Capture.PNG

Here are 7 players left in running

38650071_10156363590430115_3867894027466571776_n.jpg

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is here where we disagree. They have shown inferior pattern play, inferior defense, inferior kicking/jumping, year after year and I, for one, think that a lot of it has to do with bad decision making, not poor mental game issues. Their execution skills would, without question, improve with better mental training, but without better decision making, the cause is a lost one.

Stu, with all due respect, bad decision making is part of the mental game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, with all due respect, bad decision making is part of the mental game.

Not exactly, Jay. There are two types of bad decisions.

Type 1: You possess all the technical and tactical knowledge that go into the shot conceptualization process but fail to design the right shot.

Type 2: You are missing some of the technical and tactical knowledge that go into the shot conceptualization process and make a poor decision because you were not able to correctly evaluate the position.

Agreed that bad decision type 1 is related to the mental game. Bad decision type 2 has nothing to do with the mental game, and I feel strongly that our team makes a lot of type 2 bad decisions and needs instruction in certain areas of shot design.

I think Team USA makes more Type 2 bad decisions than Type 1 bad decisions.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Type 1: You possess all the technical and tactical knowledge that go into the shot conceptualization process but fail to design the right shot.

Type 2: You are missing some of the technical and tactical knowledge that go into the shot conceptualization process and make a poor decision because you were not able to correctly evaluate the position.

Agreed that bad decision type 1 is related to the mental game. Bad decision type 2 has nothing to do with the mental game, and I feel strongly that our team makes a lot of type 2 bad decisions and needs instruction in certain areas of shot design.

I was watching a 9 ball match between johnny archer and chris melling on youtube the other day. Both players shot well, but I think Melling ended up wining. I remember thinking as I watched that match how much more effortless Melling looked as he worked through a rack.

Both guys ran racks, but it seemed that Archer relied more on being able to make difficult shots due to getting slightly out of position, while Melling seemed to always recognize the easiest pattern ...he just seemed much more efficient. I notice a lot of the same things in the Cup...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was watching a 9 ball match between johnny archer and chris melling on youtube the other day. Both players shot well, but I think Melling ended up wining. I remember thinking as I watched that match how much more effortless Melling looked as he worked through a rack.

Both guys ran racks, but it seemed that Archer relied more on being able to make difficult shots due to getting slightly out of position, while Melling seemed to always recognize the easiest pattern ...he just seemed much more efficient. I notice a lot of the same things in the Cup...

Great observation. European angle management is a step above American angle management, and Melling is one of those who manages the table angles superbly. Incredibly enough, Souquet's patterns are even better than Melling's.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fact is, most of our "pros" are not pros, they just play very well.

If they put in the practice and fitness Shane does, their games would improve, it's not like they dont have the talent, they just dont have the professionalism that the Europeans do.

Why Shane doesn't perform in the Cup, I have no idea. Lone wolf syndrome perhaps.
Jason

Well said, we have a bunch of guys who run out pretty good but absolutely are not “professionals” there is a difference

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Great observation. European angle management is a step above American angle management, and Melling is one of those who manages the table angles superbly. Incredibly enough, Souquet's patterns are even better than Melling's.

I think this is due more to the status the game has in Europe, and the opportunities to compete against world class talent, than anything else.

In America, a top player has very few opportunities to prove themselves against world class talent, so they become accustomed to playing "just well enough" to dominate the players they play against on a regular basis.

As a case in point, let's take a player here in Germany that lives about 90 minutes from me, Can Salim. Can beat Shredder in a 10 ball match, and played Alex Olinger on a 9 footer at Derby this year, and absolutely tortured him. Like, as in, didn't really even need to try that hard.

And Can Salim is not even in the top ten in Germany, if I am not mistaken. The point being, even the guys way down the totem pole have to fade some VERY high level talent at pretty much any tournament that pays over 300-400 Euros for first place.

How many matches per year does a guy like Justin Bergman get to play in 9 foot tournaments against someone who plays within a ball or two of Niels Feijen? Precious few, outside of the gambling realm. And the gambling doesn't count, because every single game counts when you are trying to win a big tournament, whereas in gambling, you just go on to the next one.

The competitors in Europe have ample opportunity to compete against champions and near-champions on a weekly basis. Their games are shaped by the need to win THIS rack, at all costs. And they grind like nobody's business.So, yes, they do work on angles because they need to shave the percentages as close as they can, because EVERY game counts against the level of competition they have to fade.

In America, most of the tournaments that someone like Bergman plays, either it's on a barbox, and absolutely no challenge, or it's a non-major, and 90% of the field will give him an extra 3 shots per match, which is more than enough to win. In Europe, giving a single extra shot on average over all your matches is enough to put you in the middle of the field. It might not matter in a single match, but it WILL matter over 5-6 of them. One of those guys will make you pay.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

All the boot camps in the world won't cure bad habits. PM sent.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
All the boot camps in the world won't cure bad habits. PM sent.

Well said, but I'm strongly contending that some of the bad habits found on Team USA year after year after year are the result of insufficient knowledge.

Boot camps designed to fill the knowledge gaps would make a difference, but if the boot camps address execution and not shot conceptualization, then the boot camps won't make enough difference.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think this is due more to the status the game has in Europe, and the opportunities to compete against world class talent, than anything else.

In America, a top player has very few opportunities to prove themselves against world class talent, so they become accustomed to playing "just well enough" to dominate the players they play against on a regular basis.

As a case in point, let's take a player here in Germany that lives about 90 minutes from me, Can Salim. Can beat Shredder in a 10 ball match, and played Alex Olinger on a 9 footer at Derby this year, and absolutely tortured him. Like, as in, didn't really even need to try that hard.

And Can Salim is not even in the top ten in Germany, if I am not mistaken. The point being, even the guys way down the totem pole have to fade some VERY high level talent at pretty much any tournament that pays over 300-400 Euros for first place.

How many matches per year does a guy like Justin Bergman get to play in 9 foot tournaments against someone who plays within a ball or two of Niels Feijen? Precious few, outside of the gambling realm. And the gambling doesn't count, because every single game counts when you are trying to win a big tournament, whereas in gambling, you just go on to the next one.

The competitors in Europe have ample opportunity to compete against champions and near-champions on a weekly basis. Their games are shaped by the need to win THIS rack, at all costs. And they grind like nobody's business.So, yes, they do work on angles because they need to shave the percentages as close as they can, because EVERY game counts against the level of competition they have to fade.

In America, most of the tournaments that someone like Bergman plays, either it's on a barbox, and absolutely no challenge, or it's a non-major, and 90% of the field will give him an extra 3 shots per match, which is more than enough to win. In Europe, giving a single extra shot on average over all your matches is enough to put you in the middle of the field. It might not matter in a single match, but it WILL matter over 5-6 of them. One of those guys will make you pay.

Every US tournament is filled with killers from all over the world, saying there are very few chances to play other strong players is nonsense!

That's why guys like Bergman and Dechaine don't travel to the tournaments to play - they cant win. They have to beat Shane, Shaw, Dennis, Kaci, Filler, Alex, etc. They have no chance.

Dont even mention the US Open where you add Chang, Ko's and on and on. Over half the field is a favorite over them.

Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Excellent post. I agree but must add that a big part of the difference is that the elite Europeans have always played the WPA events, as well as the top events in both Europe and America. Unfortunately, most of the top Americans compete in the USA only, and this, as you suggests, gets in the way of developing the strongest possible competitive pedigrees.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Every US tournament is filled with killers from all over the world, saying there are very few chances to play other strong players is nonsense!

That's why guys like Bergman and Dechaine don't travel to the tournaments to play - they cant win. They have to beat Shane, Shaw, Dennis, Kaci, Filler, Alex, etc. They have no chance.

Dont even mention the US Open where you add Chang, Ko's and on and on. Over half the field is a favorite over them.

Jason

Name 5 more U.S. tournaments outside of the U.S. Open that gets 20 world class players in it.

Turning Stone has maybe 5 top top players, and then is filled with shortstops and 2nd/3rd tier American pros, which is pretty much equal to a 1000-2000 Euro first prize tourney here in Europe, which can be found somewhere almost every month.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Name 5 more U.S. tournaments outside of the U.S. Open that gets 20 world class players in it.

Turning Stone has maybe 5 top top players, and then is filled with shortstops and 2nd/3rd tier American pros, which is pretty much equal to a 1000-2000 Euro first prize tourney here in Europe, which can be found somewhere almost every month.

Guess you haven't been paying attention to who has been winning all the tournaments in the US.

Besides, they only need 2 to 4 of these guys to show up to be a dog to make a profit
Jason

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Guess you haven't been paying attention to who has been winning all the tournaments in the US.

Besides, they only need 2 to 4 of these guys to show up to be a dog to make a profit
Jason

I have no idea what your first sentence has to do with anything. As far as major 9 foot tournaments paying well enough to encourage top level talent, there are only two that I know of.. Turning Stone and the U.S. Open. And the Turning Stone tournament does not pay well enough to induce international players to come just for the tournament, so the only high level talent you get are the few world class pros that live in the U.S.. And, as such, American players might only have 1 or 2 in their bracket before the Semis/Finals, where in the U.S. Open, you have to slay giant after giant after the shortstops go out in the 2nd or 3rd round.

So, in effect, there is only one good tournament for guys like Justin Bergman to jump to that next level. Whereas in Europe, you have a tournament almost every weekend where you might get the chance to get down against a guy who might have beat Filler multiple times in tournaments. And that's the difference.

And I am totally not arguing with you that Bergman is not a favorite in any tournament where a couple of world class players are in the field. He is simply not at that level yet. He MIGHT be #2 i the USA, but it is a very distant #2. Shane might be the best player in the world, and Bergman would probably never make the final 16 of a world championship, even if he attended.

No offence to Bergman, if he reads this. He just REALLY needs to work on his break to get to the next level.

Last edited: