How I got my pool nickname...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Or as Luigi would say, my nom de pool.

The story won't be fascinating or anything like that but I hope others who have acquired nicknames will see fit to add their story here. In that way, those who come after us might see how they were acquired and under what conditions.

My nickname came about quite naturally. It wasn't anything extraordinary like many nicknames it was quite relative. My typical day was I got to work at 8:00 am every morning; I mean the real work. I was a salesman for a large business forms company in New Orleans called Duplex Products. I excelled at selling business forms not from talent but kind of like my pool game, just plain old determination and sticktoitiveness. My sales and order entry were down to a fine science by the time I started hanging out at the Sport Palace in New Orleans and I would normally be finished my day's work by lunch time. Just so you guys and girls don't get the wrong idea about my work ethic: The company paid their salesmen on what they sold only. It was straight commission. No Salary. If you didn't make your draw, you went in the hole and had to earn your way back out of the hole. The company didn't let you sit in the hole for long and they would send you down the road in a heart beat if you weren't productive. Sometimes I would work at night or weekends or whenever it was necessary to keep the orders rolling in. Not once in the 12 years that I worked for them, did I ever go in the hole even once. I always had an extra commission check coming every month above my draw. It wasn't the easiest job in the world but by the time I started playing pool at the Sport Palace I had it down to a science and my boss was quite happy with my productivity. I even carried him a time or two.

At lunch time, I would go over to the Sport Palace and either grab a quick Po-Boy roast beef sandwich or maybe a shrimp sandwich and quickly go over the the pool hall. As soon as I arrived, it was kind of strange, they treated me like I was a celebrity of sorts. (I had a job, money, played pool, enjoyed gambling and had some free time to do what they all liked to do). I wore a suit or coat and tie every day to work and when I would come into the Sport Palace I would leave my coat in the car and come in with my cue and case in hand, with my tie always in tack. I didn't know it at the time and really didn't pay any attention to the reason that the gamblers were attracted to me but they were always fighting to see who would play me that day.

No more than a few minutes would pass before someone would offer me a game I couldn't refuse. Nubby was my favorite pool hustler. He was a drug dealer by trade and had lost one of his hands do to a dynamite explosion or so he always told me. There were many others, Earl Heisler (the big dog) Al Werlein (the road warrior) Ernie Sellers (the Lamb killer and one of the few pool players that made a decent living gambling at pool). Ernie worked at his trade all over the country and he could really play but seldom ever showed his true speed. Racetrack Al and Hotel Al, two different guys from different parts of the world would often be there when I gambled trying to get in some side bets. There were dozens of working stiffs like myself who liked the shadowy underworld of the Sport Palace with the discreet card room in the back where you had to be a member of the Red Rose Social Club (charter and all) to play. Tall Paul, Railroad Willie, Pots and Pans, Joe the Grinder, Mr. Steve (one of my favorites), Louie Knott, LIttle Louie KNott, Little Sal, Eddie Brown, Jim D'Fish, Louie the fisherman, Tenneco, Larry Griff the golfer, Jerome Gambino (I always thought he wsa part of the Louisiana mafia ), PVL, Mike Cummings the baseball player, Country, Mule, Bull, Nut, Red Charlie, Fu Man Chu, Junior the card sharp; God, I could probably go on for another half hour with all of the characters that played pool out of that pool room and most everyone had a nickname. The charter for the card room was a farce and basically it was a means of segretating the gamblers by race but it also kept the law out of the back room unless they had a search warrant or had permission from either Louie Knott or Earl Heisler to go back there. It was what it was and was there before my time. How it existed in the eighties I will never know. There were no racial barriers in the pool room and all races locked horns and gambled with one another with no holds barred. Nubby REALLY liked gambling with me. At the time I first arrived, I didn't even know all of the rules of one pocket, let alone the many shots and strategies that go with the game. The players would give me weight and I would play for five ten or twenty dollars a game every day for a few hours before making my way home.

Nubby knew the game of one pocket quite well but didn't shoot that straight and I knew from the start that he would make a great customer for me. He too knew that I was a man to keep my mouth shut about how much he lost to me (which was important to him) and so each day I would have a game with one of the scores of gamblers that hung out at the Sport Palace. Nubby would rest his cue shaft on the wrist bone just above where his hand once was located and did all right for himself. I kept my winnings and his business to myself as most everyone did in those days. He would occasionally get mad at me (mostly a conjured anger that was just for show) and quit me but he always came back to play again and again for years. I always showed him respect and I think that meant something special to him. The Sport Palace was a tough place to cut your teeth playing pool and respect was something that you earned with prowess at the table. Nubby didn't play poorly, he just had too much money and would always make the game more than fair for me and I always wanted to thank him and so I never said unkind things to him or about him behind his back. He must have liked that because he repaid me many times. I would lose on occasion and it didn't matter if it was twenty dollars, it kept Nubby happy and something for him to hold his head up high. He didn't need much to keep him happy and I didn't give him much except for keeping my mouth shut.

Anyway, after a game and stakes were set, I would walk straight to the pool table without hitting a ball (they all loved that) and set the balls on the table with the ball holding rack under the table. Then I would remove my tie and place it in the ball holding rack and begin play. This protocol was repeated for years and then one day after I had earned enough respect, Hotel Al (a real New Orleans character) who still operates a limousine service in New Orleans at the Hotels, announced that my name was Joey With A Tie and anytime someone wanted to differentiate me from one of the other Joeys, they would simply say, "Joey With A Tie".

Hope you enjoyed it. :smile:

Now let's hear yours.

JoeyA (Joey With A Tie)

P.S. Other nicknames came later but they didn't stick like: The Cannon Killer. :D

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jeez. like to talk about yourself much?

only kidding... great story :thumbup:

My story?

See signature, doesn't get much more complicated than that lol

I will say, however that my childhood name was "Scooter Pooter" because when I was in the crawling stage as a baby, I would crawl a little, then rip a fart, and then scoot a little more. I was the most inefficient gas propelled object on the planet at the time.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Good story, Joey "With A Tie".
Some others from back in the day at the Palace were, Shotgun Dave, Vesper, Jerry Greco, Mike Brewer, Frank White, Flip, Louie Bonneville (sp), Bill Stack, Larry Charbonnet and Gene "The Guppy."

Poker player smooth movers in the back room, Luc Eddie, Richie Jackson (Stebbins), Huey Morrison, Ray & George Shultz, Jo-Jo. 3 Finger Pete Geraci, Joe Fasullo and yours truly.

Doug
(back in the 60s, were you known as Joey "With A Tie-Dye" ?) :) I can't picture THAT !

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Story

Great Story! I barely remember the Sports Palace. I did pass through there once or twice as an outsider back when the world was young.

I'm kinda surprised you didn't get nicknamed Joey Tie or Joey the Tie.

One question did you really have to list Bull and Nut behind each other? :D :D :D

Pool nicknames eluded me or I eluded them. I worked as a grease monkey from an early age and I was nicknamed more for the hair, beard, and always black t-shirt to hide grease stains than anything else although some nicknames might have referred to a temper I gave free rein to far too often back then.

Hu

JoeyA said:

The story won't be fascinating or anything like that but I hope others who have acquired nicknames will see fit to add their story here. In that way, those who come after us might see how they were acquired and under what conditions.

Now let's hear yours.

JoeyA (Joey With A Tie)

P.S. Other nicknames came later but they didn't stick like: The Cannon Killer. :D

Bayawak

Tirador
Silver Member
Pool nicknames

JoeyA said:

My nickname came about quite naturally. It wasn't anything extraordinary like many nicknames it was quite relative. My typical day was I got to work at 8:00 am every morning; I mean the real work. I was a salesman for a large business forms company in New Orleans called Duplex Products. I excelled at selling business forms not from talent but kind of like my pool game, just plain old determination and sticktoitiveness. My sales and order entry were down to a fine science by the time I started hanging out at the Sport Palace in New Orleans and I would normally be finished my day's work by lunch time. Just so you guys and girls don't get the wrong idea about my work ethic: The company paid their salesmen on what they sold only. It was straight commission. No Salary. If you didn't make your draw, you went in the hole and had to earn your way back out of the hole. The company didn't let you sit in the hole for long and they would send you down the road in a heart beat if you weren't productive. Sometimes I would work at night or weekends or whenever it was necessary to keep the orders rolling in. Not once in the 12 years that I worked for them, did I ever go in the hole even once. I always had an extra commission check coming every month above my draw. It wasn't the easiest job in the world but by the time I started playing pool at the Sport Palace I had it down to a science and my boss was quite happy with my productivity. I even carried him a time or two.

