Chaning to a fast cloth

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I should start another thread...

Am going to put new cloth on 8ft Brunswick table, 50 yrs old. I might get more into it but I'm just a casual player and my buds are too. I have been thinking of getting Simonis 760 because I read that it is faster. Do you think a faster cloth is a mistake? Will my buds freak out? We play on 7ft bar tables. And that is all 8-ball. Anyway, looking to get my pool room spiffed up with a thorough cleaning, new cloth and new pool balls.

Hmmm... having second thoughts on 760. I seem to have gravitated to getting Tournament Blue color. But now thinking, what if 760 is too fast for comfort? I first considered Championship brand but then got to thinking a faster one would be fun.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Am going to put new cloth on 8ft Brunswick table, 50 yrs old. I might get more into it but I'm just a casual player and my buds are too. I have been thinking of getting Simonis 760 because I read that it is faster. Do you think a faster cloth is a mistake? Will my buds freak out? We play on 7ft bar tables. And that is all 8-ball. Anyway, looking to get my pool room spiffed up with a thorough cleaning, new cloth and new pool balls.

Hmmm... having second thoughts on 760. I seem to have gravitated to getting Tournament Blue color. But now thinking, what if 760 is too fast for comfort? I first considered Championship brand but then got to thinking a faster one would be fun.
I wouldn't go with 760. It's faster because it is not as thick, thus is not as durable. 860 will last you longer, and will be plenty fast enough, particularly if you guys are used to playing on bar tables, likely with thicker, slower cloth.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get use to 760 and you will be in trouble when you visit most any room in public.

860 HR. is what I would recommend.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really fast cloth sucks to play on.
Not the way the game was supposed to be played.
Same with super tight pockets.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get use to 760 and you will be in trouble when you visit most any room in public.

860 HR. is what I would recommend.

I have 760 on my 8 footer and I like it. Fast cloth makes you concentrate on the delicate end of your game.

It is easier to increment power than it is to add delicacy. So when you find you have to roll the CB exactly 19.7" to get the next shot, you can.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have 760 on my 8 footer and I like it. Fast cloth makes you concentrate on the delicate end of your game.

It is easier to increment power than it is to add delicacy. So when you find you have to roll the CB exactly 19.7" to get the next shot, you can.

Except that when you play on any other table than your own, that shot only goes 13 inches.

And you can't draw your rock to save your life on any table other than your own.

No, thank you...

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you primarily shoot in an 8ball bar league as I do myself, I would try to keep it as close to the cloths your used to. My teams table has 760 simonis on it and it’s very fast... too fast I think. If you spin the ball it will have a tendency to slide more and it will throw your aim off a bit when using English. Also get new cushions.... new fast cloth with rock hard cushions will suck!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get use to 760 and you will be in trouble when you visit most any room in public /QUOTE]

Tell me about it! My (basement) 760 is 25 yrs. old. The only good public 9’ table within reasonable driving range has carom cloth. On every shot, the cue ball runs double the distance you expect!
I will say though, as long as the table is recently brushed (& properly leveled), the balls run exceptionally true. Thus competing on super-fast cloth will develop a finesse in your playing style that bartable ‘bangers’ never achieve.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

860HR is plenty fast for an 8' or any table really. Plus it should last a very long time in home use. Get tournament blue and don't look back!

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also should mention that the room is not insulated, it's a converted garage. Has a fireplace, is carpeted with indoor-outdoor carpet. I have a window a/c that works great in summer heat but I turn it on only when I will be in there. So, the room varies between probably 45 deg and 85 deg year round.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also should mention that the room is not insulated, it's a converted garage. Has a fireplace, is carpeted with indoor-outdoor carpet. I have a window a/c that works great in summer heat but I turn it on only when I will be in there. So, the room varies between probably 45 deg and 85 deg year round.

Is your room humid?

Most commercial rooms will have regular Simonis 860. The room I grew up in, the owner is a 350 ball straight pool running pro, and he has 760 on all the tables. The players all love it. One year, he tried 860, and everyone hated it. It was dog slow. The caveat to this room, is it was right next to a swamp, and was always humid. All of the other rooms in the area were in dry locations, and had 860. They dry rooms 860 played the same speed as the wet room 760.

Therefore, if your room is in a humid location, I'd go with the 760. If it is in a dry location, I'd go with 860.

For my own home table, I went with 860. After 6 years, the cloth is still in very good condition. If I get it recovered in the next few years, I might go with 760, just for shits and giggles...

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those of you who mention 860... is 860HR not a better choice? I have read it is slightly faster.

As for humidity, I am thinking my pool room humidity would be about the same as outside air, especially since it's non-insulated and there is also a fireplace where communication could occur. This is north Louisiana, about the same as east Texas. So, 40% - 50% humidity (and even higher) is common. It doesn't often get below 40%. Only in drought conditions in hot summer have I seen 20's.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I would choose 860HR over 860 for humid conditions.

I would also look into purchasing a dehumidifier.

Those of you who mention 860... is 860HR not a better choice? I have read it is slightly faster.

As for humidity, I am thinking my pool room humidity would be about the same as outside air, especially since it's non-insulated and there is also a fireplace where communication could occur. This is north Louisiana, about the same as east Texas. So, 40% - 50% humidity (and even higher) is common. It doesn't often get below 40%. Only in drought conditions in hot summer have I seen 20's.