How big of a "pool sin" did I commit???

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
We have a "no safety" rule.
In other words you can't play an obvious safety.

I quit reading after that.

When the rules are such that arguments are guaranteed because of those rules, like someone said, family first.

Jeff Livingston

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local Friday night 8-ball tournament. $10 entry and small $ calcutta.
I'm in the hot seat waiting to face the winner of B side.
It's my cousin who hardly ever plays pool anymore and it's his first time
to play in this tournament. His opponent is Tyrone, a regular in the tourney
and a league player as well. He is the biggest whiner I've ever seen in my
life. Always moaning about something or other. We have a "no safety" rule.
In other words you can't play an obvious safety. Anytime you leave Tyrone
no shot he gripes that you did so on purpose!!!!
Anyway, it gets down to the last 3 for my cousin. I'm sitting right next to the
table, Tyrone is 10 feet away at the corner of the bar. My cousin sinks the
last two and gets straight in on the 8. He's a foot away from the 8 which is
a foot away from the corner pocket. He gets over it to shoot and I holler at
him "call the pocket". My cousin points at the hole and makes the ball.
Tyrone comes over and bows up at me and raises holy hell. He did wait
briefly until my cousin MADE the shot.
I DID feel very guilty. I know better and have never done anything like this
before. But I KNEW that Tyrone was the ONE guy in the tournament who
would have called him on it and told him he lost the game. And I told him so.
It was a heated moment and a lot of trash was talked. Him talking "rules"
and that a "no call" would have been a loss. Me telling him he would be
the only person in the tournament chickenshit enough to call it on someone
on such an obvious shot and he'd be the only one to want to win that way.
But I felt I was still in the wrong to do it and offered to give up my place,
take third, and let the two battle it out for first (although the guy who bought
me in the calcutta didn't like this option). In fact, the guy who bought me was
running the tournament. He knows what a sore loser Tyrone is and said
don't worry about it. My cousin was a new player and didn't know the rules.
But as soon as I made the offer Tyrone unscrewed and said "F..k y'all, give
me third place and I'm never coming back!!!!" And then he stormed out.
I KNOW I was in the wrong....but HOW wrong was I ????
Two good things happened from all this.
#1 You've learned to stay away from pool room idiocy like that.
#2 The other people won't have to deal with Tyrone again.
:shrug:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong but understandable and the whole concept of having to call that shot out loud is just ridiculously wrong and a sad commentary of our time. Back in the Straight Pool (a call shot game) times the finals of a tournament might be played without a single ball called "out loud" by the shooter.(and no objections)

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In my opinion, you shouldn't have said anything...but you already know that. And by you admitting that you felt wrong immediately after saying it, you already knew it wasn't right beforehand. Lesson learned.

That said, two rules need to be added/changed from the ones you now play under. 1.) An obvious shot need not be called, and 2.) Any legal form of safety play should be allowed. It's part of the game and it will put an end to arguments of whether a player was shooting an intentional safety or not.

Get with the TD and discuss my proposed rule changes. Arguing in a bar (where people/players are drinking) can sometimes lead to violence between players. I'd get this fixed ASAP.

Maniac

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you aren't playing real 8ball, I don't see that big of issue, no safes? I legit laughed when I read that. Seems like the pool hall is a better place now without Tyrone.

If it was a real game, I'd think a bit different

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, you shouldn't have said anything...but you already know that. And by you admitting that you felt wrong immediately after saying it, you already knew it wasn't right beforehand. Lesson learned.

That said, two rules need to be added/changed from the ones you now play under. 1.) An obvious shot need not be called, and 2.) Any legal form of safety play should be allowed. It's part of the game and it will put an end to arguments of whether a player was shooting an intentional safety or not.

Get with the TD and discuss my proposed rule changes. Arguing in a bar (where people/players are drinking) can sometimes lead to violence between players. I'd get this fixed ASAP.

Maniac

What he said.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed that you need to talk to the TD and try to get the rules updated a little bit regarding allowing legal safeties. Particularly if there is a $$ calcutta involved, it is just silly and ignorant to be playing by such outdated "no safety allowed" rules.

Any decent player would be able to disguise a safety in a carefully missed shot - yet another potential reason for an argument to ensue. I can only assume the TD (if there even is one) is not much of a player himself, and is certainly not aware of the more updated, sensible 8-ball tournament rules.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd hit good old Tyrone with as many 2 way shots as I could just to get under his skin.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
No sin at all. I would never call my opponent on sinking the 8 without calling an obvious shot. The rule is stupid and being taken out of the spirit of the rule which was intended to not allow players to shit the 8 and claim they meant to play that 3 railer. Rules are less important than a person's character.

lowgear

Registered
Thanks everyone for your comments.
I'm 63 and been around pool halls and gamblers since my bookie uncle ran
a pool room in the the 60's. I KNOW what I did was very wrong and have
never done anything like that before and never will again. My poor cousin
doesn't play pool often anymore and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed
to begin with. He was SO proud of himself for making it as far as he did.
After every match he would come to me beaming a smile. I was just caught
up in the moment and the situation knowing Tyrone was the ONE guy in
the joint who would call him on the shot and it would have crushed him
to get knocked out that way after coming so far.

To clear a few things up. It is not a pool room but a barroom with 4 bar boxes.
The TD per say plays himself and merely collects the money and handles the
payouts and the calcutta. The same 12-20 locals play every week. As far as
rules anyone who has played in very many unfamiliar bars as I have over the
years knows that the "rules" vary greatly from one to the next. And sometimes
a new "rule" is established on the spot. You just have to adapt to get the cash
AND get out of there without a fight.

I've played in this particular tournament for months now and I know the rules
they play by. Found out several of them the hard way. For example, if you
shoot a ball to a pocket that has another ball close by you can carom off the
ball but you have to call it...either clean or off that ball. Just calling the pocket
isn't enough. AND the 8 ball HAS to be made "clean". You cannot carom it
off another ball in any circumstance. Plus on the break say you make two
small balls. The table is still open. I guess this is pretty standard but I've
played in many a barroom where you would have the little ones after the
break in this situation.

As far as the "no safety" rule it was put in play to give the not so talented
players a fighting chance. Of course a wiley player can play a safe shot
without making it obvious, so the rule actually works in favor of the better
players anyway.

I do appreciate all the comments. I've lurked on this site for many years
and never really joined in any discussions and it was nice to see so many
people chime in.

All I know to do now is try and contact Tyrone and admit that I was
most definitely in the wrong and offer a sincere apology.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
...As far as the "no safety" rule it was put in play to give the not so talented
players a fighting chance....

Yet is fails miserably.

Sounds like politics...it's for the children....lol.

Jeff Livingston

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, your description of the 8 ball shot sounded like an 'obvious' pocket..
a straight in. IMO it'd be crappy calling a 'no call' foul there.. but you never know.

But you shouldn't ever interfere in a match like that.. it's his match alone.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, no, you should absolutely not apologize to this guy, regardless of you realizing you were in wrong to get involved, unless you'd just like to be the bigger man to reach out to resolve things between you two to reduce unnecessary stress. Regardless of what you did, he was the one out of line for making a big deal out of your cousin forgetting to call the obvious 8-ball shot, particularly if your cousin was not a regular who had played in this tournament numerous times before to know the rules.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lowgear, here's the rule from BCA league rules. What's interesting is that if a player gets help like "don't forget to call the 8," even unsolicited, from someone "associated" with the player, it is a foul on the player. So if you help your cousin it's a foul on your cousin. If the player doesn't know the person who shouted, then it's not a foul and the person is given a warning.

It's kind of a weird rule really. Say you're at the table thinking about your shot and your friend yells "play a safety." That's a foul on you, the player, even if you were already going to play a safety. It seems like someone could sabotage you easily by just shouting some advice.

1-41

Coaching
1. During your match, it is a foul if you ask for, or intentionally receive, assistance in planning or executing any shot.
2. It is a foul if you receive unsolicited assistance from a spectator associated with you (e.g., spouse/partner, relative, teammate). “Assistance” includes being alerted to an opponent’s foul.
3. If you are not aware of an opponent’s foul, and you are alerted to the foul by unsolicited information from a spectator not associated with you, the foul is not enforceable but you do not incur any additional penalty.
Exception: In scotch doubles or team play, a violation of Rule 1.8, No Practice Allowed During Match, may be called on any member of the opponent’s team by any member of the offended team, regardless of whether they or the offending player are at the table or involved in a game. Other modifications of Rule 1-41 concerning team or doubles play may be made by the Administrative Authority.
4. Any spectator not associated with you who offers any significant unsolicited assistance to you, whether verbal or non-verbal, will be warned against further interruptions or removed from the area.
5. The Administrative Authority of the event may modify this rule for team or doubles play. (AR p. 97)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Our local VNEA league has rules for marking the last pocket, not just calling it, along with "no coaching" rules and several other interesting twists that eventually drove me to give it up.

One of my favorites was calling a safe incorrectly while pocketing the object ball. So if I planned to pocket my ball and said out loud, "Just a shot", it is then a foul if I don't shoot again because I didn't use the, "correct wording." Sometimes the word, "safe", also earns you the standard, "dirty pool" label (among other colorful variations). I generally advise people to just a call a random pocket instead of ever saying, "safe".

I have seen a match come to blows over moving a ball-in-hand cueball with the ferrule of the shaft. Apparently using the shaft itself is fine, but "never" the ferrule.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt...I've been the same way as you, for decades. Instructors are expected to know the "rules", and are often called on to judge a shot or make a ruling, in a league or tournament situation. The basic rules state that obvious shots need not be called. However, they make an exception for the 8-ball, in many cases, requiring a pocket "marker" to assign the intended pocket for the 8-ball. Sometimes things can get out of hand.

Here's a true story:

In Montana the VNEA has been the dominant sanctioned league for decades. In the mid-90's one of my students was playing in the finals of the 8-ball singles division, in Las Vegas at the Riviera, against a Canadian player. All matches used a specific coaster for marking the pocket for the 8. Even if it was a foot from the pocket and straight in, if you forgot to move the marker, you would lose. The rules also stated that nobody could remind the player. I've seen many matches lost because they forgot to mark the pocket. In this story, my student was playing the case game, running out for the championship. He moved the marker, pointed at the pocket and made the winning shot. His opponent called a foul, indicating that the pocket marker coaster was covering the diamond closest to the pocket. The rules specifically said that the marker had to be on the rail, between the diamond and the pocket. As a result, the shot was declared illegal, respotted, and the opponent from Canada shot it in for the win. :mad: My student was furious, but there was nothing that could be done. I was standing right there watching in horror. Talk about a nit rule!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It’s funny to me because I’ve been a “rules monger” for years. I’d play by the letter of the book. It took me longer than it should have to realize that some rules are made to punish someone trying to abuse the game, not punish those playing in good faith that didn’t honor the letter of the book.

I definitely think you shouldn’t have interfered. Tyrone may have called foul but the tournament director should overrule him if he has any real integrity. That’s a sticky situation. But it should be a sticky situation between the TD, Tyrone and your cousin. No additional parties should inject themselves into the outcome unless invited.

But I respect where you where coming from.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Last edited: