Olhausen "death rattle" modification.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Surely Olhausen must know about this issue. Why would they not make the modifications to repair this!:confused:

WestPenn

West Penn Billiards
Surely Olhausen must know about this issue. Why would they not make the modifications to repair this!:confused:

It's not really an issue. It's way overblown on this site. Every table rattles balls out. I play on my Olhausen, and then go to a pool hall and play on a Valley or Gold Crown or Diamond, and they all rattle balls out.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not really an issue. It's way overblown on this site. Every table rattles balls out. I play on my Olhausen, and then go to a pool hall and play on a Valley or Gold Crown or Diamond, and they all rattle balls out.

Not at the rate Olhausens do. The corner pocket angels are too wide from the factory causing balls down the rail to rattle more frequently than other tables. It's not an opinion but a fact.

MartyG00

Registered
It wouldn't hurt... but the more effective fix is to modify the pocket angles.

The accufast cushions are soft, so removing the cheap 1/8" factory facing and using the 3/16" neoprene will help it play better, but then you'll also be tightening the pocket opening by 1/8" which will still make it play more difficult.

Thanks for the Reply Jack!

The pockets are huge now so I really don't have an issue tightening them up. The table plays ok for what it is but I am getting a little more serious about the game and a different table is just not in the cards right now.

Thanks again!

Marty

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Jack/Glenn, I have an Olhausen Sheraton Oak Table with the Accufast Cushions that I am going to have recovered in the near future. Do you think just using the facings without removing or replacing the cushions would help any?

Marty

As Jack mentioned, replacing the facings will tighten the pockets by 1/8"...but, it'll also cut down on about 90% of the pocket rattle, so tighter pockets...less ball rattle= better overall playability:D

MartyG00

Registered
As Jack mentioned, replacing the facings will tighten the pockets by 1/8"...but, it'll also cut down on about 90% of the pocket rattle, so tighter pockets...less ball rattle= better overall playability:D

Thanks for the insight Glen. Like I said in my reply to Jack I'm not in the position to purchase a different table at this time but I think this simple mod and upgrading to Simonis cloth will fit my needs pretty well. The pockets are huge and the tighter pockets shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again Jack and Glen for sharing this little secret :smile:

Marty

Last edited:
The spec's on the Olhausen pro that are now on the guys table are spec's for a diamond table....not and Olhausen table.
The 15 down angle is used on diamond table because of the deep shelf of the slates.
When tables have shallow slate shelf.....there's on need to use more than 13 degree down angles.
The right spec's should be used on the table that's called for......not just the spec's that make the balls go in easier down the rails.
Stretching cushions is wrong.....if the cushions were ment to be stretched....the manufacture of the cushion would cut the cushions smaller and save money.
When the balls pound on those cushions for awhile....for sure the cushions are going to spring back.....no matter what glue you used.....with the angles on the that table....should take a basketball down the rails...even if the ball hits the 3rd diamond on the way.
All tables need ball rattle to some degree.....with out it...no one would ever miss.

I would say check back in a few months on this job....and see if the tables playing to easy...and that the cushions have not moved.

Mark Gregory

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I do not think the "death rattle" on Olhausens is overblown at all. A pool hall near us has the professional Olhausen 9' tables and I thought they just played awful. I was looking at an Olhausen and after playing on those 9 footers I knew there was no way I was going to buy one. Luckily I found my Gold Crown the very next day, for a third of the price of the used Olhausen furniture table.:grin:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The spec's on the Olhausen pro that are now on the guys table are spec's for a diamond table....not and Olhausen table.
The 15 down angle is used on diamond table because of the deep shelf of the slates.
When tables have shallow slate shelf.....there's on need to use more than 13 degree down angles.
The right spec's should be used on the table that's called for......not just the spec's that make the balls go in easier down the rails.
Stretching cushions is wrong.....if the cushions were ment to be stretched....the manufacture of the cushion would cut the cushions smaller and save money.
When the balls pound on those cushions for awhile....for sure the cushions are going to spring back.....no matter what glue you used.....with the angles on the that table....should take a basketball down the rails...even if the ball hits the 3rd diamond on the way.
All tables need ball rattle to some degree.....with out it...no one would ever miss.

I would say check back in a few months on this job....and see if the tables playing to easy...and that the cushions have not moved.

Mark Gregory

Don't Olhausen's have deep shelves?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, the customer is super happy with the improvement in how the table plays. The mechanic who did the work is also happy.

Mark and Glen are saying this was a bad thing to do, because of the stretching of the cushions. I guess at this point all that remains to see is if in a year the cushions are still good. If they are, then this could be a very viable solution. If the cushion stretching turns out to be problematic down the line, then it's not that good of a solution after all.

I'm putting my cash on it will still play great in a year:)

So, the customer is super happy with the improvement in how the table plays. The mechanic who did the work is also happy.

Mark and Glen are saying this was a bad thing to do, because of the stretching of the cushions. I guess at this point all that remains to see is if in a year the cushions are still good. If they are, then this could be a very viable solution. If the cushion stretching turns out to be problematic down the line, then it's not that good of a solution after all.

I'm putting my cash on it will still play great in a year:)

Trust me I'm not a knocker.....and I only state facts from my mistakes.
But here's the window for your bet on the cushions staying in place.

Mark Gregory

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Trust me I'm not a knocker.....and I only state facts from my mistakes.
But here's the window for your bet on the cushions staying in place.

Mark Gregory

:rolleyes:

Mark,
So what you're saying is, you've done this exact modification and the cushions came loose??? Just wanted to be clear since you only state facts from your mistakes :thumbup:

You got all the action you want on the cushions coming loose. They were only lightly stretched to get them past the edge of the subrail. Not going to be a significant amount of tension to cause them to come loose.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've made the same mistake in the past, though not with the Accufast cushions, as I'd never use them. What happens is that the stretch is still there on the cushions, only it's glued in place, but my experience is that over time that stretch is allways pulling against the glue holding the cushions in place. In time, I've found that the cushions have won the stretch war against the glue and end up cupping the facings in the pockets, but that was with cushions not nearly as soft as the Accufast cushions, so...I don't know for sure, but I'm not placing any bets at this time:D

:rolleyes:

Mark,
So what you're saying is, you've done this exact modification and the cushions came loose??? Just wanted to be clear since you only state facts from your mistakes :thumbup:

You got all the action you want on the cushions coming loose. They were only lightly stretched to get them past the edge of the subrail. Not going to be a significant amount of tension to cause them to come loose.

First Jack....I'm not busting your balls on a public forum....as you private messaged me.
I never said that's what the customer wanted or didn't want.....I told you that I've made the mistake stretching the same cushion....yes acc-u-fast cushions....what you don't understand is....just how much damage to wood sub rails and cushions balls cause....getting hammered into the rails and pockets everyday.
Now your telling me.... I can bet you whatever..... that your cushions won't break loose.
I can't guarantee they will or won't....but when I tell you I made the mistake and that they broke loose over time....with fast bond ten.....I lie to put your work down.
Jack....I won't lose work cause your trying to fix rails....I don't put cushions on anymore...or correct angles......I do complete rail calibrations....meaning calibrating the rail to the sub rail...and calibrating the sub rail to the cushions.

Why I even posted...I have only one reason...not to put you or your work down.....it's to help the 400 other readers to understand what your doing is not the fix for Olhausen tables.
The specs glen gave you the 141 and 15.....are the only specs you guys know to change rails to.....and there's a lot more than just changing the rail to a 141 and 15

All tables are different....the cushions are the problem on certain tables.
I'm not going to go into what needs to be done on tables.....ask Glen for help.
I understand you do this for extra cash...and not a full time job.
But...don't bark at me......cause I do this for a living....and after 25 years and thousands of dollars of tools....and I mean thousands....not a portable table saw and circular saw with a 20" guide to make my cuts.
You want everyone to blow smoke up your ass....for some cushion work....that's not right...as do a few other guys doing rail work on here that only know 141 and 15
Your misleading people on here that don't know what's right and what's wrong on rail specs....and they shouldn't....that's our job....that's why it's called talk to a mechanic.
Before posting fixes.....maybe you should make sure the job your doing is right.
I've been studying rails and making mistakes on rails for 15 years.....do I have all the answers....not even close....but I'm getting closer everyday.
Do my rails play good....yes very good....do I change rail specs....of course....but the cushions determines the changes I make.

You really don't want a bet with me.....playing or fixing rails or will cushions break loose.
To make that offer shows....just how much you really know about cushions...and rails.

Mark Gregory

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Mark,
Thanks again for your insight and expertise. The mechanic's forum is a better place because of you, sir! :hug:

JC

Coos Cues
Lol...not only are you learning from Glen about pool tables.....your even picking up his EGO.:thumbup:

Mark Gregory

When is enough going to be enough already? Why don't you just fix pool tables better than anyone else in the world and let that be enough? Let your body of work out there be your reputation and do it's own boasting.

Frankly if someone continually has to tell the world how good they are I start to wonder.

JC

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets put the amount of stretch into perspective.

The cushion measures about 48" on a 9' table, on the long side of its miter. How much did the OP stretch it in order to recut the miters? Maybe 1/4" per end? (my estimation). So that's 1/2" of stretch evenly distributed over a 48" length. (Assuming the OP glued it in the center of the rail first, and then evenly stretched it along its length in both directions)

1/2" divided by 48" * 100 = 1.0% of stretch.

So the rubber band analogy, if you cut a new rubber band in half so its in a straight line, and lets say it measures 10" long in its relaxed state, and you pull on it until it measures 10.1" long, well, that is what is happening to the cushion on the table.