Zen and Pool

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jay, I couldn't have said it better!

Jeff, I'm not talking about a zombie state its just getting rid of all the unnecessary thinking. It is said that 90% of all thought is repetitive. Like I said awareness and a sense of good can be heightened. Set goals and have high aspirations just don't allow frustration to set in when things don't go as expected. I try to just let the game flow, I get a intuition for shape and patterns with out having to over think it. I notice when I'm doing good and when I miss I accept it, note it and let it go!

And I like to win too!

Peace

Thanks for the good response...The reason I asked is earlier on NPR I was talking about how I was playing better but winning less and I was thinking it was because I was too into the moment, if that makes sense, and thus lost the bigger picture of just winning the damn game!

In my pool shot recipe, my motivation is ingredient number 1, but it seems like I'm neglecting that lately. I thought maybe you Zen guys might have a technique or thought about losing that part of the moment and how to recapture it.

Jeff Livingston

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gordon's book

Of course, the next time you go to the dentist, you could opt for no pain killers. The Dr. would ask you why, then you could tell him, because you want to " transcend dental medication".

Berlow, if you want a quick result in learning how to focus your Chi energy, may I suggest, Quantum Touch, The Power To Heal, by Richard Gordon. Its a good read and if you practice the breathing techniques therin, you'll be able to run energy in no time at all. I use Quantum Touch to ramp up the Reiki. Learning to run energy isn't magic and requires no special gift. We are born with that ability, you just have to learn how to bring it around. Within a couple or three days of breathing, you'll say a big WOW, I can do it.

Thank you. I just ordered it.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
that's all well and good as far as nothing in your life gives you any problems. since you bought a brand new diamond table i'm guessing you unlike a lot of people i know don't sweat money problems.

there's always women problems and car trouble to distract you. life's too complicated to ignore everything when you play (maybe it's just my life)

It's not just your life man. It's how you manage your thoughts. As a recovering alcoholic I had to learn how to manage my thoughts so I wouldn't start to think that another drink would be the answer to the craziness that my head would dump on me. Learning some thought control methods has been extremely useful in helping me stay away from booze and surprised me by drastically improving my level of happiness and lack of worry. I had to learn or probably die soon.

There are methods you can learn to help you control where your brain goes... manage your thoughts so you get what you want, like peace, or love, or FOCUS, so you can play better pool.

It's just like learning methods of aiming better, or methods of approaching the table so your body will be better lined up to the shot, or methods of bridgeing, or methods of stroking.

Zen is one method of learning to improve your control of your thoughts. Nobody ever teaches us how to control our own brain or thoughts but it's vital to being happy. There are also many other systems which are very useful for a person wanting to improve the quality of their experience on this planet.

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Empty Table

Here's the prologue to a book I'm working on. It's shortened to meet length requirements, and there are formatting problems,but you get the idea.

The Empty Table

“Cody arrived on the scene bearing his original and sepulchral mind… a permanent and musing figure before the green velvet of table number one where the intricate and almost metaphysical click and play of the billiard balls became …the unutterable realization of the great interior joyful knowledge of the world… ” (Jack Kerouac, Visions of Cody)

It’s an interesting proposition—billiards as a method of contemplative absorption leading to universal awareness. Kerouac’s Cody seems to be mostly a spectator, engaged in what the medieval mystics called via contempliva or via passiva—not that meditation can ever be entirely passive. But surely the via activa is what a game like billiards is all about, the way of the player, the way of the Zen archer, the calligrapher, the martial artist. The Zen arts have been cultivated for centuries as spiritual practice. For many Americans and Europeans appreciation of these arts began with Eugen Herrigel’s account of his experience in his now classic Zen in the Art of Archery and has spilled over into sports psychology in books such as Timothy Galwey’s The Inner Game of Tennis and The Inner Game of Golf and Michael Murphy’s Golf in the Kingdom and In the Zone, the latter of which contains numerous testimonials to the potential sports provide for integrative experience, becoming one with an activity, the merging of doer and done. Phil Jackson has adapted some principles of Zen philosophy in coaching basketball, with notable success. But has anyone ever proposed that golf, tennis, or basketball be pursued as a serious, systematic meditation practice. What would that be like? What would it be like if billiards were a Zen art?
What we would need first is a dojo, a training hall, rather than a pool hall. Perhaps it has already appeared. One table in a room large enough to provide ten feet of carpeted space all around it and a little more at the far end, the room itself softly lit, the surface of the table evenly and intensely illuminated. On the floor at the deeper end of the room is a temple bell, bowl-shaped, struck to signal the beginning and end of each training session. Above the bell hangs a scroll with the Chinese characters for “Try, try, try for 10,000 years.” A small wooden table and two chairs are along one side wall, next to a rack for storing cue sticks and balls. Bow to the table when you enter. It is the universe in its purity—finite, classical, elegant, empty.
My first glimpse of a room such as this was a small billiards parlor in Seoul, a few blocks away from Hwa Gye Sah, a Buddhist temple in which I spent some time in 1993. Sleepless and restless from jet lag my first night in Korea, I wandered the streets and into the room, more out of curiosity than a desire to play. The room contained only two tables, both empty, and a scroll hanging on one of the walls. It was the proprietor, a small ageless man with a sweet smile, who bowed, offering me as he did so a set of three billiard balls he had been polishing when I entered. By way of gesture he invited me to play a game of three-cushion billiards with him, and it was soon apparent he was no ordinary player. In three-cushion billiards the cue ball typically strikes one of the two other balls, then contacts three or more rails, and then the third ball to score. Before each shot he would half close his eyes and trace out the long, projected course of the cueball in the air with a finger, the way a calligrapher sometimes will trace out the strokes of Chinese characters before picking up his brush. I thought at first this was for my edification and that he was showing me in advance how the shot would go, but after a while I thought that it might be a regular part of his shot routine, a way of getting the shot into his body and mind before he even bent over the table. Whatever his purpose was, I liked watching his finger move through the air, and I liked his actual play even more, the way he moved into a shot, his footwork, his fluid, precise stroke taken without any warm-up strokes, the effortless control of the cue ball, the quiet attention he gave to chalking the tip of his cue. We played for about an hour, and he seemed to enjoy watching me play as much he enjoyed playing himself, although my performance was nothing special at all and I missed far more shots than I made. Occasionally he would trace out a shot for me when I was stymied by the position of the balls. Outside, the stars were wheeling on, and before too long it would be time for early morning practice at the temple. We bowed to each other as I took my leave.
The following afternoon I returned to the billiards room with an interpreter, a Korean-American monk named Un Wol from the monastery where I was staying. I had told him about my experience the night before, and he said that he had heard about a billiards player who had once been a Buddhist monk and had gained some renown both as a player and teacher of the game. He was curious and wanted to meet the old man I had played, and I wanted to see him again myself and ask him some questions about his approach to the game and how I might improve my own. We walked down the hill from the temple and entered the room. Un Wol introduced himself to the proprietor and asked, after the two had exchanged what I took to be some pleasantries, if he would entertain a few questions from me. The old man smiled, nodded, and motioned for us to sit down. There were two players at one of the tables engaged in a game of four-ball billiards, the most common form the game in Korea, and the quiet roll and click of the balls drifted through the room. I asked my first question and Un Wol interpreted:
“You saw me play last night. I was tired, but still, I missed many shots I shouldn’t miss. Why do I miss shots that are well within my ability to make?” The old man looked at me as he spoke and continued to hold my eye while the monk translated:
“You miss because your mind moves.”
“What do you mean, my mind moves?”
“You do not hold the shot steadily in your mind. Sometimes doubt creeps in. Do I have the right line, is this the right speed, am I putting enough spin on the ball? That is your mind moving. All these questions must be settled completely before you take the stick back, even before you approach the table. Also, sometimes you think, Oh if I make this shot I will look really good, or, If I miss this shot I will look really bad. That also is your mind moving.”
“How can I stop my mind from moving?”
“First your body must be still. If your body is still then your mind can be still. You must be like a mountain when you shoot, never moving. Place your feet very carefully, like a great hawk settling on a branch. Then place your hand very carefully on the table behind the cue ball, and grip the cloth with the pads of your fingers. Keep your head completely still. Your eyes take in the whole shot, the paths of both balls and where the tip hits the cue ball. Only your forearm moves, from the elbow down, a short distance back, a short distance forward.”
“I noticed last night that you don’t take any warm-up strokes.” The interpreter couldn’t translate “warm-up strokes,” and I had to demonstrate. The old man used the English phrase in his response:
“Warm-up strokes? They are not necessary, not good, not bad. Only hold the tip of the cue stick steadily on the exact spot of the cue ball that you must hit. Then bring the stick back, pause, and bring it forward. When it has gone through the cue ball, hold it still again. Three points of stillness. One shot.”
“You talked before about holding the shot steadily in my mind. How can I practice that?”
“The best way to practice that is to close your eyes when you shoot.”
“Close my eyes?”
“Of course. Come to the table.” He handed me a cue stick, set up a shot, the opening shot in the game of three-cushion billiards, and invited me to shoot it. The red ball was on the foot spot at the far end of the table, the yellow ball was on the head spot, and the white cue ball was seven inches to the right of the yellow ball. It was a shot I had played hundreds of times and made less than half the time, a perfect example of a familiar shot well within my ability to make but one that in fact I missed more often than I made. I got down for the shot and placed my cue tip at about two o’clock on the cue ball to give it the spin that would bring it around the table after it hit the red ball and hopefully into the yellow ball to score. As I addressed the cue ball, he said to me.
“You already see the shot, and the tip of cue stick is where it should be on the cue ball. Now close your eyes, and as you shoot keep your mind and body completely still. And listen.”
Eyes closed, I took the stick back, paused, and brought it forward. When I felt and heard the leather tip contact the cue ball, I became aware that the entire shot is determined by that momentary touch, but still I followed through and held the stick on line until I heard the cueball contact the red ball. Standing up, I kept my eyes closed and listened. I could hear the cueball rolling, hear it bounce off the first and second cushions in the far left corner. The sound off the third rail was fainter, but I could still hear it and hear the roll of the cue ball over the cloth-covered, heavy slate on its way toward the yellow ball. I opened my eyes. The old man was smiling at me. He nodded his head as the cue ball kissed the white ball, scoring the point.
I realized—how could I have not?—that I had just had a lesson from a master and I wanted it to continue, or at least to thank him, but the old man had already turned his attention to the two players at the other table. Un Wol signaled to me that we should leave, and we walked out into the late afternoon light.
I never saw the old man again. The remainder of my stay in Seoul was highly structured—I was there to participate in a Zen retreat and several ceremonies—and there was no time left for a return visit, nor have I returned to Korea since then. Un Wol told me as we walked back to the temple that this was indeed the former monk turned billiards master of whom he had heard. His name was Mu Dang, and he had put aside his monk’s robes about five years ago and let his hair grow. As a young man, before he entered the monastery and took precepts, he had been an accomplished billiards player and had won several championships. He had also practiced a Taoist form of meditation that he had begun to integrate into his billiards game. At some point in his training he undertook a long solo meditation retreat in the mountains, and when he emerged from this retreat he abruptly decided to become a Buddhist monk in the Korean Chogye order. After thirty years as a monk, during which time he never picked up a cue stick, he left the order just as abruptly as he had entered it and began to play billiards again. He had only recently taken up residence in the small room in Seoul and begun to teach there. It was a fascinating story, and one that I wanted to follow up, but the usual business of life soon crowded it out of my mind, nor was billiards at that time important enough to me to make the effort that would have been required to learn more about the old master.

Three years later I received a letter from Un Wol asking me if I would be interested in a document he had come in possession of, a transcript of a series of talks Mu Dang had given at a very unusual retreat he had conducted. Un Wol described the retreat as a Zen billiards retreat, a six day session following the same schedule as a regular meditation retreat but with a structured series of exercises at the billiards table taking the place of the seated meditation that occupy eight hours of each regular Zen retreat day. Mu Dang had given a talk each of the six days, and had answered questions from participants at the end of each talk. These talks and question-answer sessions had been recorded and transcribed, and Un Wol was willing to make a rough and ready translation of these transcripts into English if I were interested....

© 2008 Stanley Lombardo

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the prologue to a book I'm working on. It's shortened to meet length requirements, and there are formatting problems,but you get the idea.

The Empty Table

“Cody arrived on the scene bearing his original and sepulchral mind… a permanent and musing figure before the green velvet of table number one where the intricate and almost metaphysical click and play of the billiard balls became …the unutterable realization of the great interior joyful knowledge of the world… ” (Jack Kerouac, Visions of Cody)

It’s an interesting proposition—billiards as a method of contemplative absorption leading to universal awareness. Kerouac’s Cody seems to be mostly a spectator, engaged in what the medieval mystics called via contempliva or via passiva—not that meditation can ever be entirely passive. But surely the via activa is what a game like billiards is all about, the way of the player, the way of the Zen archer, the calligrapher, the martial artist. The Zen arts have been cultivated for centuries as spiritual practice. For many Americans and Europeans appreciation of these arts began with Eugen Herrigel’s account of his experience in his now classic Zen in the Art of Archery and has spilled over into sports psychology in books such as Timothy Galwey’s The Inner Game of Tennis and The Inner Game of Golf and Michael Murphy’s Golf in the Kingdom and In the Zone, the latter of which contains numerous testimonials to the potential sports provide for integrative experience, becoming one with an activity, the merging of doer and done. Phil Jackson has adapted some principles of Zen philosophy in coaching basketball, with notable success. But has anyone ever proposed that golf, tennis, or basketball be pursued as a serious, systematic meditation practice. What would that be like? What would it be like if billiards were a Zen art?
What we would need first is a dojo, a training hall, rather than a pool hall. Perhaps it has already appeared. One table in a room large enough to provide ten feet of carpeted space all around it and a little more at the far end, the room itself softly lit, the surface of the table evenly and intensely illuminated. On the floor at the deeper end of the room is a temple bell, bowl-shaped, struck to signal the beginning and end of each training session. Above the bell hangs a scroll with the Chinese characters for “Try, try, try for 10,000 years.” A small wooden table and two chairs are along one side wall, next to a rack for storing cue sticks and balls. Bow to the table when you enter. It is the universe in its purity—finite, classical, elegant, empty.
My first glimpse of a room such as this was a small billiards parlor in Seoul, a few blocks away from Hwa Gye Sah, a Buddhist temple in which I spent some time in 1993. Sleepless and restless from jet lag my first night in Korea, I wandered the streets and into the room, more out of curiosity than a desire to play. The room contained only two tables, both empty, and a scroll hanging on one of the walls. It was the proprietor, a small ageless man with a sweet smile, who bowed, offering me as he did so a set of three billiard balls he had been polishing when I entered. By way of gesture he invited me to play a game of three-cushion billiards with him, and it was soon apparent he was no ordinary player. In three-cushion billiards the cue ball typically strikes one of the two other balls, then contacts three or more rails, and then the third ball to score. Before each shot he would half close his eyes and trace out the long, projected course of the cueball in the air with a finger, the way a calligrapher sometimes will trace out the strokes of Chinese characters before picking up his brush. I thought at first this was for my edification and that he was showing me in advance how the shot would go, but after a while I thought that it might be a regular part of his shot routine, a way of getting the shot into his body and mind before he even bent over the table. Whatever his purpose was, I liked watching his finger move through the air, and I liked his actual play even more, the way he moved into a shot, his footwork, his fluid, precise stroke taken without any warm-up strokes, the effortless control of the cue ball, the quiet attention he gave to chalking the tip of his cue. We played for about an hour, and he seemed to enjoy watching me play as much he enjoyed playing himself, although my performance was nothing special at all and I missed far more shots than I made. Occasionally he would trace out a shot for me when I was stymied by the position of the balls. Outside, the stars were wheeling on, and before too long it would be time for early morning practice at the temple. We bowed to each other as I took my leave.
The following afternoon I returned to the billiards room with an interpreter, a Korean-American monk named Un Wol from the monastery where I was staying. I had told him about my experience the night before, and he said that he had heard about a billiards player who had once been a Buddhist monk and had gained some renown both as a player and teacher of the game. He was curious and wanted to meet the old man I had played, and I wanted to see him again myself and ask him some questions about his approach to the game and how I might improve my own. We walked down the hill from the temple and entered the room. Un Wol introduced himself to the proprietor and asked, after the two had exchanged what I took to be some pleasantries, if he would entertain a few questions from me. The old man smiled, nodded, and motioned for us to sit down. There were two players at one of the tables engaged in a game of four-ball billiards, the most common form the game in Korea, and the quiet roll and click of the balls drifted through the room. I asked my first question and Un Wol interpreted:
“You saw me play last night. I was tired, but still, I missed many shots I shouldn’t miss. Why do I miss shots that are well within my ability to make?” The old man looked at me as he spoke and continued to hold my eye while the monk translated:
“You miss because your mind moves.”
“What do you mean, my mind moves?”
“You do not hold the shot steadily in your mind. Sometimes doubt creeps in. Do I have the right line, is this the right speed, am I putting enough spin on the ball? That is your mind moving. All these questions must be settled completely before you take the stick back, even before you approach the table. Also, sometimes you think, Oh if I make this shot I will look really good, or, If I miss this shot I will look really bad. That also is your mind moving.”
“How can I stop my mind from moving?”
“First your body must be still. If your body is still then your mind can be still. You must be like a mountain when you shoot, never moving. Place your feet very carefully, like a great hawk settling on a branch. Then place your hand very carefully on the table behind the cue ball, and grip the cloth with the pads of your fingers. Keep your head completely still. Your eyes take in the whole shot, the paths of both balls and where the tip hits the cue ball. Only your forearm moves, from the elbow down, a short distance back, a short distance forward.”
“I noticed last night that you don’t take any warm-up strokes.” The interpreter couldn’t translate “warm-up strokes,” and I had to demonstrate. The old man used the English phrase in his response:
“Warm-up strokes? They are not necessary, not good, not bad. Only hold the tip of the cue stick steadily on the exact spot of the cue ball that you must hit. Then bring the stick back, pause, and bring it forward. When it has gone through the cue ball, hold it still again. Three points of stillness. One shot.”
“You talked before about holding the shot steadily in my mind. How can I practice that?”
“The best way to practice that is to close your eyes when you shoot.”
“Close my eyes?”
“Of course. Come to the table.” He handed me a cue stick, set up a shot, the opening shot in the game of three-cushion billiards, and invited me to shoot it. The red ball was on the foot spot at the far end of the table, the yellow ball was on the head spot, and the white cue ball was seven inches to the right of the yellow ball. It was a shot I had played hundreds of times and made less than half the time, a perfect example of a familiar shot well within my ability to make but one that in fact I missed more often than I made. I got down for the shot and placed my cue tip at about two o’clock on the cue ball to give it the spin that would bring it around the table after it hit the red ball and hopefully into the yellow ball to score. As I addressed the cue ball, he said to me.
“You already see the shot, and the tip of cue stick is where it should be on the cue ball. Now close your eyes, and as you shoot keep your mind and body completely still. And listen.”
Eyes closed, I took the stick back, paused, and brought it forward. When I felt and heard the leather tip contact the cue ball, I became aware that the entire shot is determined by that momentary touch, but still I followed through and held the stick on line until I heard the cueball contact the red ball. Standing up, I kept my eyes closed and listened. I could hear the cueball rolling, hear it bounce off the first and second cushions in the far left corner. The sound off the third rail was fainter, but I could still hear it and hear the roll of the cue ball over the cloth-covered, heavy slate on its way toward the yellow ball. I opened my eyes. The old man was smiling at me. He nodded his head as the cue ball kissed the white ball, scoring the point.
I realized—how could I have not?—that I had just had a lesson from a master and I wanted it to continue, or at least to thank him, but the old man had already turned his attention to the two players at the other table. Un Wol signaled to me that we should leave, and we walked out into the late afternoon light.
I never saw the old man again. The remainder of my stay in Seoul was highly structured—I was there to participate in a Zen retreat and several ceremonies—and there was no time left for a return visit, nor have I returned to Korea since then. Un Wol told me as we walked back to the temple that this was indeed the former monk turned billiards master of whom he had heard. His name was Mu Dang, and he had put aside his monk’s robes about five years ago and let his hair grow. As a young man, before he entered the monastery and took precepts, he had been an accomplished billiards player and had won several championships. He had also practiced a Taoist form of meditation that he had begun to integrate into his billiards game. At some point in his training he undertook a long solo meditation retreat in the mountains, and when he emerged from this retreat he abruptly decided to become a Buddhist monk in the Korean Chogye order. After thirty years as a monk, during which time he never picked up a cue stick, he left the order just as abruptly as he had entered it and began to play billiards again. He had only recently taken up residence in the small room in Seoul and begun to teach there. It was a fascinating story, and one that I wanted to follow up, but the usual business of life soon crowded it out of my mind, nor was billiards at that time important enough to me to make the effort that would have been required to learn more about the old master.

Three years later I received a letter from Un Wol asking me if I would be interested in a document he had come in possession of, a transcript of a series of talks Mu Dang had given at a very unusual retreat he had conducted. Un Wol described the retreat as a Zen billiards retreat, a six day session following the same schedule as a regular meditation retreat but with a structured series of exercises at the billiards table taking the place of the seated meditation that occupy eight hours of each regular Zen retreat day. Mu Dang had given a talk each of the six days, and had answered questions from participants at the end of each talk. These talks and question-answer sessions had been recorded and transcribed, and Un Wol was willing to make a rough and ready translation of these transcripts into English if I were interested....

© 2008 Stanley Lombardo

I know this is valuable information, but in that form it's hard to digest (and read). Try breaking it up into separate paragraphs with a space between them. Even in our most enlightened musings we must try to do what works for the audience we are trying to reach. Thanks Stanley. :thumbup:

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
Respectfully, there has always seemed to be a contradiction between searching for balance within yourself versus finding balance between yourself and the outside universe.

One doesn't automatically help with the other.

Holy crap that was deep! :D

WTF?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
contradiction is your error. There is no inside or outside.

Peace

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I couldn't have said it better!

Jeff, I'm not talking about a zombie state its just getting rid of all the unnecessary thinking. It is said that 90% of all thought is repetitive. Like I said awareness and a sense of good can be heightened. Set goals and have high aspirations just don't allow frustration to set in when things don't go as expected. I try to just let the game flow, I get a intuition for shape and patterns with out having to over think it. I notice when I'm doing good and when I miss I accept it, note it and let it go!

And I like to win too!

Peace

Do you do this when you're gambling or just when you're practicing?

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is such a west coast thread! lol

The sun is still up right now out there isn't it?

Talk like this around here you get a perogi up the nostrils with someone's hand around it. :D

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One ball at a time, no thoughts, just stroking for the utter joy that is stroking by itself.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to carry this to all aspects of life.

"T" No I have never posted here before.

Peace

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is such a west coast thread! Lol

the sun is still up right now out there isn't it?

Talk like this around here you get a perogi up the nostrils with someone's hand around it. :d

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :shocked:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Beating distractions will definitely improve your game... part of what you said got me thinking tho:

"[I shoot with] no attachment to outcome"

What would you say to those who feel their best game only comes out of they are playing for money, or really care about the outcome for some other reason (it's a tournament, it's league finals, it's their 100th ball in straight pool)?

Some people feel that the fact that they care so much about the outcome is what makes them focus and play their best pool, and what separates them from 'the bangers'. Not saying it's my perspective, but it's a common one.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say do not need a reason to play your best game.
I think to reach a high level of play you need to be consistent.
Don't strive just be.
If you stay in balance playing to the best of your ability you eliminate striving.
Striving in all cases sets up the causation for suffering!

"Bangers" are content to just be recreational players and may enjoy the game more then someone who has to constantly strive and is easily frustrated.

Don't need to be better than. Just be that you are.
With your mind focused upon you, you can never let go of you.
Holding on to you, you may get what you think you want but you will not find true peace.
Peace can not be found in a mind focused upon itself.

Peace

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Instincts (in pool) are an incredible combination of raw brain power and repetition. If you clutter your mind with thought your raw brain power gets clouded by your relatively stupid conscious mind. Stop thinking and run some racks :)

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beating distractions will definitely improve your game... part of what you said got me thinking tho:

"[I shoot with] no attachment to outcome"

What would you say to those who feel their best game only comes out of they are playing for money, or really care about the outcome for some other reason (it's a tournament, it's league finals, it's their 100th ball in straight pool)?

Some people feel that the fact that they care so much about the outcome is what makes them focus and play their best pool, and what separates them from 'the bangers'. Not saying it's my perspective, but it's a common one.

Buddy Hall once told me that the reason he did so well in tournaments was that he "hates to lose." (This was in 1980 when he was winning tournaments right and left.) It seemed to work for him. How about this - could a player really want to win the game, but when they drop down on a shot, that desire to win the game (or fear of losing the game) is not in their mind as they focus on the shot. I mean, if you are "totally in the moment," you are focused on the shot itself, not the winning or losing of the game (which will occur at some point in the future).

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a misunderstanding about being in the moment and no thought that there is nothing there.
In reality we are pure awareness at our true nature, This really can not be explained in words only experienced.
I will say that without the baggage of the ego awareness is intensified and expanded.
You will be more passionate about the game and naturally want to play to the best of your physical ability. You do not forget the purpose of the game.
Your true nature is creative you have a knowing of where you want the outcome of the game to be. Just don't worry about it!
The ego loves to keep you bound to conceptual thought, its existence is dependent upon it! It has its purpose but often obscures clarity.

Here is a link to a lady who experienced a total loss of ego, please watch the entire video it very enlightening:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...em&ex=1206849600&en=4b4902f36e06966b&ei=5087

Peace