Disappointing Sportsmanship or Not?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah... So, when you said everybody, you didn't mean everybody including the opponent. Got you.
I still don't think it's an obligation to ensure an opponent makes no mistakes... But I understand your statement better now.
If you know the etiquette/rules of tournament play regarding these situations (and I'm not referring to league play as I don't know what the rules are there), no one observing, not even the tournament director is allowed to warn that person they are shooting the wrong ball. The only player permitted to do so is the opponent, only if they choose to do so. If anyone else had told him he was shooting the wrong ball, as TD, as late in the game as it was and it likely would have a direct affect on who won the game, I would have called for them to re-rack and start the game over.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
This is a very debated topic and has come up a number of times on this forum. The answer is clear:

Legally the seated player has no obligation to point out which the correct ball is to shoot. He acts as the 'referee' and you don't see a referee in a tournament match warning a player something he is about to do is stupid.

Ethically the debate is quite split. Some people argue it is 'good sportsmanship' to point out an opponents mistake. I feel it is not, as where do you draw the line? Do you have to warn them about a scratch? That they are aiming a kick long? I firmly believe it is the player's responsibility to play their game correctly in ALL cases. And, using professional pool as an example, I have NEVER seen a pro player assist their opponent under any circumstance.

Now, as I said, some people debate this piece and consider it poor sportsmanship to allow your opponent to make their mistake, but whether we agree on that the rules are clear. There is certainly no legal obligation to help your opponent.

I agree 100% with this.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Of cos not. He's playing to win not to lose.

Having said that, why did you and the spectators keep quiet? Why didn't you or someone shout "WRONG BALL, you fool " :grin:
Someone should make an app and have such warning shouts. So if something like this happens in a match, just turn on the app on high volume and send warning to C :grin:

6949056_700b.jpg
Anyone knowledgeable of tournament rules and etiquette knows that no one is permitted to clue in the shooter they are shooting at the wrong ball, other than their opponent if they so choose to do so.

I'm just saying that my character / integrity is more important to me than winning one game, one match or one tournament, particularly when playing a far weaker opponent. I'd hope that I'd fall among those who, as an opponent and if I saw it happening in enough to stop them from going through with the shot, I would choose to speak up and say something, unless that player had shown disrespect and/or a lack of etiquette towards me or another opponent I'd witnessed previously - if that's the case, then all bets are off.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone knowledgeable of tournament rules and etiquette knows that no one is permitted to clue in the shooter they are shooting at the wrong ball, other than their opponent if they so choose to do so.

I'm just saying that my integrity is more important to me than winning one game, one match or one tournament, so I fall among those who, as an opponent and if I saw it happening in enough to stop them from going through with the shot, I would choose to speak up and say something, unless that player had shown disrespect and/or a lack of etiquette towards me or another opponent I'd witnessed previously.

I'm not so certain that your definition of integrity holds up too well since you aren't willing to do what you think is right at ALL times but instead only when you approve of the player. I think this is the problem with this side of the argument. pt109 is starting to win me over on just following ALL the rules. There are certain times I would extend the courtesy to my confused opponent but I no longer feel obligated to do so. I certainly wouldn't do so in a team event where you really are responsible for refereeing your own match. In these events, extending this courtesy to your opponent is really unfairly handicapping your own team since you have no idea if the courtesy would be reciprocated.

Corey Duel once said something along the lines of, "I don't make the rules, I just play by them." Following this dictum is probably not a bad idea.

Now when it comes to judging a player's character based on how they handle these situations, I think you can glean more about a person by how they react afterwards than whether or not they make the call.

P.S. The worst possible scenario can be found in the APA when a player shoots the wrong balls and the opponent waits until they get down to the 8 ball to call the foul. Ouch.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I'm just saying that my integrityis more important to me than winning one game, one match or one tournament, so I fall among those who, as an opponent and if I saw it happening in enough to stop them from going through with the shot, I would choose to speak up and say something, unless that player had shown disrespect and/or a lack of etiquette towards me or another opponent I'd witnessed previously.

INTEGRITY....Your use of this word is how opposing politicians use it...it implies that
those who don’t do what you do don’t have INTEGRITY.

Well, I would question my INTEGRITY if I used my opponent’s advice to beat him.

And then you bring up situational ethics...you won’t warn the player if you don’t approve
of him.

If everybody plays by the rules....then people who don’t like each other can have a fair match.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm not so certain that your definition of integrity holds up too well since you aren't willing to do what you think is right at ALL times but instead only when you approve of the player. I think this is the problem with this side of the argument. pt109 is starting to win me over on just following ALL the rules. There are certain times I would extend the courtesy to my confused opponent but I no longer feel obligated to do so. I certainly wouldn't do so in a team event where you really are responsible for refereeing your own match. In these events, extending this courtesy to your opponent is really unfairly handicapping your own team since you have no idea if the courtesy would be reciprocated.

Corey Duel once said something along the lines of, "I don't make the rules, I just play by them." Following this dictum is probably not a bad idea.

agree with all the but especially the first part, i was thinking the same thing

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If player A noticed and said something right away to player C it is unsportsmanlike and the game following the rules is automatically given to player C. You can't notice and then say something right away it proves guilt and shows lack of character.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If player A noticed and said something right away to player C it is unsportsmanlike and the game following the rules is automatically given to player C. You can't notice and then say something right away it proves guilt and shows lack of character.

That barely makes sense.

You forgot to add, 'imo'.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

So are you saying that if player A saw the foul coming, let player C shoot the wrong ball, then called the foul right away...that the game then somehow goes to player C who just fouled? As in player A is being penalized for not telling player C he was about to blunder?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you saying that if player A saw the foul coming, let player C shoot the wrong ball, then called the foul right away...that the game then somehow goes to player C who just fouled? As in player A is being penalized for not telling player C he was about to blunder?

I thought he said if player a let opponent know before the shot, it would be unsporting/ loss of game?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
what proves guilt of what?
so because you make a mistake and i choose to let you, instead of holding your hand
i have a lack of character? because you cant pay attention?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't take issue with anyone that wants to correct their opponent's error. If they want to make that gesture as a courtesy, I'm fine with them choosing to do so.

Where I have an issue is if someone were to judge me as having a 'lack of character' for not doing the same. I play competitive pool and I play by the rules. I don't cheat. I play by the same rules as my opponent, and we don't correct each other's mistakes.

For someone to invent their own standards of sportsmanship and then criticize me for not living up to them doesn't seem right.

But this is the world we live in. I've accepted that if I play competitive pool publicly then people will have critical opinions about me and my decisions. The key for me is to try my absolute hardest to be a good sport and good person, then the criticism rolls off my back because I know I've done my best. The same way I try my hardest at the table to play my best pool and if railbirds want to criticize me then I can tune that out.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

Last edited:

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
I'm color blind. I try to look at the numbers before every shot, but sometimes I "assume". If I shoot the wrong ball, that's on me for not reading the numbers.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm color blind. I try to look at the numbers before every shot, but sometimes I "assume". If I shoot the wrong ball, that's on me for not reading the numbers.

In snooker there is a special rule for color blindness.....
In a refereed match, the ref must warn the player that he is shooting the wrong ball.
...the most common is the inability to distinguish a red from a brown ball.

In a non-refereed game, it’s the opponent’s duty to issue the warning......
...if it is not noticed till after the fact, the shot can be played over.

So in a pool game, I hope a player would get the same consideration.
.....even if the one with the vision problem is not liked....:cool:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a brain fart and done that before. I blamed nobody but myself. I actually found it kind of funny.

If I saw my opponent doing it I'd let him know unless he was an a-hole. I've actually let bangers commit fouls and didn't take bih because I know I'm going to beat them anyway. I've also called fouls on myself nobody else saw.

Bottom line opponent should have told him unless there was some previous friction between the two players but it's on the player at the table to shoot the right ball.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
In snooker there is a special rule for color blindness.....
In a refereed match, the ref must warn the player that he is shooting the wrong ball.
...the most common is the inability to distinguish a red from a brown ball.

In a non-refereed game, it’s the opponent’s duty to issue the warning......
...if it is not noticed till after the fact, the shot can be played over.

So in a pool game, I hope a player would get the same consideration.
.....even if the one with the vision problem is not liked....:cool:

The few times I've had the opportunity to play snooker, I ask on almost every shot. With numbers on the balls, the only excuse I have is my own laziness.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our weekly 9-ball tournament. One of our top regulars - an A player, is playing a C player, with the spot of 2 games on the wire in a race to 5 for the C player. This round is about half way through the tournament, with plenty of players and spectators still here and watching. Score is tied 3-3. The C player has ball-in-hand on the 6-ball, but clearly sets the cue ball down and lines it up to play the 7-ball.

Everybody in the room including myself who is playing in a match 3 tables away, sees what's going on, but as is appropriate, no one says anything to tip off the shooter he's getting ready to play the wrong ball. His opponent is the only one who has that option of warning the player of the mistake he's about to make and also clearly sees what's going on, but says nothing.

As soon as the player shoots and pockets the 6-ball, of course his opponent immediately tells him he just shot at the wrong ball, and of course also tells him he thought he was just checking out where he wanted to leave the cue ball for the 7-ball shot and didn't realize he was going to shoot it until it was too late, which was clearly not the case, in my opinion.

The A player went on to win the match. I didn't say anything, but it just didn't sit well with me that this player, whom I generally have respected as a nice guy and and always shows proper etiquette towards his opponent, had the opportunity to do the right thing here, but he placed the importance of his winning the match over showing good sportsmanship and chose to remain silent and then calling the foul. Karma caught up with him as he lost his next match anyway.

Opinions as to what others would have done in this same situation, keeping in mind that yes, prize $ was involved but not that much - this is just a weekly tournament and your opponent is a far weaker and far less experienced player?

I have read through this entire thread and I'm a little confused. Am I missing something here? The OP said the guy had ball in hand on the 6. Then goes on to say he pocketed the 6. Where is the foul?

Last edited: