

They do play great. If i want to run out. I have to WANT to run out. I love it. Next time, I say we put 4s on it, Todd. I like to shoot straight, and im shooting as straight as i did when i was younger, and its only because of tight pockets

Attachments

• 20151003_201452.jpg
    20151003_201452.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how the op plays but the table could be to tough for a low level player.....i would be fine with it now but if i had to play on that table 5 years ago i probably would have quit pool.....im sure if u play on it everyday and especially if u do drills on that table u will become used to it

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Obviously, if he has that problem, he has to move to either Arizona or Saskatchewan. :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let see some pics, dcp. put two balls in the mouth.

Yeah, I said it.

Seriously...maybe an update to the home table thread ?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have gambled a lot on trap snooker and pool tables.
....but I have NEVER played on one for pleasure or practise.

The smallest pockets I would have in my home would be 4.5

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I have gambled a lot on trap snooker and pool tables.
....but I have NEVER played on one for pleasure or practise.

The smallest pockets I would have in my home would be 4.5

Also, imo, super tight pockets does a disservice to the full spectrum of pool games. Banks especially. Our game has enough trouble as it is. How many baks games have you ever seen on a snooker table? I'm all for folks getting tight tables for their home. However, I am unsure that it makes them any better and I feel it may actually harm their game. To each their own though.

P.S. I've got a diamond pro and I think that it is tough but fair for all games.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 made pool easier for lower level players. The old GC1&2&3 pockets were avg 4 3/4-5 in.. The idea was to get more players into pool.
Then, good players would put racks together, and the 'powers that be' said: we
cant have this! Why? Anyway, instead of going back to a slower cloth, 'they' said:
Make the pockets tight. And they did. But that didnt work ( cloth was still too easy ).
So, the pkts got tighter and tighter ( 4 in at hard times, 4 1/8 at TAR, etc ).
Then, opps, nobody can run out but the best in the world! The rest of us suffer;
'They' dont care about us....duh.
So, now, the tighter the pockets, the closer everyone's speed is closer together.
Its the same on the old bar tables, the smaller the tbl and the bigger the pockets,
the closer everyone's speed comes together.
So, the ;powers that be' gave up (BCA) and now every TD/ promoter sets their own
standards. As my man Alvin says: 'It's Chaos! ".
Play on whatever you LIKE! Pool will never be slow again: too bad, you needed a good stroke then, now ...D players move whitey 4-5 rails...its a joke.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 made pool easier for lower level players. The old GC1&2&3 pockets were avg 4 3/4-5 in.. The idea was to get more players into pool.
Then, good players would put racks together, and the 'powers that be' said: we
cant have this! Why? Anyway, instead of going back to a slower cloth, 'they' said:
Make the pockets tight. And they did. But that didnt work ( cloth was still too easy ).
So, the pkts got tighter and tighter ( 4 in at hard times, 4 1/8 at TAR, etc ).
Then, opps, nobody can run out but the best in the world! The rest of us suffer;
'They' dont care about us....duh.
So, now, the tighter the pockets, the closer everyone's speed is closer together.
Its the same on the old bar tables, the smaller the tbl and the bigger the pockets,
the closer everyone's speed comes together.
So, the ;powers that be' gave up (BCA) and now every TD/ promoter sets their own
standards. As my man Alvin says: 'It's Chaos! ".
Play on whatever you LIKE! Pool will never be slow again: too bad, you needed a good stroke then, now ...D players move whitey 4-5 rails...its a joke.

Tap tap tap!