Construction pics

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
:smile: Thank you. It has been a long, interesting road, and much more to go. Unfortunately not everybody has been pleased, which can be credited to my shortcomings & mistakes. But I have learned a lot & continue to do so.

I cannot imagine ever playing with anything but a tree. Your shortcomings and mistakes make a great cue. Keep it up buddy!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks! Fascinating cue, by the way, beautiful… :clapping:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, Max is a cool dude. Interesting perspective on things. And plays friggin great!!!!

ya think, I played him for a few minutes at Best Billiards the other night, wow is he playing great now. He is House Pro there and playing 4-8 hours a day. Max is a good instructor, He showed me one thing a few years ago and my game went up a notch-just from one tiny adjustment to my game.

Its good to see you back Eric, I was wondering what the heck happened to you???

best regards

eric

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very lucky to play with one of your cues. It plays unreal and like others have said i couldnt imagine playing with anything else. Hopefully someday soon i can put in a custom order with you. Keep up the amazing work!

Derrick Steel

.....Viper Killer.....
Silver Member
:smile: Thank you. It has been a long, interesting road, and much more to go. Unfortunately not everybody has been pleased, which can be credited to my shortcomings & mistakes. But I have learned a lot & continue to do so.

My first custom cue was a Sugartree. I was a little surprised when it showed up at my door in a pvc pipe. There was no way the mailman was going to damage this cue.

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of folks have asked about scallops & how they are made. I try to explain it but not sure if it really ever makes sense. So here's a few pics to show how they're assembled. This is a friend's cue I took pics of to show him how I built it. Figured i'd show it here for fun and to give a visual of the things I have explained to many folks.

First I have to cut the bevels and then glue on the stock:
jr001.jpg

Then turned round results in:
jr002.jpg

Offset 22.5 degrees & repeat:
jr003.jpg

Resulting in:
jr004.jpg

Now recut over all of those & repeat process:
jr005.jpg

Resulting in a butt sleeve with scallops:
jr006.jpg

Each 4 cut & glues require 24hr. curing period before moving to next step. So this butt sleeve required 4 days of cutting & gluing. Seemingly simple & insignificant things sometimes aren't as simple as they seem.

The rest of the cue, with a forearm matching but v-groove points instead of scallops:
jrcue001.jpg

jr10010.jpg

jrcue004.jpg

Not to shabby!!!!!!!!

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I committed to only playing with this cue and it's become like an extension of my arm now. It really makes it extra cool knowing that it was not only made by a great cue maker, but a good friend as well.
I just wanted to bump this thread because I was looking for these pictures.
Man, what a cue!

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I committed to only playing with this cue and it's become like an extension of my arm now. It really makes it extra cool knowing that it was not only made by a great cue maker, but a good friend as well.
Man, what a cue!

Hey Joe, big fan of your comedy acting and MMA commentator work. I also remember a very public campaign you waged against Carlos Mencia over his unauthorized use of material belonging to other stand-up comics. I really admired your willingness to defend the intellectual property rights of others.

So I think it's reasonable to let you know the TRUE lineage of the design work in your cue, and maybe provide a little insight into the ethics of your good friend at the same time.

Below are a few photos of cue designs that predate YOUR cue by about 20 years. They feature the very first time continuous scalloped bands were ever used in any cue. That design element, and the methods for building it, were invented & pioneered by Dave Doucette of Samsara Cues in late 80's - early 90's. The butt-sleeve parts in the first photo were built in 1992, and over the ensuing years Samsara has built their entire "look" around that concept. They are award-winning makers and some of their more elaborate cues can be found in top collections throughout the world.

They have, over the years, given permission to a few top cuemakers to use certain of their trademark design elements on a limited basis. You pal, Eric Crisp (Sugartree Cues) is NOT one of those makers. Of course, like Carlos Mencia, he claims to have come up with the design independently - Which is pure bullshit, given the high profile Samsara has enjoyed since the early 90's.

The way you, and other performers feel about Carlos Mencia using material [from other comics] without permission is exactly how many of us long-time cuemakers feel about Eric Crisp using these design elements without permission from Dave Doucette and Samsara Cues. Just thought you should know.

Thomas Wayne

Shortbutterflies.jpg

2012-10-18_14-19-57_357_zps84951af0.jpg

Fantial.jpg

Last edited:

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Nothing about cues and cue making but as a fabricator I appreciate the attention to detail. That's awesome what you've done and thanks or posting pictures!

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome cue

Joe,

I think it is an awesome cue and I love this thread. Eric has always been someone that was willing to share information with upcoming cue makers or even with customers that just wanted to know how something was made.

I can see some similarities with scallops and the samsara design, but then for that matter the scallops are also similar to butterflies and those have been around for many many years. Erics slightly elongated scallops have a really great look in my opinion.

I like the look of this cue and many of the cues where Eric has done a combination in forearm points, butterflies and/or long scallops in the cue. I especially like Erics eye for finding amazing wood and then finding the right wood combinations to really make a cue unique and give it all kinds of character.

Man, what a cue!