Another CTE question

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe read my previous 2 posts?

I hesitate to do this. I don't want to poison the well even before I get Stan's DVD... but, what the hell? (please see my question below your post).

You say that, "each shot will have a slightly different orientation". I would like to pose a little thought experiment using curtains. Say we have the following setup (the shooter can't see beyond the curtains, but the Great Observer - that's us - can see the reality).

table_1_zps21698e68.jpeg

I will stipulate that the 1-ball is makeable in the top left corner pocket by a shooter standing at the right of the table between the curtains. Further, based on that knowledge, he then moves to the 3-ball shot, his 'orientation' changes in whatever way you believe that it would change, and he then pockets the 3-ball in the same pocket.

(It is a separate question as to whether, with the curtains in place, he actually has enough information to pocket the 1-ball... but for now, we will assume he can.)

Now we move the curtains, and set up the shots again:

table_2_zps742c470b.jpeg

I will stipulate that the shooter again makes the 1-ball in the upper left corner pocket, and then moves to the 3-ball and proceeds to pocket it. Now here is my question:

Is there any difference between the change in his perception that takes place between 1-ball and 3-ball in the first setup, and the change in his perception that takes place between the 1-ball and 3-ball in the second setup?

Please read that carefully. I'm wondering about differences here.

Thanks.

- s.west

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Maybe read my previous 2 posts?

I read them. So... what do you think, is there any difference between the change in his perception that takes place between 1-ball and 3-ball in the first setup, and the change in his perception that takes place between the 1-ball and 3-ball in the second setup?

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read them. So... what do you think, is there any difference between the change in his perception that takes place between 1-ball and 3-ball in the first setup, and the change in his perception that takes place between the 1-ball and 3-ball in the second setup?

If there is no change in perception, there is no change in our alignment to CB-OB, the same angle will be created after the sweep.

If you remove the 3D perception surrounding the objects that you align to (my previous two posts, if you remove the perspective non of the phenomenons would happen, correct?), nothing will change, if there is changes in perception, well then...CTE Pro1 happens and you pocet both balls with the same 2 alignments lines, same sweep and a different angle, because you see those two balls differently because you changed the surrounding 3D perception that they are in, as are you.

Maybe now...there is a chance....that this might be possible? :) Is that enough to trust it? :)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Well, actually, it is :)

Let me try and explain it.

Lines that are in perspective are the lines that are "arround" your vision center and their perspective changes.

For example, if you're in the middle of a railroad and looking in the vanishing point, two railroad tracks seem to get closer and closer when distance changes, when they approach the vanishing point.

Why is that? Because of the 3D perspective that surrounds it and you're place in it from where you're watching.It doesnt matter what surrounds the tracks,they will become one the further they get away from us.

BUT if you're standing directly on one of the railroad tracks, it is in a 90° to your vision center, right? No perspection can change that, correct? Only the second railroad track is in your perspection and its position towards your vision center will change when you move sideways, correct? It must because when you're in the middle of the railroad left and right railroad track are in the same (reverse) angle to your vision center (picture in the attachment), but if you move sideways ON one of the railroad tracks it will always be 90° to your vision and the other will not, because of the perception.

Now, to relate to CTE Pro1 visuals and this example, I think this example shows clearly why you MUST NOT stand behing either visual but in the middle, between CTE line and CB edge to A/C, B line because only then they WILL BE IN PERSPECTIVE and any movement, be it sideways or frontal will change the perspective in which you see them because the 3D perspective that you see them on (pool table) changes as you move in any direction.

Does this make sence?Not really..In the picture of the 2 shots you're placed in the middle of the tracks on both shot's...nothing should change according to the rules of your system.

It should :)

No it shouldn't ...I will tell you something else....The whole ball needs to be accounted for.:wink: E-------A---------B----------C---------E

Its not as bad as it sounds ......If you were to Know the exact answer to the formula...you would fall short of achieving it.We all would fall short.;)
Somewhere during the process we have to let go and let the mind take over.
================== Maybe this is your perception.==============

Sorry:) I don't try to create something that is not there.

Have a Great weekend Mirza!

Btw----Take note of your progress---write it down-------find the exactness on shots-----Thank me later.....:wink:

Beer Please!!!

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well thats the whole point Anthony!!!

If you move the line that you had in perception in a parallel (sideways) motion with you, nothing would happen, you moved, line moved!!!!!!

BUT, you don't do that!! You look at 3D objects (pool balls) that moved in regards to your 3D perspective that surround you. They changed perspective and look different in different position to the same perspective, so the lines that you percieve are now different to..

This is some higher mathematics...but hey I learned that in college and high school when I attended all those competitions....maybe that is why this comes easy and understandable to me...

You are a better player than me...but you're surely not better at math :)

No it shouldn't ...I will tell you something else....The whole ball needs to be accounted for.:wink: E-------A---------B----------C---------E

Its not as bad as it sounds ......If you were to Know the exact answer to the formula...you would fall short of achieving it.We all would fall short.;)
Somewhere during the process we have to let go and let the mind take over.
================== Maybe this is your perception.==============

Sorry:) I don't try create something that is not there.

Have a Great weekend Mirza!

Btw----Take note of your progess---write it down-------find the exactness on shots-----Thank me later.....:wink:

Beer Please!!!

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Well thats the whole point Anthony!!!

If you move the line that you had in perception in a parallel (sideways) motion with you, nothing would happen, you moved, line moved!!!!!!

BUT, you don't do that!! You look at 3D objects (pool balls) that moved in regards to your 3D perspective that surround you. They changed perspective and look different in different position to the same perspective, so the lines that you percieve are now different to..

This is some higher mathematics...but hey I learned that in college and high school when I attended all those competitions....maybe that is why this comes easy and understandable to me...

You are a better player than me...but you're surely not better at math :)

I'm Just a banger.

Last edited:

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
I was hoping mohrt might comment on my last post... with the 1-ball and 3-ball setups.

Se7en6ix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perception will be the same for both diagrams..

Setup 1.1 (1 ball to the right upper corner)
--15 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBC) with Right Visual Sweep
--30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBB) with Left Visual Sweep

Setup 1.2 (3 ball to the right upper corner)
--15/30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBB/OBC) with Right Visual Sweep
--45/30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBA/OBB) with Left Visual Sweep

Setup 2.1 (3 ball to the left upper corner)
--15 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBA) with Left Visual Sweep
--30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBB) with Right Visual Sweep

Setup 2.2 (1 ball to the left upper corner)
--15/30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBA/OBB) with Left Visual Sweep
--45/30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBC/OBB) with Right Visual Sweep

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to think about it like this:

You're in a hallway, its a 3d perspective with vanishing points.

In the first example (picture 1) you're standing closer to one wall of the hallway.

Now if you would imagine two very thin walls that are half your height and touching your legs from the left and right and going down the hall towards the same vanishing points that create this 3d perspective, you wouldn't "imagine" that as it being in a 90° to your vision, it wouldn't seem correct in this 3d perspective, but you would imagine the left wall at a slighter angle then the right one because the right wall of the hallway is farther from you and seems that its at a bigger angle towards the vanishing point, in the perspective from where you're looking at the vanishing point (closer to the left wall).

Now in the second picture you're in the middle of the hallway and in this perspective it looks to you as if both walls are at the same angle towards the vanishing point and your vision, as you see it, in this perspective.

Now if you imagine those two walls you would imagine them arround you in the same angle towards the vanishing point because thats the only "correct" way to imagine in it in this perspective, if one wall would be at more of an angle towards the vanishing point than the other, walls would look crooked and wouldn't "look parallel", in this perspective.

Now, this is the example of what happens in a sideways motion in the perspective of 3d structures, this is the same phenomena that is taking place on the pool table.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 137

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Wow :)
If you show these discussions to Shane, Efren, Earl etc. etc. they will laugh so much...
Don't get me wrong I like aiming systems, but sometimes we are so over-complicating these things :)

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow :)
If you show these discussions to Shane, Efren, Earl etc. etc. they will laugh so much...
Don't get me wrong I like aiming systems, but sometimes we are so over-complicating these things :)

Audience asked for it :)

How are you my friend, everything good?

When will we see more videos from you? :)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Good morning Mirza.
Not sure where your going with this but in the two shots your visuals will remain the same or should no matter what's on either Side. Your focus should be on the ob,straight ahead.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Audience asked for it :)

How are you my friend, everything good?

When will we see more videos from you? :)

I'm fine buddy, concentrating on the family, my kid...and once or twice per week a bit of pool :)
Speaking of aiming systems - was thinking to purchase Ron Vitello's 90-90 instructional dvds - did you purchase them? Any opinion?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Answer this......does a sphere have a edge?

Here are some pic of pool shots......seem I'm the only that does this.

The first shows the vanishing point concept when your field of view moves up from the table because of the edges of the tables. But as you move your field of view to the CB and 10 in the side pocket, ball, there is no more vanishing point in your field of view.

Same in those other pics......as you lower your head the vanishing point goes way. Or as you get higher...one or the other.

Also in those pics, there are real world lines, edges, objects that influence what you see in your mind. In the pic below, between the CB and 10, there are no such objects that every one can see that influences what is seen in the mind.

When your field of view is limited so is your sense of perspective. Like in the 6 ball shot. You are looking more down. Unlike the long 9 ball cut.

The cue ball off the rail to the 8 in the corner show that all aiming is subject. And also is a example of indirect aiming whereas all the other pics are direct aiming.

Lastly, using Ghost Ball contact patch, perspective really does not matter because the spot on the table to make the OB go in the pocket never changes with how far the CB is from the OB because the CB contact patch on the line as the Ghost Ball contact. If one can effectively imagine lines used to aim then the same can be done effectively imagine spots on the table to aim, one method is no harder than another, it just comes down to personal choice.

How I use my vision does change with distance. How I use my vision doing that one rail 8 ball was not the same as doing the long 9 cut. That was the point of the 3d pics.

How I use my vision riding my motorcycle fast up in the hills is not the same as I do typing this. Whole different view, so to speak. In hills, is more like see the 3d objects whereas typing this is like just seeing jumbled picture that had the 3d objects in it, flat.

I use my vision and visualization skills better than the average person. This maybe the difference that influences one person to choose one method over another.

The biggest difference is what I see in my field of view and where my field of view is. One of the things I learned in marital arts is you don't look at the person, but past them sightly. This way you can see any movement they make because your attention is not on one area.

Riding motorcycles requires seeing everything going on around you without paying attention to any one detail. You don't really look at anything thereby seeing everything. I've been behind a racer that was just focused on the rider in front of him, the rider in front of him went off track and so did he, I did not because I was looking past both of them to where I wanted to be on track for the next turn , yet I saw the whole thing happen.

Get in a pack of 30 motorcycle racers at a start of a race and we are going for the same spot in the same turn.....you learn to use your whole vision and all your other senses real quick.

When I do this playing pool, this greatly improve my position play. I'm able to see the shot and where I want to the CB to go which greatly helps with how I stroke. See, a cut shot is really not a cut shot, but a carom shot because what really matter on the shot is where the CB stops after caroming off the OB.

BTW these and other I have come from during my practice, these are not set up shots, but shots I have experienced.

PS......no, a sphere does not have a edge, kinda makes ya wonder how you use the edge of something to aim with that doesn't have an edge? Is it all in the imagination?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Answer this......does a sphere have a edge?

Here are some pic of pool shots......seem I'm the only that does this.

The first shows the vanishing point concept when your field of view moves up from the table because of the edges of the tables. But as you move your field of view to the CB and 10 in the side pocket, ball, there is no more vanishing point in your field of view.

Same in those other pics......as you lower your head the vanishing point goes way. Or as you get higher...one or the other.

Also in those pics, there are real world lines, edges, objects that influence what you see in your mind. In the pic below, between the CB and 10, there are no such objects that every one can see that influences what is seen in the mind.

When your field of view is limited so is your sense of perspective. Like in the 6 ball shot. You are looking more down. Unlike the long 9 ball cut.

The cue ball off the rail to the 8 in the corner show that all aiming is subject. And also is a example of indirect aiming whereas all the other pics are direct aiming.

Lastly, using Ghost Ball contact patch, perspective really does not matter because the spot on the table to make the OB go in the pocket never changes with how far the CB is from the OB because the CB contact patch on the line as the Ghost Ball contact. If one can effectively imagine lines used to aim then the same can be done effectively imagine spots on the table to aim, one method is no harder than another, it just comes down to personal choice.

How I use my vision does change with distance. How I use my vision doing that one rail 8 ball was not the same as doing the long 9 cut. That was the point of the 3d pics.

How I use my vision riding my motorcycle fast up in the hills is not the same as I do typing this. Whole different view, so to speak. In hills, is more like see the 3d objects whereas typing this is like just seeing jumbled picture that had the 3d objects in it, flat.

I use my vision and visualization skills better than the average person. This maybe the difference that influences one person to choose one method over another.

The biggest difference is what I see in my field of view and where my field of view is. One of the things I learned in marital arts is you don't look at the person, but past them sightly. This way you can see any movement they make because your attention is not on one area.

Riding motorcycles requires seeing everything going on around you without paying attention to any one detail. You don't really look at anything thereby seeing everything. I've been behind a racer that was just focused on the rider in front of him, the rider in front of him went off track and so did he, I did not because I was looking past both of them to where I wanted to be on track for the next turn , yet I saw the whole thing happen.

Get in a pack of 30 motorcycle racers at a start of a race and we are going for the same spot in the same turn.....you learn to use your whole vision and all your other senses real quick.

When I do this playing pool, this greatly improve my position play. I'm able to see the shot and where I want to the CB to go which greatly helps with how I stroke. See, a cut shot is really not a cut shot, but a carom shot because what really matter on the shot is where the CB stops after caroming off the OB.

BTW these and other I have come from during my practice, these are not set up shots, but shots I have experienced.

PS......no, a sphere does not have a edge, kinda makes ya wonder how you use the edge of something to aim with that doesn't have an edge? Is it all in the imagination?

A sphere has a visual edge. Really?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
A sphere has a visual edge. Really?

A sphere can have a projection. Like a shadow. So in that sense the location of the sphere's 'edge' is dependent on the plane of the projection, which, of course, changes as you move your head around.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Thanks for that detailed response. However, I'm not sure how the 'right upper corner' snuck into this. The intent is to pocket both balls, in both setups, into the upper left corner.

Also, remember my question:

swest said:
Is there any difference between the change in his perception that takes place between 1-ball and 3-ball in the first setup, and the change in his perception that takes place between the 1-ball and 3-ball in the second setup?

Perception will be the same for both diagrams..

Setup 1.1 (1 ball to the right upper corner)
--15 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBC) with Right Visual Sweep
--30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBB) with Left Visual Sweep

Setup 1.2 (3 ball to the right upper corner)
--15/30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBB/OBC) with Right Visual Sweep
--45/30 Degree Perception (CBRE to OBA/OBB) with Left Visual Sweep

Setup 2.1 (3 ball to the left upper corner)
--15 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBA) with Left Visual Sweep
--30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBB) with Right Visual Sweep

Setup 2.2 (1 ball to the left upper corner)
--15/30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBA/OBB) with Left Visual Sweep
--45/30 Degree Perception (CBLE to OBC/OBB) with Right Visual Sweep

Can you give me one more go?

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
A sphere can have a projection. Like a shadow. So in that sense the location of the sphere's 'edge' is dependent on the plane of the projection, which, of course, changes as you move your head around.

The more I thought about this notion, the more I realized that it doesn't really apply to the way we perceive the 'edge' of a sphere. Particularly when binocular vision is factored in.

With a single eye, you would perceive less of the sphere than a planar projection, and with binocular vision, you perceive more of the sphere than a planar projection, with your brain combining the two monocular perceptions into a single, stereo view of the sphere.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Spheres definitely have visual edges and those edges shift depending on your eye position. I was questioning duckie's strange assertion.