Reload this Page Free APA Masters Pool in DC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Free APA Masters Pool in DC
Old
  (#1)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Free APA Masters Pool in DC - 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM

There are a lot of DC-area players on AZBilliards, so this will hopefully be of interest.

Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan and the local APA are offering a free Masters Division in the spring session (that is, right now) -- you have to pay your annual dues if you haven't already, but there are no weekly fees.

Even with this offer, I've only been able to drum up four teams to date, leading me to wonder what's wrong with people? Is free too expensive? Or maybe it's just that people don't know about it, which I'll try to fix now.

Here are the details:
  • Masters format
  • Matches start Wednesday nights at 7:30pm.
  • It's open to all handicaps, but almost all of the players are 5s and above.
  • Next Wednesday (1/26) will be week 3. But if a team starts late, we'll just run concurrent makeup matches on the extra table. So you can get twice the free play.
  • You don't need to have a team to join, just show up and I'll find a team for you.

One possible concern is that it's hard to park in Adams Morgan. But ever since DC raised the meter rates, it's been easier to find parking. Worst case, there's a place to park for $10 at the end of the block by Perry's restaurants.

PM me if you have any questions. It would nice to have a masters division for people who don't live way out in the suburbs!

Cory

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Dang you city folk got a lotta ledders.

Old
  (#3)
dr9ball
"Lock Doctor"
dr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond reputedr9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

01-21-2011, 11:51 AM

For many of us that live west of the Beltway, DC is just too far to drive on a week night.

It's a 60 mile round trip for me.

I hope it grows though. The Masters League is a great format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post
There are a lot of DC-area players on AZBilliards, so this will hopefully be of interest.

Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan and the local APA are offering a free Masters Division in the spring session (that is, right now) -- you have to pay your annual dues if you haven't already, but there are no weekly fees.

Even with this offer, I've only been able to drum up four teams to date, leading me to wonder what's wrong with people? Is free too expensive? Or maybe it's just that people don't know about it, which I'll try to fix now.

Here are the details:
  • Masters format
  • Next Wednesday (1/26) will be week 3. But if a team starts late, we'll just run concurrent makeup matches on the extra table. So you can get twice the free play.
  • You don't need to have a team to join, just show up and I'll find a team for you.

One possible concern is that it's hard to park in Adams Morgan. But ever since DC raised the meter rates, it's been easier to find parking. Worst case, there's a place to park for $10 at the end of the block by Perry's restaurants.

PM me if you have any questions. It would nice to have a masters division for people who don't live way out in the suburbs!

Cory

Rufus

PBIA Certified Instructor and Proud Member of the SPF Family of Instructors

If you like piano music here's my Fan Page check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/Rufus-Carte...pp/2405167945/

Old
  (#4)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr9ball View Post
For many of us that live west of the Beltway, DC is just too far to drive on a week night.

It's a 60 mile round trip for me.

I hope it grows though. The Masters League is a great format.
Very understandable, but there must be at least 30 inside-the-beltway players, right??

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Very understandable, but there must be at least 30 inside-the-beltway players, right??
On AZB? I can only think of a couple, actually...

Old
  (#6)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-22-2011, 09:44 AM

If I was closer to DC this would be a possibility. As it is now going into the heart of dc from Solomons Isl. Md. is a bit of a haul.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#7)
beetle
Do I bug you?
beetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

01-22-2011, 11:04 AM

It does sound like a great deal and hope people get the word.

I work downtown, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get there on Wednesday nights. My problem with a league commitment is that I travel a lot, sometimes for a month at a time.

I prefer tournaments for that reason, among others. With tournaments I can pick and choose and there's no risk letting the team down due to my travel schedule.

Good luck!

--Steve

Steve L. (over half a century old)
Cues:Edwin Reyes, Pechauer, Lucasi
Case: Jack Justis, JB
Table: Olhausen York 9'

Old
  (#8)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

The better players had better stop complaining about not having any competent players to practice with.

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#9)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

01-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Here are the details:
  • Masters format

Cory
What are the payouts?

Old
  (#10)
axejunkie
AzB Silver Member

axejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

01-23-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm inside the beltway, but Bedrock is just too hard to get to. Hope you can get the league going. Mac/mycustomcues mentioned he's getting back into playing, maybe he would be interested.

"I see the blind lead the blind
In the search for the mind
But I know what they'll find"

Old
  (#11)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member

01-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
The better players had better stop complaining about not having any competent players to practice with.
And the not-better players should step up for a cheap and easy way to get some matches against better players! Really, I thought 5-speed players would be all over it, at least when it's free.

Old
  (#12)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member

01-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
It does sound like a great deal and hope people get the word.

I work downtown, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get there on Wednesday nights. My problem with a league commitment is that I travel a lot, sometimes for a month at a time.

I prefer tournaments for that reason, among others. With tournaments I can pick and choose and there's no risk letting the team down due to my travel schedule.

Good luck!

--Steve
There's likely to be a team that needs an alternate, so that might be an option.

Old
  (#13)
mikepage
AzB Gold Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
And the not-better players should step up for a cheap and easy way to get some matches against better players! Really, I thought 5-speed players would be all over it, at least when it's free.
Bedrock is a nice place. Should be a fun group of people. How do you spell "no brainer"?

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#14)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

01-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
Bedrock is a nice place. Should be a fun group of people. How do you spell "no brainer"?
With a hyphen!

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#15)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member

01-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
You would think it's a no-brainer, but we'll see. We've got at least 4 teams, that's a start.

Also, I didn't answer the person who asked about payouts. I'm going to assume that was a real question and not an attempted dig at the APA. In any case, the payout is that -- in addition to having fun and playing reasonably competitive matches -- the winning team advances to the regional tournament where I think around 1/4 of the field gets paid and the winning team or two gets a free trip to Las Vegas for the national masters tournament. Winner of that gets $7500, with 1/4 of the field getting paid.

When we are actually paying dues, I think there will be a small payout at the end for the winning team. With only 4 teams, probably not very much, though.

If more precise answers would help, I can make inquiries.

Cory

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: