Zen and Pool

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice Zen, I find that it enhances the quality of my life.
It also helps my pool game, If I go to the table with a clear mind, no thought and no attachment to outcome and just let the shots happen I tend to have higher runs and pocket more balls.
Concentration and awareness are increased without all the useless chatter in my head! Both of these aspects of consciousness do not require thought.

Of course you have to have good mechanics, a good sense of aim and some muscle memory to begin with.
I just wonder how many shots are missed because of distracting thoughts especially of the negative variety. It has been said by top athletes that they play better when they just let it happen.

There is a Zen saying: When good happens good, when bad happens good! Which just means accept what is. I try to remember that when I miss!

I invite people to give this a try and give me your thoughts.

Steve

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking of implenting this into my game. Do you have any books on zen you could recommend?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I believe. I am a 3rd degree Reiki practitioner and like yourself use it to focus
while at the table.
I also practice Zen and the Art of Throwing Pool Cues, as well.
Just teasin ya on the last part.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something that I've been wholly giving myself to as well--just being able to transcend past the "competition" part, and allowing excellence to happen. I believe that focus can be commanded with practice. Good results, though dedication, is evitable...I hope.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Zen teaching of Huang Po
On the transmission of mind.
Translated by John Blofeld

I also just finished a book called Zen and the Brain
The author is a Doctor specializing on the brain, Fascinating read even if you don't care about Zen.

Steve

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's all well and good as far as nothing in your life gives you any problems. since you bought a brand new diamond table i'm guessing you unlike a lot of people i know don't sweat money problems.

there's always women problems and car trouble to distract you. life's too complicated to ignore everything when you play (maybe it's just my life)

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
. life's too complicated to ignore everything when you play (maybe it's just my life)

I think the escape is why I like pool so much. For the most part when I play pool I dont even think about anything else. Course when I get home it all comes back, but its fun while it lasts LOL.

Woody

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I've read Max Eberle's book and enjoyed it. I'd also like to read more on the topic. Relaxation and concentration techiniques is something that I've been thinking about a lot lately, perhaps because I have a stressful job, and home life. (not whining or anything, and I know we all have our stresses)

I have a table in my basement, and have taken to think of it, and pool in general, as a form of therapy or meditation. Whenever I'm feeling anxious I go down and shoot some balls and it really clears my mind and helps me relax.

Not to hijack the thread--but does anyone else think of pool as almost a form of therapy?

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zen Pool

I have been thinking of implenting this into my game. Do you have any books on zen you could recommend?

Max Eberle- Zen Pool

I am interested in some application of martial arts technique. On a superficial level I do find it helpful to focus my Chi energy.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Of course, the next time you go to the dentist, you could opt for no pain killers. The Dr. would ask you why, then you could tell him, because you want to " transcend dental medication".

Berlow, if you want a quick result in learning how to focus your Chi energy, may I suggest, Quantum Touch, The Power To Heal, by Richard Gordon. Its a good read and if you practice the breathing techniques therin, you'll be able to run energy in no time at all. I use Quantum Touch to ramp up the Reiki. Learning to run energy isn't magic and requires no special gift. We are born with that ability, you just have to learn how to bring it around. Within a couple or three days of breathing, you'll say a big WOW, I can do it.

Last edited:

enlightphoto

Like Zen; until I miss...
Silver Member
I know just of what you speak - as you'll note from the saying below my user name. Being in a state of zen, or to approach something with a zen like attitude is akin to putting yourself in a zone.

I've found this to be similar to the favorite sports book from my youth, Inside Tennis; and took the same approach to Inside skiing. It's a letting go, an allowance, placing a trust if you will, in your own body and mind that they both know what to do - and they don't need "you" to do it. There is no think, you simply do. It's like running across large stones rocks along the bank of a river. Your body just knows where to step, how to balance, and to it faster than you ever could if you had to spend time thinking about it.

With tennis or skiing, you first have to learn to hit or learn to turn. Once you've trained yourself well, your body and mind can enter that thoughtless zone where you just do. The same for pool - to see the shot, to know the feel and the stroke. The biggest difference between these are that tennis and skiing are gross eye - body motor skills, whereas pool is very fine, subtle, and delicate in the body motor skill nuances that must be learned and mastered. That quiet, trusting zone where there is no doubting voice, no over-thinking, just seems much more difficult to achieve and maintain on a consistent basis. This is why we practice, to find that zone, to allow our mind and body to work together without all of that other interference that we bring to the table.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to the response about all being well and good as long as life gives you no problems;
Life will always be problematic no mater what your financial situation, some that are very well off financially are more tormented then others due to addictions to greed, fame or power. Not that having things is bad as long as your happiness and identity are not dependent on it. There are a lot of enlightened people living on park benches as there is a lot of insanity in Beverly Hills.

As an example to not being content I was at a customers house the other day, she is very wealth and likes to be known in social circles. She wanted to show me her new TV she pushed a button on a remote and a large TV dropped out of the ceiling! I told her that was very nice! Her next comment was Yea but someone she knows just got one that was 100" So already she can not be happy because someone else has more!

Steve

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
I practice Zen, I find that it enhances the quality of my life.
It also helps my pool game, If I go to the table with a clear mind, no thought and no attachment to outcome and just let the shots happen I tend to have higher runs and pocket more balls.
Concentration and awareness are increased without all the useless chatter in my head! Both of these aspects of consciousness do not require thought.

Of course you have to have good mechanics, a good sense of aim and some muscle memory to begin with.
I just wonder how many shots are missed because of distracting thoughts especially of the negative variety. It has been said by top athletes that they play better when they just let it happen.

There is a Zen saying: When good happens good, when bad happens good! Which just means accept what is. I try to remember that when I miss!

I invite people to give this a try and give me your thoughts.

Steve

Very important concept. See my thread: Mind/Body Pool.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
So already she can not be happy because someone else has more!
See, thats part of the problem. Be grateful for all that you have, instead of being unhappy for what you don't.
Start thinking like that and instantly, you'll have more. Don't, and you can't move forward.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
the thing that tends to happen to me when I forget problems, etc. while shooting is that I quit taking the win as seriously as the shot. That is, I lose some of my fire for winning and that fire comes in real handy sometimes.

Can one be at peace and still have the killer aspects?

Jeff Livingston

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The essence of Zen

Stay in the moment. Get out of your head. There is only the present.
STAY IN YOUR EXPERIENCE! Once again, get out of your head. All that thinking about what could have been and what might be only clutters your mind.

You live (and play) only in the moment, not in the past or the future.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I couldn't have said it better!

Jeff, I'm not talking about a zombie state its just getting rid of all the unnecessary thinking. It is said that 90% of all thought is repetitive. Like I said awareness and a sense of good can be heightened. Set goals and have high aspirations just don't allow frustration to set in when things don't go as expected. I try to just let the game flow, I get a intuition for shape and patterns with out having to over think it. I notice when I'm doing good and when I miss I accept it, note it and let it go!

And I like to win too!

Peace