White Oak?

mfarrey71

CueNut71
Silver Member
Some of the old Titlists were oak. I have one converted by Steve Klapp. It's very solid but the problem is it's really dense thus making it a very heavy wood.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I've used Oak for the wrap-handle on several cues I've built.
Given my druthers, I prefer Red.

KJ

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Over last summer I spent a couple months cutting maple for shafts. While on one of my scouting trips, I came across a log that was sunken deep into the ground but I noticed that the exposed cap was figured. I knew right away that it was chestnut oak (a white oak) because the stuff simply won't rot away. After cleaning it up and milling, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was heavily curled and absolutely no deterioration aside from bug holes. I retrieved a couple hundred bf from that log. Turned most of it into my new bathroom vanity, gave a table slab to a family woodworker, and turned some leftovers into cue woods. Still have a few slabs yet. Might cut them into cue squares, might not. Considering there were remnants of a fence in the tree, and the family has never put fence up on that ridge, the tree is from around WWI when the army "borrowed" the property by imminent domain for use as an artillery range and this tree was on the edge of the range. None of the family elders even knew there was a fence up there. My uncle said he's been hunting that ridge for 70yrs & there had never been a fence there. Makes this log pretty old.

Here's a forearm/butt set I made so far. The color is bleached out by the flash. The wood is naturally a little darker than the pic shows. Best part is that it smells like bourbon when working! Not sure about the "great playability". It's a very hard wood, stiff, strong, but lacking in the tonal dept. Time will tell

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Over last summer I spent a couple months cutting maple for shafts. While on one of my scouting trips, I came across a log that was sunken deep into the ground but I noticed that the exposed cap was figured. I knew right away that it was chestnut oak (a white oak) because the stuff simply won't rot away. After cleaning it up and milling, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was heavily curled and absolutely no deterioration aside from bug holes. I retrieved a couple hundred bf from that log. Turned most of it into my new bathroom vanity, gave a table slab to a family woodworker, and turned some leftovers into cue woods. Still have a few slabs yet. Might cut them into cue squares, might not. Considering there were remnants of a fence in the tree, and the family has never put fence up on that ridge, the tree is from around WWI when the army "borrowed" the property by imminent domain for use as an artillery range and this tree was on the edge of the range. None of the family elders even knew there was a fence up there. My uncle said he's been hunting that ridge for 70yrs & there had never been a fence there. Makes this log pretty old.

Here's a forearm/butt set I made so far. The color is bleached out by the flash. The wood is naturally a little darker than the pic shows. Best part is that it smells like bourbon when working! Not sure about the "great playability". It's a very hard wood, stiff, strong, but lacking in the tonal dept. Time will tell

Looks like Satinwood to me. :p

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
It has flecks and rays just like the curly white oak in my basement. I have a white oak Schuler and it has a very firm hit. Granted, it will feel firm at 18.2 oz, but my other Schulers are all under 19 oz. and they don't feel close to as firm as the oak cue. In comparison to many of the exotic hardwoods we use, oaks are light.

daxe

custom cues & repair
Silver Member
Oak Cues

Here is a cue I built out of White Oak several years ago it has two shafts one standard and one L-D that I Make also with stack leather wrap and Turquoise rings hits medium at 18.5 very sssweet. It now resides in Monroe La in a happy home

Dan Axe

Attachments

• black oak-leather sneaky 002.jpg
    black oak-leather sneaky 002.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 287
  • black oak-leather sneaky 004.jpg
    black oak-leather sneaky 004.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 290
  • black oak-leather sneaky 006.jpg
    black oak-leather sneaky 006.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 284
  • black oak-leather sneaky 007.jpg
    black oak-leather sneaky 007.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 281
  • black oak-leather sneaky 008.jpg
    black oak-leather sneaky 008.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 288

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Here's some of my curly white oak. It looks a lot better in person. The pic was over exposed. There's actually a good bit of curl from end to end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Here's some stuff that came out of some firewood. It has yet to dry or be stabilized, but it shows a lot of potential. It has been soaked in Pentacryl to keep it from cracking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 269