Cues - it seems like more simple design is were it is at ?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard of Schmelke since the Jackpot debacle. Is it a good cue?

I'm waiting for Pete to give me a quote and will revise my build.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Jimmy , I don't own one and I do not have a dog in that fight, I just listed them as I know some members here have one . I was just acknowledging them due to their simple design. Sorry for mentioning them and causing any arguments , That was not my intention. Just wanted to discuss the simplicity of Cues these days . Thanks

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Jimmy , I don't own one and I do not have a dog in that fight, I just listed them as I know some members here have one . I was just acknowledging them due to their simple design. Sorry for mentioning them and causing any arguments , That was not my intention. Just wanted to discuss the simplicity of Cues these days . Thanks

Don't worry.

They are simple, look good and play damn good,

Haters will hate.

Players will play.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Like a well made car. Some have more options than your wallet, add on options 95% of the time have NO effect on the Ride/performance, it's esthetics. Each piece of Wood is always different.
If you had to choose between ten women in front of you with blonde hair and blue eyes. Would you choose the one with more or less bling? Or would you want to hit a few balls with it, before your decision?

I remember yrs ago, going to Showcase Billiards in N. Denver/Great Owner business man. I was looking for a certain Production Cuetec. I hit balls with 70 different cues and found One that I liked the hit.

I've played with the best dressed/inlaid cues one could find, but found that it all comes down to the wood/balance and feel of hit for me.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a well made car. Some have more options than your wallet, add on options 95% of the time have NO effect on the Ride/performance, it's esthetics. Each piece of Wood is always different.
If you had to choose between ten women in front of you with blonde hair and blue eyes. Would you choose the one with more or less bling? Or would you want to hit a few balls with it, before your decision?

I remember yrs ago, going to Showcase Billiards in N. Denver/Great Owner business man. I was looking for a certain Production Cuetec. I hit balls with 70 different cues and found One that I liked the hit.

I've played with the best dressed/inlaid cues one could find, but found that it all comes down to the wood/balance and feel of hit for me.

I have found that's why I like Ebony so much. Very dense wood. Feels good.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need a wrapless cue now because of an issue with the fingertips on my grip hands.

Wrapless cue with 4 points. Maple shaft. Flat faced joint. 3/8x10 or radial.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I need a wrapless cue now because of an issue with the fingertips on my grip hands.

Wrapless cue with 4 points. Maple shaft. Flat faced joint. 3/8x10 or radial.

I had a new wrapless cue during my earlier yrs. What I found out for me
was this. I was playing better every year and finally in my youth was making it to the Sat. pro events in Reno. The crowds/humidity increased. I had a simple straight back draw shot (12''), the sweat on my hands came into play. Kirschenbrock. I then ordered and got a new Zamboti, arrived in 1978. What I found out was the tackiness on my grip was not good till the leather got warm. In match play that I had to hold the cue grip in my lap to keep it warm, hated that, sold that 3 shaft cue. I talked with Nicky (Varner) since he's from Humidity/period in KY. He told me to go back to linen because of my hand sweat with room conditions at times being too hot and always in flux depending on spectator count.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Ebony cues are ugly.
Ugh! Filthy ugly.
And they hit like wet expired noodle .
Go with ramin and bamboo.

Attachments

• ebo1.JPG
    ebo1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 330
  • ebo2.JPG
    ebo2.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 339
  • ebo3.JPG
    ebo3.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 243

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's all that matters.

The rest is for looks.

Less rings, inlays, and whirly birds makes for less stuff to crack, chip, swell, shrink or pop over the years.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The common sense is still alive post of the year!

With the exception of the hundred and fifty bucks. No way in hell they have anywhere near that much into them.

I agree. Any cue made in China or Taiwan is marked up several times before it gets to the customer. The next time I go to Taiwan, I'm going to go to the companies and get a wholesale price list. I always am staying in the city that produces most of the Taiwan production cues. If the sellers want to quibble about their markup, I'll post the list showing what the actual prices are.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that's why I like Ebony so much. Very dense wood.

Objectively, there's plenty of wood that is the same, or harder/stiffer/denser. About the only think unique to ebony is color.

Also, how many "ebony" cues really exploit the wood itself? In a short splice cue with butt sleeve, its really just inlay & a short veneer wrap. In a FS, it is usually cored. though i haven't bothered.... yet.....:) It's not necessarily easy to get the weight under 19 oz for a FS with ebony unless it is a relatively small diameter butt, 58" cue. If you like 21 oz cues, that's not a problem.

Feels good

Nobody can argue with subjective evaluation, though.:)

smt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Objectively, there's plenty of wood that is the same, or harder/stiffer/denser. About the only think unique to ebony is color.

Also, how many "ebony" cues really exploit the wood itself? In a short splice cue with butt sleeve, its really just inlay & a short veneer wrap. In a FS, it is usually cored. though i haven't bothered.... yet.....:) It's not necessarily easy to get the weight under 19 oz for a FS with ebony unless it is a relatively small diameter butt, 58" cue. If you like 21 oz cues, that's not a problem.

smt

The same applies to pretty (pun intended) much everthing on a cue when it comes to "looks".

I hate red veneers when it comes to the total "flame" look.

I hate green veneers when they are multiples of green shades.

I hate tons of "bling".

I hate fancy rings everwhere.

I have some cues with things I don't like about their looks, but I didn't buy them for their looks. I got them because they played good.

To me, simple is good.

If something doesn't improve the play of the cue, I don't need it.

To each, their own.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you let the dealer pick the color of your car.

Most of my cues are custom.

If I were to order a production cue that played the way I liked and it only came in one color, I would pick the cue based upon if I wanted it for its playability regardless if it was not my favorite color.

I have several cues that I bought off other people and I tried them before I got them.

I have a custom made of white and black ebony. I didn't decide if the white ebony or the black ebony was the best color. I liked the way it hit.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The same applies to pretty (pun intended) much everthing on a cue when it comes to "looks".

I hate red veneers when it comes to the total "flame" look.

I hate green veneers when they are multiples of green shades.

I hate tons of "bling".

I hate fancy rings everwhere.

I have some cues with things I don't like about their looks, but I didn't buy them for their looks. I got them because they played good.

To me, simple is good.

If something doesn't improve the play of the cue, I don't need it.

To each, their own.

You're going to love mine....fancy ring, mother of pearl, ivory and leather wrap.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're going to love mine....fancy ring, mother of pearl, ivory and leather wrap.

Who makes it?

I have cues with leather wraps.

I have cues with inlays (no ivory).

i have cues with rings.

I just don't like cues that I think are "over done" with stuff.

Fancy cues are okay, but they aren't something I would ever "order" that way in a custom cue.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes it?

I have cues with leather wraps.

I have cues with inlays (no ivory).

i have cues with rings.

I just don't like cues that I think are "over done" with stuff.

Fancy cues are okay, but they aren't something I would ever "order" that way in a custom cue.

Fair enough.

In the practical sense a great plain Janes are always better. I had a few that shot great!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

smt

Mine does. Its Gobon Ebony from joint to buttcap. No splices or points. Is does have the straight line core feature.

There are not too many woods available that are denser then Ebony, and are suitable for cues.

But you are correct about diameter of the butt. It is a smaller circumference. A friend of mine commented on it.

Attachments

• OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited: