Please recommend the best One Pocket match to watch.

stonefish

Registered
Hi there,

I'm keen to have a look at One Pocket, so was wondering if someone could please recommend a really good match that is available on YouTube. Perhaps the One Pocket equivalent of Wu's comeback in the 2005 World 9 ball final, or Shaw destroying Immonen?

Thanks.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hi there,

I'm keen to have a look at One Pocket, so was wondering if someone could please recommend a really good match that is available on YouTube. Perhaps the One Pocket equivalent of Wu's comeback in the 2005 World 9 ball final, or Shaw destroying Immonen?

Thanks.

I like watching Scott Frost...... Seems like I watched him and Rodney Morris play a few different games one weekend...One pocket being one

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Scott Frost and Alex Pagulayan....8 ahead

and when ACCUSTATS has it ready...Billy Thorpe vs Alex Pagulayan...2017 DCC

And Alex's last four matches in the 2015 DCC one pocket

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

Thanks.

1P Rich Grenier vs. Little Al Romero;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeRBiTCRQ0

Here is as good a match as I have ever sweated, by two guys who really know the game!..Two of the best at trapping, and getting out of traps!..Excellent way to learn the moves in one pocket for ANY caliber player, but especially good for someone trying to learn the game..It would be even better if they were not playing the fairly new rule of spotting a ball, when there are over 4 balls in the kitchen, which neither one are that familiar with!..Also, pretty good commentary too.

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I believe watching great players can have both benefits and detriments. Just be sure you play within your limits and know your opponent . One man's high percentage shot is another man's sellout. The right shot for a pro may not be the right shot for everyone.

I really think Billy Incardona's commentary is invaluable regardless of who is playing on the tape or dvd. Pick something with him commentating and you cant go wrong.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
check out Rafael Martinez vs. Silva Ochoa. I may have the spelling wrong. And then Scott Frost vs. Silva. Few years back. Really great play.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren and....

As the "arps' said. About any match with Efren is good to watch. I also like watching Alex hand it to Frost!

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wish i had all of efrens games

he was the best
if billy incardone comments

,it helps you understand

all of these responses seem sincere and helpful too
so far this has really been a good thread

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
MMmmm.... there are many great matches to choose from. Among my favorites are watching any instance where Alex Pagulayan plays Nick Varner 1P. A bit of what Alex is as a 1P player came form those match-ups. An AZB friend of mine hipped me to a "Legends of 1P" tournament in the 90's where Piggy Banks plays Cornbread Red that is pretty good even though both lost a gear and were not at their peak or anywhere near it.

Speaking of nowhere near peak perfection playing.... it has been helpful for me to watch matches of rank amateurs playing people better than they are, but not world class better. It helped me to see someone learn from their mistakes in real time. Helped me a bunch. So look for matches that are just a couple of schlubbs hacking eachother apart. Quite illuminating.

Lesh

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that you asked for best match available on YouTube. But if you can buy or borrow a copy of the AccuStats DVD of the Make It Happen 2015 preliminary match between Danny Smith and Efren Reyes, you would find it to be entertaining and educational. Great match. See comments under Match #12. "Billy Incardona called it “the best One-Pocket match that I have ever watched.” And that was before the super dramatic double hill game had even been played!"

http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12050-2015-accu-stats-make-it-happen-one-pocket-day-3/

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Alex might be tough to watch, for a novice. He does a lot of thinking chooses pretty basic stuff...

But his execution is damn near Flawless, when he wins.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1P Rich Grenier vs. Little Al Romero;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeRBiTCRQ0

Two of the best at trapping, and getting out of traps!..Excellent way to learn the moves in one pocket for ANY caliber player, but especially good for someone trying to learn the game...

This is great 1P. I only watched the first 5 minutes and love it. Trapping is one thing but returning a trap with a trap is exciting movement. Thanks for posting.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Scott Frost and Alex Pagulayan....8 ahead

and when ACCUSTATS has it ready...Billy Thorpe vs Alex Pagulayan...2017 DCC

And Alex's last four matches in the 2015 DCC one pocket

The 8 ahead frost/Alex match (if you have the time) is up there as one of the best sets I've watched. Those two were on point for days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk