Confession....

TheYankee

Registered
Until I joined this site, I had never heard of 10 ball....true story. :eek:

My pool days primarily took place when I was around 18-20, then picked up again briefly when I was around 25, then faded away again. I'm now 43 and am just now hearing about 10 ball. So is that something that has developed in the last 20 years or so? :confused:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Me, too. Played from 15 years of age in the late 60s until 1992 competively. Since then, pool took the backseat to 14 hour consulting days. Played in bars around the world easily keeping a table until I got tired, but not competively. Slowing down now and want to try and pick back up. Read a lot about 10 ball but never played it. Look foward to doing so.

TheYankee

Registered
Conceptually, it appeals to me far more than 9 ball. I never cared much for 9 ball for the very reasons that I'm reading many prefer 10 ball. I have yet to play a game but am looking forward to doing so.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally 10 ball came about to slow the break monsters of 9ball. Then SVB figured out to master the 3 rail 10ball break back in the TAR days. >>>watch me learning it here https://vimeo.com/18252195 <<<and then it was 12ball, then we naturally went to full rack rotation like Efren plays. Which really is the best game to practice IMO. Learn rotation and any game becomes easier naturally. I have recently started to play after a few year layoff to shoulder injuries. I still suck! :)

Have fun, G.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The first time I remember hearing about 10 ball was in the late 90s in the Camel Tour days. There were a lot of Camel Tour 10 Ball events. Back then it was played exactly like 9 ball with an extra ball. Like someone else said I think at least part of the idea was to fix some of the problems that come with racking and breaking 9 ball. Later on (I'm not sure when) it evolved with the WPA making rules that make it a call pocket game to further differentiate it from 9 ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome back.

Musta been a helluva injury, kept you from posting too!!!

Originally 10 ball came about to slow the break monsters of 9ball. Then SVB figured out to master the 3 rail 10ball break back in the TAR days. >>>watch me learning it here https://vimeo.com/18252195 <<<and then it was 12ball, then we naturally went to full rack rotation like Efren plays. Which really is the best game to practice IMO. Learn rotation and any game becomes easier naturally. I have recently started to play after a few year layoff to shoulder injuries. I still suck! :)

Have fun, G.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be nice Black!
You know what it's like when you can't play, and you have a Crown in the basement collecting dust! Well, it sucks....I'm glad no one here bought my table when I tried to off it. I did sell the 10er 3c table tho. Just glad there are good Dr's who helped.

But yea, You are right, I should have checked in more often....I have no clue whats going on in the world of Billiards.

G.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't feel bad, I've never played it either. Growing up in the small town I did, it was just Rotation and 8 ball at the local pool hall, with a dash of 9 ball for the gambling crowd. I played a little bit of snooker while in the Air Force stationed in Denver, but all these other games that I read about on the forum are new to me. I guess I have some catching up to do.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I was being nice;)

Glad to see you back with us.

Same shit/ different day, up in hrre.
Be nice Black!
You know what it's like when you can't play, and you have a Crown in the basement collecting dust! Well, it sucks....I'm glad no one here bought my table when I tried to off it. I did sell the 10er 3c table tho. Just glad there are good Dr's who helped.

But yea, You are right, I should have checked in more often....I have no clue whats going on in the world of Billiards.

G.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Until I joined this site, I had never heard of 10 ball....true story. :eek:

My pool days primarily took place when I was around 18-20, then picked up again briefly when I was around 25, then faded away again. I'm now 43 and am just now hearing about 10 ball. So is that something that has developed in the last 20 years or so? :confused:
Along with all the other information:

10-ball became my practice game in 1989.

Joe Tucker has been pushing for 10-ball for at least as long.

Somewhere along the line, professionals started playing 10-ball with original rules (same rules as 9-ball), and there were tournament tours popping up all over the place, some with the modification of "no 10-ball in the bottom two corners on the break." THat would include the Predator 10-ball Tour, which Shane won their World 10-ball Championship (for whatever that's worth)

TAR (The Action Report) started showcasing 10-ball Challenge Matches, also with modified old-school rules. Shane Van Boening was as instrumental as anyone in spreading the popularity of 10-ball as their main participant including the epic SVB vs Alex Pagulayan matches.

With its growing popularity, the WPA decided to visit and modify the official rules to add call shot as a norm, thus "creating" a World Standardized championship game that is wholly different than 9-ball.

I feel like the WPA totally bypassed asking guys like Joe Tucker for his input, considering his longtime promotion of the game long before the WPA revisited the rules. But, I don't rule the universe, so I can only complain. In the end, I'd rather play 10-ball by old school rules, but with no 10-ball on the break.

Freddie <~~~ not as disgruntled

Grandslam

Registered
Don't understand need for 10 ball??

Started playing in 60's straight pool and 8 ball ruled the day, then 9 ball I understood the evolution a faster quicker game suited for gambling. What I don't get is 10 ball its 9 ball + one. Seems to be same game. Really want to know. Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
10 ball was often the game of choice for ring games among top players in the 1970s. It was played like 9 ball, but of course all the rules for regular nine ball were different then and also ring games have different rules.

Currently there are probably five different versions of 10 ball being played. In the official version, the 10 only counts if made as the last ball on the table and the game is call shot. In other versions, it's played just like 9 ball (which has a few versions as well), or with opponent's option on any miss, or ....