The ghost ball myth

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting view of throw. Thanks for the links. I don't think this means ghost ball aiming is a myth though, just important to be cognizant of throw (and ten million other details).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nic Barrow is showing increasing "impact throw" (collision- or cut-induced throw) as he moves from 3/4-ball hit (or aim) to 1/2-ball hit to 1/4-hit hit to 1/8-ball hit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGsXQ1MvO9Q

Conventional wisdom is that CIT is at a maximum at roughly a half-ball hit.

What is going on here?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
EVERY system requires adjustment. However I'm not talking from experience, only what I feel is common sense. I don't have a defined system. I would guess it is some sort of contact patch, fractional, overlap, track line sort of thing with occasional ghost ball thrown in. I don't question it, just could always pocket balls.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ghost ball is a starting point not a complete system.

After determining the GB position, you make corrections for CIT, SIT, impact speed, deflection, swerve, skid, and arc.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Anyone that teaches the ghost ball aiming, better add that that's not all there is to it. On most cut shots you have to adjust for the same things you do with any aiming system. Ghost ball gets you in the pocket or very close each shot... the adjusting/feel is up to you.

Over 65 years ago, my Father taught me to aim in about one minute. He was an old road player. He said, " Draw an imaginary ling through the OB to the center of the pocket. Where the line comes out the OB, that's where you try to hit with a straight stroke. You will figure out why your going left or right of the pocket after awhile. If you can't figure that part of the game out, maybe you should open up a whore house and run it by hand." Johnnyt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
More people are going to miss b/c of overthinking this and keep compensating for the throw imo .
Same thing with skid .

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that teaches the ghost ball aiming, better add that that's not all there is to it. On most cut shots you have to adjust for the same things you do with any aiming system. Ghost ball gets you in the pocket or very close each shot... the adjusting/feel is up to you.

Over 65 years ago, my Father taught me to aim in about one minute. He was an old road player. He said, " Draw an imaginary ling through the OB to the center of the pocket. Where the line comes out the OB, that's where you try to hit with a straight stroke. You will figure out why your going left or right of the pocket after awhile. If you can't figure that part of the game out, maybe you should open up a whore house and run it by hand." Johnnyt

I agree with Johnnyt

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Those old timers didn't waste a lot of words did they?
A friend of mine had a son who was a pretty big guy, about 250 lbs of muscle and testosterone when he was 17.
He left home {Ohio} and went broke in Louisiana and instead of calling and asking for money to get home , he hid in a park and jumped a guy to strong arm rob him.
The guy was a professional boxer and beat his arsk severely before calling the police.
They called my friend and told him what happened and he drove to Louisiana , paid the fines and brought him home.
He told me , I never said a word all the way home until we got in front of the house.
He said "then I told him, either get a job or get a gun"

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Those old timers didn't waste a lot of words did they?
A friend of mine had a son who was a pretty big guy, about 250 lbs of muscle and testosterone when he was 17.
He left home {Ohio} and went broke in Louisiana and instead of calling and asking for money to get home , he hid in a park and jumped a guy to strong arm rob him.
The guy was a professional boxer and beat his arsk severely before calling the police.
They called my friend and told him what happened and he drove to Louisiana , paid the fines and brought him home.
He told me , I never said a word all the way home until we got in front of the house.
He said "then I told him, either get a job or get a gun"

LMFAO. Johnnyt

Karate

Do you expect me to post?
Silver Member
Keep it Simple

To the Original Poster.

My opinion would be to keep it simple when studying this game of pool.

I don't mind hearing from all the scientist that report their findings here on AZ and the robotics on the pool table trying to understand the game but,
really it's all about making the balls disappear into the pocket.

I prefer to listen to someone that has played this game for a living and knows exactly how it's done.

Then you take their advice to the table and shoot as many of these shots that you need to finally have a true understanding of the shot.

Here is a simple video of Rodney Morris explaining the "ghost ball".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq0spmZUoKY

Start watching at the 4:30 mark.
And...hear him say "aim at the middle of the ghost ball".
Sometimes people hit the object ball to full and run it right into the rail.

To me, this is a very basic topic but, I recently ran across this video and thought I'd share it with AZ.

Karate-

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nic Barrow is showing increasing "impact throw" (collision- or cut-induced throw) as he moves from 3/4-ball hit (or aim) to 1/2-ball hit to 1/4-hit hit to 1/8-ball hit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGsXQ1MvO9Q

Conventional wisdom is that CIT is at a maximum at roughly a half-ball hit.

What is going on here?

Pretty curious about that myself. How was testing done in the past? I kinda trust the machine over the human in a case like this.