Besides Steve Mizerak, did any other us pool pros try snooker?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Of the pool players who dabble in snooker, Chris Melling is easily the best of the bunch. He is at least competitive with players on the tour. I think Alex is a touch better than Kaci, but Kaci is pretty good and I think has done well in some of the big international amateur (low level pro) events like European Championship.

I watched Corey Deuels matches from Qschool and I feel like he either didn’t play to his potential or is overthinking things or something. Either that or just didn’t practice enough. Either way, he should be capable of playing better than what I saw.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Of the pool players who dabble in snooker, Chris Melling is easily the best of the bunch. He is at least competitive with players on the tour. I think Alex is a touch better than Kaci, but Kaci is pretty good and I think has done well in some of the big international amateur (low level pro) events like European Championship.

I watched Corey Deuels matches from Qschool and I feel like he either didn’t play to his potential or is overthinking things or something. Either that or just didn’t practice enough. Either way, he should be capable of playing better than what I saw.

Karl Boyes was a snooker player and became a world champion in pool.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Karl Boyes was a snooker player and became a world champion in pool.

I’ve never seen him play but I don’t doubt that a lot of the English 8 ball players are solid snooker players too.

As an aside, I would love to see the WPBSA extend a tour card to the winner of World 9 ball championship. It would be a nice cross promotional thing, particularly for events like the UK Championships where qualifiers are at the venue. I think you would get some pool fans tuning in to see Joshua Filler have a go at snooker.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do believe Kaci grew up playing snooker and won several snooker tournaments before turning pro, although I could be wrong on that, just recall reading that somewhere.
And now someone will read your post and spread the mistruth like wildfire.

Kaçi had never played snooker before, as I said. I didnt read about it. He told me very emphatically when I interviewed him before his match that I did commentary on. He never played snooker prior to being asked by his federation to play just a couple of years ago.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And now someone will read your post and spread the mistruth like wildfire.

Kaçi had never played snooker before, as I said. I didnt read about it. He told me very emphatically when I interviewed him before his match that I did commentary on. He never played snooker prior to being asked by his federation to play just a couple of years ago.

You think someone will click on this thread, and out of hundreds of posts, read only mine, then log off? Even after I said I am not even sure, Come on don't be so dramatic!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eklent_Kaçi
"Kaçi won several Albanian Snooker, and pool national championships, before turning professional in 2015."

Seen something similar in an article too, if saying I am not sure isn't disclaimer enough, don't know what to tell ya.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl was very specifc to me that he wasnt a snooker player, but of course had piayed it. Did he tell you differently?

I drove a racecar twice but i dont call myself a racecar driver ...unless of course there are some groupies around. :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You think someone will click on this thread, and out of hundreds of posts, read only mine, then log off? Even after I said I am not even sure, Come on don't be so dramatic!!
Hold on. Isn't this in essence what you did? You skimmed, got wrong information, and with your Username as Snooker Theory, you are actually purposefully spreading an untruth. I'm sure you're inteligent enough to understand when you say things like, "I read somewhere that he's a child molestor, but I could be wrong...," you're going to plant that mistruth in enough other people's mind, especially those who skim.

And boldfacing isn't being dramatic? Glass houses and all.

How about this? How about saying, "thanks for information." Then remember that anyone can write anything to Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eklent_Kaçi
"Kaçi won several Albanian Snooker, and pool national championships, before turning professional in 2015."

Seen something similar in an article too, if saying I am not sure isn't disclaimer enough, don't know what to tell ya.
I'm sure the guy who wrote this tidbit skimmed and decided to pass on the information because he "read it somewhere," too.

It doesn't do our sport any good to perpetuate rumors. Do you disagree?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold on. Isn't this in essence what you did? You skimmed, got wrong information, and with your Username as Snooker Theory, you are actually purposefully spreading an untruth.

So I am purposely spreading an untruth (a liar)? Why you want to take it there, beats me.
If I am a liar because I read something different, mentioned it, gave a disclaimer I could he wrong, and was asking for clarification, then my pants are on fire.

I'm sure you're inteligent enough to understand when you say things like, "I read somewhere that he's a child molestor, but I could be wrong...," you're going to plant that mistruth in enough other people's mind, especially those who skim.

Misspelling intelligent, the irony. Look I didn't write the article or wikipedia page on Kaci, I just stated something I had read, said I could be wrong and asked for clarification on something I had read in multiple places.

How about this? How about saying, "thanks for information." Then remember that anyone can write anything to Wikipedia.

I did thank Jay after he clarified, post #51 did you skim over that and are now purposely spreading a lie that I didn't say thank you.
It doesn't do our sport any good to perpetuate rumors. Do you disagree

Which is why I asked for clarification, lol

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My fellow forum members, my apologises for stating misinformation and taking the thread off track. I am enjoying the discussion and hope we can get back to the topic.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My fellow forum members, my apologises for stating misinformation and taking the thread off track. I am enjoying the discussion and hope we can get back to the topic.
Why don't you go back and edit your post so that it is more correct?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Karl was very specifc to me that he wasnt a snooker player, but of course had piayed it. Did he tell you differently?

I do know from him that he played a lot of snooker. I thought he did try to get on the main tour but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything ever posted on this forum could be 100% accurate and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. I'm guessing some of you haven't been on FB.

Lighten up fellas.

FairportFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at James Rempe, his nickname is King James when he played many snooker tournament in England and won several tournaments.

Kathy Keegan

Registered
I watched a lot of snooker at the old Baker's Billiards room in Tampa. The guys played points, a snooker ring game. I watched Canadian Frank, obviously Canadian, play Jose Parica for $1,000 a game one afternoon and get his head handed to him. Then his backer wanted me to play Parica. Parica heard him ask me. Jose was sleeping through that match. I wasn't that stupid.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I watched a lot of snooker at the old Baker's Billiards room in Tampa. The guys played points, a snooker ring game. I watched Canadian Frank, obviously Canadian, play Jose Parica for $1,000 a game one afternoon and get his head handed to him. Then his backer wanted me to play Parica. Parica heard him ask me. Jose was sleeping through that match. I wasn't that stupid.

That would’ve been on a 5x10?
Jose also beat Jimmy Wych, a step up from Frank in snooker circles, in Florida also.
But Jose didn’t do very well in Toronto on 6x12s with the flat edge rubber....
...even lost badly playing 9-ball on them....beat everybody on a 9-foot giving weight.

Efren beat Kirk Stevens, a one time #4 ranked at world snooker, on a 5x10 in LA.

I think, more than the size, it might be the rubber is the greatest difference...
...flat edge as opposed to knife edge.
Peter Kippe, one of the guys who beat Jose in Toronto, couldn’t seem to take a win on
American 5x10 snooker tables....but he played James Christopher in Arizona ( Peter had
Lost to many worse players)...he beat James badly....turned out the table had Canuck
rubber on it.