At lunch time, I would go over to the Sport Palace and either grab a quick Po-Boy roast beef sandwich or maybe a shrimp sandwich and quickly go over the the pool hall. As soon as I arrived, it was kind of strange, they treated me like I was a celebrity of sorts. (I had a job, money, played pool, enjoyed gambling and had some free time to do what they all liked to do). I wore a suit or coat and tie every day to work and when I would come into the Sport Palace I would leave my coat in the car and come in with my cue and case in hand, with my tie always in tack. I didn't know it at the time and really didn't pay any attention to the reason that the gamblers were attracted to me but they were always fighting to see who would play me that day.

No more than a few minutes would pass before someone would offer me a game I couldn't refuse. Nubby was my favorite pool hustler. He was a drug dealer by trade and had lost one of his hands do to a dynamite explosion or so he always told me. There were many others, Earl Heisler (the big dog) Al Werlein (the road warrior) Ernie Sellers (the Lamb killer and one of the few pool players that made a decent living gambling at pool). Ernie worked at his trade all over the country and he could really play but seldom ever showed his true speed. Racetrack Al and Hotel Al, two different guys from different parts of the world would often be there when I gambled trying to get in some side bets. There were dozens of working stiffs like myself who liked the shadowy underworld of the Sport Palace with the discreet card room in the back where you had to be a member of the Red Rose Social Club (charter and all) to play. Tall Paul, Railroad Willie, Pots and Pans, Joe the Grinder, Mr. Steve (one of my favorites), Louie Knott, LIttle Louie KNott, Little Sal, Eddie Brown, Jim D'Fish, Louie the fisherman, Tenneco, Larry Griff the golfer, Jerome Gambino (I always thought he wsa part of the Louisiana mafia ), PVL, Mike Cummings the baseball player, Country, Mule, Bull, Nut, Red Charlie, Fu Man Chu, Junior the card sharp; God, I could probably go on for another half hour with all of the characters that played pool out of that pool room and most everyone had a nickname. The charter for the card room was a farce and basically it was a means of segretating the gamblers by race but it also kept the law out of the back room unless they had a search warrant or had permission from either Louie Knott or Earl Heisler to go back there. It was what it was and was there before my time. How it existed in the eighties I will never know. There were no racial barriers in the pool room and all races locked horns and gambled with one another with no holds barred. Nubby REALLY liked gambling with me. At the time I first arrived, I didn't even know all of the rules of one pocket, let alone the many shots and strategies that go with the game. The players would give me weight and I would play for five ten or twenty dollars a game every day for a few hours before making my way home.

Nubby knew the game of one pocket quite well but didn't shoot that straight and I knew from the start that he would make a great customer for me. He too knew that I was a man to keep my mouth shut about how much he lost to me (which was important to him) and so each day I would have a game with one of the scores of gamblers that hung out at the Sport Palace. Nubby would rest his cue shaft on the wrist bone just above where his hand once was located and did all right for himself. I kept my winnings and his business to myself as most everyone did in those days. He would occasionally get mad at me (mostly a conjured anger that was just for show) and quit me but he always came back to play again and again for years. I always showed him respect and I think that meant something special to him. The Sport Palace was a tough place to cut your teeth playing pool and respect was something that you earned with prowess at the table. Nubby didn't play poorly, he just had too much money and would always make the game more than fair for me and I always wanted to thank him and so I never said unkind things to him or about him behind his back. He must have liked that because he repaid me many times. I would lose on occasion and it didn't matter if it was twenty dollars, it kept Nubby happy and something for him to hold his head up high. He didn't need much to keep him happy and I didn't give him much except for keeping my mouth shut.

Anyway, after a game and stakes were set, I would walk straight to the pool table without hitting a ball (they all loved that) and set the balls on the table with the ball holding rack under the table. Then I would remove my tie and place it in the ball holding rack and begin play. This protocol was repeated for years and then one day after I had earned enough respect, Hotel Al (a real New Orleans character) who still operates a limousine service in New Orleans at the Hotels, announced that my name was Joey With A Tie and anytime someone wanted to differentiate me from one of the other Joeys, they would simply say, "Joey With A Tie".

Now let's hear yours.

JoeyA (Joey With A Tie)

Joey,

That was really entertaining and an illuminating dissertation on your part, that's why you are one of my favorite characters in this forum. The way you laid out the plot of how you got your nickname was really great. The colorful characters that you interacted during your time was reminiscent of my own both here and in the P.I.

Anyhow, to put it literally, "tirador", my aka, literally means road player in colloquial terms. There was a point in time during my pool playing years where I used to play anybody and everybody who passed through my neck of woods here in Virginia. My Filipino friends dubbed me "tirador" because at the time I played good enough to get the cheese most of the time.

I've been called worse names and moniker but that's another story for another time.

My compadre and I might hook up with Pareng Efren in the next two months and I'll ask him about you. We are planning to start doing our own line of cues which will be totally different from the mainstream line of playing cues.

bayawak aka "tirador"

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only nick name I ever had was "The Student", because of my, you might say ferocious, study of the game, it's history, etc. Not a lot of people called me that, only a very few.
Others I might have had: fish, guppy, lamb,you get the picture;)

bencho

n00b
Silver Member
I got called Lookout Lucasi for a bit. I found it amusing. Basically, I played with a Lucasi and sometimes I'd shoot very well. Still working on that consistency ^.^

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My pool nickname is Easymoney
which is a play on my actual name plus the fact that when gambling
my favorite game is called " Hondo wins." :wink:

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

Now let's hear yours.

JoeyA (Joey With A Tie)

Great story! Def. green rep to you!

I've had my own share of noms de pool, and they kinda go in and out of style, but one's really stuck. When I first started showing up at ProTyme Billiards, I was an ultra-newguy. Because I was both younger and less experienced than another John that shot in that hall, I picked up the name John Junior, just shortened to Junior over time.

When I made the move to Red Shoes as my home hall, I wanted to leave my old nickname behind. I wasn't really a fan of Junior because no one knew what my real name was, so I started requesting that people called me John. Which was probably a dumb move considering both the owners are named John, too. I find myself looking around whenever someone yells "John!" asking them to watch a shot or to spot a ball up.

Since I've been at Red Shoes, I've picked up a few different nicknames. I still go by Junior to people who knew me from ProTyme, then there's John Jacob ( not my middle name :eek: ), Spot Shot John, and Got Jokes, or Johnny Jokes.

Now, being real, I'm not a great player. I'm in the middle-B range with occasional flashes of high-B in 9-ball. One day I was shooting the breeze with a friend of mine Mike. He was shooting on one of the front tables, so I came over and started talking to him to pass the time while I was watching the counter. Eventually he puts his cue down and just talks to me. At this point, an older gentleman by the name of Jimmy comes up (as he'll do, he just sorta roams the hall) and listens in. Somewhere in the course of our conversation, I get the itch to pick up Mike's cue and shoot a few shots. So I set up a spot shot and drill it, cue ball comes two rails back into the kitchen. Jimmy's at the other end of the table, so he takes another ball out of the bucket and spots it up. I'm still carrying on with the topic, chatting with Mike and Jimmy, drill another spot shot. Jimmy puts another ball up. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Finally put the 10th one hard into the tit, and I put the cue down. From that point on, Jimmy could hardly contain himself to tell people that I made those 9 spot shots whenever he sees me playing one pocket. Eventually another friend Chris hears about it and starts calling me Spot Shot John.

JoeyA

Silver Member
BWTadpole said:
Great story! Def. green rep to you!

I've had my own share of noms de pool, and they kinda go in and out of style, but one's really stuck. When I first started showing up at ProTyme Billiards, I was an ultra-newguy. Because I was both younger and less experienced than another John that shot in that hall, I picked up the name John Junior, just shortened to Junior over time.

When I made the move to Red Shoes as my home hall, I wanted to leave my old nickname behind. I wasn't really a fan of Junior because no one knew what my real name was, so I started requesting that people called me John. Which was probably a dumb move considering both the owners are named John, too. I find myself looking around whenever someone yells "John!" asking them to watch a shot or to spot a ball up.

Since I've been at Red Shoes, I've picked up a few different nicknames. I still go by Junior to people who knew me from ProTyme, then there's John Jacob ( not my middle name :eek: ), Spot Shot John, and Got Jokes, or Johnny Jokes.

Now, being real, I'm not a great player. I'm in the middle-B range with occasional flashes of high-B in 9-ball. One day I was shooting the breeze with a friend of mine Mike. He was shooting on one of the front tables, so I came over and started talking to him to pass the time while I was watching the counter. Eventually he puts his cue down and just talks to me. At this point, an older gentleman by the name of Jimmy comes up (as he'll do, he just sorta roams the hall) and listens in. Somewhere in the course of our conversation, I get the itch to pick up Mike's cue and shoot a few shots. So I set up a spot shot and drill it, cue ball comes two rails back into the kitchen. Jimmy's at the other end of the table, so he takes another ball out of the bucket and spots it up. I'm still carrying on with the topic, chatting with Mike and Jimmy, drill another spot shot. Jimmy puts another ball up. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Finally put the 10th one hard into the tit, and I put the cue down. From that point on, Jimmy could hardly contain himself to tell people that I made those 9 spot shots whenever he sees me playing one pocket. Eventually another friend Chris hears about it and starts calling me Spot Shot John.

Good stuff Spot Shot!
JoeyA

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time a girl I had been out hustling around with for a few months had me over to her house. She proposed that we play 'strip pool' and I should give her the 5-out in 9b on her bar table. She breaks the first game, I win it and proceed to break and run 6 racks in a row. (take a second to count clothing items here - shoes and socks take four turns) Funny how the games started taking longer as I just couldn't seem to help but leave her a lot of shots :)

Well, eventually I had to take off my shirt. She saw my stomach and well, that's where I got the nickname sixpack. :D

~rc

JoeyA

Silver Member
Bayawak said:
Joey,

That was really entertaining and an illuminating dissertation on your part, that's why you are one of my favorite characters in this forum. The way you laid out the plot of how you got your nickname was really great. The colorful characters that you interacted during your time was reminiscent of my own both here and in the P.I.

Anyhow, to put it literally, "tirador", my aka, literally means road player in colloquial terms. There was a point in time during my pool playing years where I used to play anybody and everybody who passed through my neck of woods here in Virginia. My Filipino friends dubbed me "tirador" because at the time I played good enough to get the cheese most of the time.

I've been called worse names and moniker but that's another story for another time.

My compadre and I might hook up with Pareng Efren in the next two months and I'll ask him about you. We are planning to start doing our own line of cues which will be totally different from the mainstream line of playing cues.

bayawak aka "tirador"

Don't stay in the shadows. Say hello some time. :wink:
JoeyA

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

Now let's hear yours.

JoeyA (Joey With A Tie)

Great story Joey With A Tie! Thanks for sharing.

:)

~rc

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've had several over the years. First one was "Rabbit", because of the way I ran around the table and ready to shoot almost before the QB stopped. Yes I did speed back then.

Another that I had in my own poolroom was "The Wethead". A few nights a week after I closed at midnight (it was the law for poolrooms on LI,NY back then) I'd pull the shades down in the front window and let 6 to 8 players I could trust stay and watch, play, or smoke the pipe. Anyhow, I played a lot of long head to head sets of 14.1 after hours. About every half hour or so I'd go in the bathroom and splash water on my face and head. Even after I combed my hair the water was still dripping down when I came back to the table.

Others were JT, Johnnyt, Terible Terrell, Dogman (because I owned a few hundred Racing Greyhounds), and Joe Pesci. Johnnyt

JoeyA

Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
I've had several over the years. First one was "Rabbit", because of the way I ran around the table and ready to shoot almost before the QB stopped. Yes I did speed back then.

Another that I had in my own poolroom was "The Wethead". A few nights a week after I closed at midnight (it was the law for poolrooms on LI,NY back then) I'd pull the shades down in the front window and let 6 to 8 players I could trust stay and watch, play, or smoke the pipe. Anyhow, I played a lot of long head to head sets of 14.1 after hours. About every half hour or so I'd go in the bathroom and splash water on my face and head. Even after I combed my hair the water was still dripping down when I came back to the table.

Others were JT, Johnnyt, Terible Terrell, Dogman (because I owned a few hundred Racing Greyhounds), and Joe Pesci. Johnnyt

A'right, a'right, a'right. Come on, tell me how you got da name, Joe Pesci.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
In my many years playing the nickname that brings a chuckle every time I hear it belongs to a forum member here. Diaperman ha .....

I'll let him elaborate if he sees it.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sixpack said:
One time a girl I had been out hustling around with for a few months had me over to her house. She proposed that we play 'strip pool' and I should give her the 5-out in 9b on her bar table. She breaks the first game, I win it and proceed to break and run 6 racks in a row. (take a second to count clothing items here - shoes and socks take four turns) Funny how the games started taking longer as I just couldn't seem to help but leave her a lot of shots :)

Well, eventually I had to take off my shirt. She saw my stomach and well, that's where I got the nickname sixpack. :D

~rc

WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE COINCIDENCE!!

That's how I got my nickname " Beer Belly"!

JoeyA

Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I simply don't believe in nicknames.
I think a person should use their REAL name at all times.

Mr. Doug

Mr. Wiley,
I think you should go and copy and past the "BOB" TRUE story here.... REALLY. It's timely and appropriate. I know you can't type that long but it would bring a lot of smiles to a lot of people. Some haven't heard it and should.
JoeyA