A new level of tournament dumb ass.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
So I am shooting in a tournament last weekend and this kid in his 20's whipped out his smart phone. He then starts playing around with his strobe light app and shining it in all his friends faces at the table they are sitting around.

Consequently it is flashing in my peripheral vision and its incredibly bright. My wife actually had to turn the other way and close her eyes it bothered her so much.

He keeps changing the settings and was obviously quite proud of the obnoxious thing.

So I told my wife "listen, I am probably going to get my ass beat but he has 60 seconds to turn that off before I go over there" luckily for one of us he did.

What the hell has happened to common sense, manners and decency?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In situations like that, it's always best to at least start out by being the better man. You can politely ask him to stop. Don't make any threats. If he starts running off at the mouth, then just walk away, and let the owner know.

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Your right. People seem to just but care about others around them anymore. There was a discussion about people texting while in a tournament awhile back too. I think phones should be required to be on a bench when your opponent is shooting. Just like a person's ass should be.

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here`s one for you.
I was playing in tournament a couple of weeks ago and I`m bent over the side pocket shooting the 9 ball and the tournament director (who was playing on the table next to me) reaches around my leg and gets the bridge out from under my table while i`m in mid stroke. I stood up and looked at him like wtf are you doing? He didn`t even realize he was doing something wrong. He never said sorry or anything.
Wed night I was at the same tournament and was looking at the chart and noticed it was the wrong chart for a 16 man field. if you were in the bottom bracket you only had to win 2 matches to get in the finals but you had to win 3 if you were in the top bracket to get in the finals,I pointed it out to him and he said sorry but that was the only chart he uses.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's one for you. I was playing a money game of 1P in a small poolhall that had a great GC IV, it just so happen they had one of those punching bag game that tell you how hard you hit. Well as you are about to pull the trigger on a shot you hear this very loud BAM, yep you guessed it, it was some guys betting on who could hit the hardest. This went on for what seemed like 30 - 45 minutes.---Smitty

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Some people go to the poolroom to just hang out for a night on the town. They are not serious players and do not know any better. We all are diehard pool nuts so we expect everyone knows pool etiquette but the masses really do not and that includes the recreational banger players. I brush it off because I know they have no clue so it really is not there fault. I have schooled many people in the poolroom on watching for people on the next table who are gambling and to stay out of the way, not sitting on tables or setting drinks on the tables and on and on. Best to nicely explain and wise them up to it.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I wouldn't have waited 60 seconds, I'd have sent my wife immediately!

My father always said there are more horses asses than there are horses. :)

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was in a pool room, just getting down on my shot and I got a blast of light from one of the lights over a table on the other side of the room. A rather large SOB had grabbed the light and started shining it around the room. I knew that this could cause a problem but I hollered at the guy and told him to knock the shit off. I could see from the look on his face that he was pissed. I'm too old to get into a confrontation with anyone, hell, I'd probably have a heart attack. So I broke eye contact with the punk, unscrewed my break cue so the butt was handy and went about finishing the game. My friend said he was making a lot of comments my way, but fortunately for me it never went any further. I know I would have wound up in jail for assault if that fat f--- would have approached me. I just don't know if I would have gone for the head or the knees. Worst part is, if I would have, I would have probably wasted a good break cue.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Other Players Paying Attention!

I play in a weekly local 9 ball league and the room we play in is full of 7’ bar tables. The tables aren’t bad and they’ve just been recovered with Simonis cloth, but there isn’t a lot of extra room between the tables. For some reason when I’m playing my matches players on the adjoining tables could care less about whether I’m getting ready to shoot a shot on the side of the table they are shooting on. If we both get down to shoot at the same time we will bump our cues or interfere with each other. I don’t remember one time when the player on the table next to me stopped to let me shoot or waited for me to finish my shot. It’s like they think they are the only player in the room and they could care less about me. It’s been like this for the entire time I’ve played in this league. I always notice if the player next to me is getting ready to shoot on my side and I wait for them to finish, but for some reason none of the other players ever wait for me to shoot my shot. I don’t get it and I wonder if people are that inconsiderate of others!

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
I play in a weekly local 9 ball league and the room we play in is full of 7’ bar tables. The tables aren’t bad and they’ve just been recovered with Simonis cloth, but there isn’t a lot of extra room between the tables. For some reason when I’m playing my matches players on the adjoining tables could care less about whether I’m getting ready to shoot a shot on the side of the table they are shooting on. If we both get down to shoot at the same time we will bump our cues or interfere with each other. I don’t remember one time when the player on the table next to me stopped to let me shoot or waited for me to finish my shot. It’s like they think they are the only player in the room and they could care less about me. It’s been like this for the entire time I’ve played in this league. I always notice if the player next to me is getting ready to shoot on my side and I wait for them to finish, but for some reason none of the other players ever wait for me to shoot my shot. I don’t get it and I wonder if people are that inconsiderate of others!

I bowl in a league that has the same problem. You are supposed to stay off the approach until someone actually takes a step toward the foul line but it never seems to happen. People just have no consideration for others. I think I would get a little more upset at what you are dealing with though. I know we have a small room about 30 minutes up the road that the tables are so close together your butt hits the table behind you when you shoot.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
today's youth have absolutely no regard for others, they do not know how to spell respect......I was at the pool hall the other day talking to the waitress about what I might want to eat and in the middle of a sentence this young guy walks up and interrupts my sentence and asked her some question and then walked off......it left my mouth open in the middle of my sentence and made mention of his rude behavior..she agreed but said that it was rampant in his age group.(20's)...the next time I am going to slap him, or someone like him across the face! :angry: yes I know I will probably be arrested but it will feel so good watching his shocked face with a hand print on it...hell maybe he will ask me to "take it outside"......I can only wish! ! ;)

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Common courtesy is all but gone. All I ever teach my kids is just be nice to people. I hope they listen. I will say they are nicer to people outside my home than to their siblings.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
species

Your right. People seem to just but care about others around them anymore. There was a discussion about people texting while in a tournament awhile back too. I think phones should be required to be on a bench when your opponent is shooting. Just like a person's ass should be.

You are a member of the "me first" species.

Just look at how humans treat all our non-human neighbors and kin. To treat other humans with respect would be inconsistent with our general worldview.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was in a pool room, just getting down on my shot and I got a blast of light from one of the lights over a table on the other side of the room. A rather large SOB had grabbed the light and started shining it around the room. I knew that this could cause a problem but I hollered at the guy and told him to knock the shit off. I could see from the look on his face that he was pissed. I'm too old to get into a confrontation with anyone, hell, I'd probably have a heart attack. So I broke eye contact with the punk, unscrewed my break cue so the butt was handy and went about finishing the game. My friend said he was making a lot of comments my way, but fortunately for me it never went any further. I know I would have wound up in jail for assault if that fat f--- would have approached me. [ I just don't know if I would have gone for the head or the knees]. Worst part is, if I would have, I would have probably wasted a good break cue.

Knees, weaken the body, the head will fall. Good God I sound like CJ.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
I live in Louisiana and played in a tourney the same day they had a Saints football party while the Saints played on the big screens. I had to play on a table right in between the tv and the fans watched it. I could not hear myself think for all the yelling and cheering. At one point I was in in the middle of my final stroke when someone 4 feet behind me jumps out of his seat clapping and yelling so loud it made me jump and I miscued. I lost out of the tourney that I had well over a $100 in fees and Calcutta.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The other night at league, I was down to shoot in a game I was losing, when the girl on the next table bent over to rack the balls. Her large melon like breasts hung out of her low cut top and seemed to call my name............. some people!!!!!

Kim

JC

Coos Cues
I am a fairly serious hobby photographer and a couple years ago I had acquired a fast 105mm lens I thought would be perfect for pool.. I wanted to shoot some photos at the Western BCA regional. So I had the day off between events and went to my room and got my Nikon D90. Of course I know that flash photography is a big no-no so that wasn’t a problem. Out in the hallway I adjusted my setting manually and then went in the room. I decided to take a test shot and aimed at a random player. Well even though I know better I forgot to turn off my auto focus assist lamp. So I look through my view finder and shoot a photo. The guy goes ballistic and for a minute I can’t understand what the problem was because I knew my flash didn’t go off. Once I realized the issue I apologized profusely but this guy did not accept my apology. He did not take the shot but stopped once he noticed the light shining on him and yelled at me just as I snapped the actual photo. He then re aimed the shot a moment later and missed and blamed me. After a minute he came over and told me he was so upset he couldn’t continue playing unless I completely left the area. This altercation soured me on taking pool photos forever, even though in the big picture of life it was pretty minor. This was the last picture I have taken since at an event. It was a pretty cool shot of an upset dude though  Here it is. Enjoy because I didn't!

_DSC6702 [800x600].jpg

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
I am a fairly serious hobby photographer and a couple years ago I had acquired a fast 105mm lens I thought would be perfect for pool.. I wanted to shoot some photos at the Western BCA regional. So I had the day off between events and went to my room and got my Nikon D90. Of course I know that flash photography is a big no-no so that wasn’t a problem. Out in the hallway I adjusted my setting manually and then went in the room. I decided to take a test shot and aimed at a random player. Well even though I know better I forgot to turn off my auto focus assist lamp. So I look through my view finder and shoot a photo. The guy goes ballistic and for a minute I can’t understand what the problem was because I knew my flash didn’t go off. Once I realized the issue I apologized profusely but this guy did not accept my apology. He did not take the shot but stopped once he noticed the light shining on him and yelled at me just as I snapped the actual photo. He then re aimed the shot a moment later and missed and blamed me. After a minute he came over and told me he was so upset he couldn’t continue playing unless I completely left the area. This altercation soured me on taking pool photos forever, even though in the big picture of life it was pretty minor. This was the last picture I have taken since at an event. It was a pretty cool shot of an upset dude though  Here it is. Enjoy because I didn't!

Lol! He can be a bit.. particular.. if he feels you've sharked him. :D

I'm still surprised at the amount of stink-eye I've gotten for practicing on an open table near a woman's match. You'd think I was taking shots on their very table. Next time, get a photo of that! :eek: