💡💡I think $300-500 is the MOST that should be spent on a cue!!

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are much more expensive cues with ivory inlays, rare wood and all sorts of bells and whistles. I have shot with a few (not mine but people have let me "try it out". MY POINT IN THIS THREAD IS THAT ONCE A PLAYER HAS DEVELOPED HIS/HER SKILLS THEN ANYTHING OVER $300-500 is overkill. Basically a shortstop, a road player, a pro or whoever that shoots with a $1500 cue would not decrease in skill level if the played with a cue for less, provided that the cue is decent and STRAIGHT!!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Oh, I like threads like these, even started one or two myself espousing the virtue of simple, inexpensive cues. Now, in a seeming contratiction, I'm putting $800 into a cue. Will it make me play better? Nope. Will it enhance my life? Sure. My wife and I collect art, and pool cues can certainly be that. Certainly not needed to play top flight pool though - a cuetec will do just fine, just ask SVB. :grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who buys their own cue, even for $2.00, instead of playing with the free house cues, is an idiot. :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
given I had a 500 predator and could not resell it (in excellent condition and by then only on the market for 1 year) for much more than 300, I'll take the $1500 cue (if I can afford it) that can hold it's value for upwards of 10 years.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your title is ridiculous and stupid. There are plenty of good reasons to spend more...mostly because one wants to for a cue they really like.

Now what you say in your actual post, that's pretty true. I don't think you really gain any appreciable performance difference above that level. I've played with some great playing cues in the $300-500 range. But...I like my custom Runde built to my specs. I don't think it makes me play better but it was the best $1100 I've ever spent as I've never been happier with a cue and it stopped me from buying and selling cues and got me to settle down and really get used to one (which has helped me play better, but that isn't directly related to the quality of the cue because it could have theoretically happened with any decent cue even though it didn't until I got this one).

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
My cue cost over 700 dollars. It's worth every dollar. If there was a better playing cue that cost more, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Sadly, I haven't found such a cue yet.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think $300-500 is the LEAST anyone should be paid to read one of Bigkat's threads!!

Lol yes very true.

What makes op think he has the authority to decide what is the right maximum amount of money that should be spend on a cue.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good reason

If you have a nice cue you have a lot better chance to play another set on it when
you get busted. Try playing another set on a cheap ass cue, or a Timex instead of
a Rolex, or one of the good fake ones. Boy sometimes I wonder what's the matter
with some of the people on here.
jack

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are much more expensive cues with ivory inlays, rare wood and all sorts of bells and whistles. I have shot with a few (not mine but people have let me "try it out". MY POINT IN THIS THREAD IS THAT ONCE A PLAYER HAS DEVELOPED HIS/HER SKILLS THEN ANYTHING OVER $300-500 is overkill. Basically a shortstop, a road player, a pro or whoever that shoots with a $1500 cue would not decrease in skill level if the played with a cue for less, provided that the cue is decent and STRAIGHT!!

I used to give out my own unsolicited opinions on things too, then someone very wise told me not to do that.........

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what the original OP is saying in other words is:

No one should spend $60,000 on a BMW when a $16,000 Kia will get you to the same place.

This is a very old argument and not worth the time.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$300-$500 is the down payment on custom cues.......and what qualifications do you possess that enables you to proclaim that's the most
a cue is worth........never tell another man what the worth of his labor is and if it's too much, then find someone else who will do it for that
price......or learn more about the craft of pool cues before you speak of that which you know very little about.

Ignorance is bliss but so is everyone's right to their opinion, even as stupid as it sounds to those that have been enlightened about cue-making.
The next thing I expect to read is cue weight is over-rated & weight doesn't matter or the weight of a shaft doesn't matter or all cue joints are the same.

People are compensated for their labor and their final wares.........I don't think I should ever pay more than $400 for a pistol.........Now go try and buy
a Les Kimber .45 auto for that price. But aren't all guns alike and basically do the same thing? Aren't all pool cues all alike and basically do the same thing?

The answer is NO and yes. No, all pool cues are not the same and yes, they function the same way, i.e., move the cue ball. But golly gee, show me any
$500 cue made that plays like a Szam..Manzino, Searing, Hercek, etc. Here's the essential point.......a cue does not make you into a better player, however,
a better player usually knows what they want in a cue. If you want a cue made the way you prefer it to be, even a Merry Widow, it can and usually does
cost more than $300-$500. Spend whatever you can afford on a cue and get it made the way you like.......It's a surefire recipe for cue happiness & better play.

Last edited: