Dymondwood question ?

DiegoF08

Registered
Recently I came across this player at my pool hall and he was playing with an all dymondwood cue. The ferrule was maybe half an inch or less. The butt was cored with maple and I think the shaft wasn't. The cue weight about 19.5 19.7. I asked him if I could play with it and man what a solid hit. I hit a few balls with it and tried different English and it just played very well. I have been looking all over the Internet for a cue like this but all I see are break/jump cues. Does anyone know of a cue maker that specializes on this kind of cues or where I could find one?

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a kid at the DCC last January who had a dymondwood cue. He was from Missouri. No idea where to get a cue like that. His was a black butt, with a red shaft...looked very different. He loved it!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

DiegoF08

Registered
I saw a kid at the DCC last January who had a dymondwood cue. He was from Missouri. No idea where to get a cue like that. His was a black butt, with a red shaft...looked very different. He loved it!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Yeah this guy was from Michigan. This one was black butt, reddish forearm and somewhat dark brown shaft almost black. I could not believe how good this cue hit, for me at least. What surprise me the most was the ease in which i could put English on the cue ball as well as make straight in shots i usually don't make. It was well balanced, the tip was on the low 12s but i was okay with that. Very nice taper. I mean i am literally going out of my way to try to find a cue like this lol. I have a couple of custom cues, couple production and by far this one has been the best. Now i want one.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Yeah this guy was from Michigan. This one was black butt, reddish forearm and somewhat dark brown shaft almost black. I could not believe how good this cue hit, for me at least. What surprise me the most was the ease in which i could put English on the cue ball as well as make straight in shots i usually don't make. It was well balanced, the tip was on the low 12s but i was okay with that. Very nice taper. I mean i am literally going out of my way to try to find a cue like this lol. I have a couple of custom cues, couple production and by far this one has been the best. Now i want one.

It was a Purple DymondWood shaft, Dymondwood butt, custom built. Very low deflection. I have played with that cue and I have had cues built just like that one, maybe a little better, strength wise.

If you are ever in the New Orleans area, give me a shout.

JoeyA

DiegoF08

Registered
It was a Purple DymondWood shaft, Dymondwood butt, custom built. Very low deflection. I have played with that cue and I have had cues built just like that one, maybe a little better, strength wise.

If you are ever in the New Orleans area, give me a shout.

JoeyA
Hey Joey A, do you have name of the cuemaker in mind that i could use?
I am in colorado and currently having two cues being made by my local cuemaker but he doesnt work with dymondwood.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hey Joey A, do you have name of the cuemaker in mind that i could use?
I am in colorado and currently having two cues being made by my local cuemaker but he doesnt work with dymondwood.

PM will be sent.
JoeyA

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Jacoby makes all dymondwood cues that are meant to be played with.

DiegoF08

Registered
Thanks

Thank you all for the replies. I got some really good leads. For being my first time here on AZ i am very pleased with all the help the community has given me.
Thank you all
:smile:

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Recently I came across this player at my pool hall and he was playing with an all dymondwood cue. The ferrule was maybe half an inch or less. The butt was cored with maple and I think the shaft wasn't. The cue weight about 19.5 19.7. I asked him if I could play with it and man what a solid hit. I hit a few balls with it and tried different English and it just played very well. I have been looking all over the Internet for a cue like this but all I see are break/jump cues. Does anyone know of a cue maker that specializes on this kind of cues or where I could find one?

The cue Evan had was made by Steve Titus.

They won't be mass produced anytime soon if ever. Steve had a few a while back but never made anymore.

DiegoF08

Registered
The cue Evan had was made by Steve Titus.

They won't be mass produced anytime soon if ever. Steve had a few a while back but never made anymore.
i think I found some guys who can do the job. But it is nice to know who actually made it. Sad that he won't be making anymore of those. Tell you what it is very very well made. I'm glad Evan let me play with it. it will be a bit before I get my hands on one but I know the wait will be worth it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no more dymondwood

Unless someone already has the blank there will be no more new dymondwood cues anytime soon. The factory burned and the owners were not interested in going through the massive headaches and expense of getting set up again.

There is someone making some smallish pieces of dymondwood that would be big enough for cues but he is so buried in backorders from gun stock builders that he won't even turn loose of a piece for ink pen blanks.

Someone is talking to the original owner of dymondwood right now trying to learn the process and get the rights to produce dymondwood. No idea if anything will come of that or if that would free up any dymondwood for pool tables and pool cues.

This is all information I gained last Saturday from someone who is in regular contact with the gentleman who had owned dymondwood, I think it was his son that actually ran the business. Obviously secondhand info, now third hand so I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this other than this is what I was told by someone who seemed up to date on the dymondwood situation.

hu

DiegoF08

Registered
Unless someone already has the blank there will be no more new dymondwood cues anytime soon. The factory burned and the owners were not interested in going through the massive headaches and expense of getting set up again.

There is someone making some smallish pieces of dymondwood that would be big enough for cues but he is so buried in backorders from gun stock builders that he won't even turn loose of a piece for ink pen blanks.

Someone is talking to the original owner of dymondwood right now trying to learn the process and get the rights to produce dymondwood. No idea if anything will come of that or if that would free up any dymondwood for pool tables and pool cues.

This is all information I gained last Saturday from someone who is in regular contact with the gentleman who had owned dymondwood, I think it was his son that actually ran the business. Obviously secondhand info, now third hand so I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this other than this is what I was told by someone who seemed up to date on the dymondwood situation.

hu
Yeah the cue makers that quoted me have some pieces left. It is driving the price of the cue high but I have some waiting to do before I move on with the purchase. Hopefully they start making some more so that the prices can go down a little bit lol

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the cue makers that quoted me have some pieces left. It is driving the price of the cue high but I have some waiting to do before I move on with the purchase. Hopefully they start making some more so that the prices can go down a little bit lol

Don't hold your breath... It would likely take YEARS to get back into production
if they wanted to, which they don't

Dale

prophet32

Registered
Can the Original poster, or anyone with knowledge please forward the information needed... I am also looking for a playing cue. Mine doent have to be dymond wood as it looks like its hard to find but i do want the shaft to be in a dark wood just like the butt thanks .

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member

Ol Evan movin around still? Guy plays sporty.

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dymondwood in Mo

i run tourneys in KC a guy has a Alex Brick Dymondwood cue think it's a breaker at one point in time he said they were sold for $275 now the price is over $500. Funny thing was I thought it would be heaver w butt and shaft both Dwood but weighed just over 19 oz, haven't heard of a playing cue made from it, but to each their own! GL w your search

DiegoF08

Registered
Can the Original poster, or anyone with knowledge please forward the information needed... I am also looking for a playing cue. Mine doent have to be dymond wood as it looks like its hard to find but i do want the shaft to be in a dark wood just like the butt thanks .
Well for those of you who are looking to have someone make a cue like this for you i found several places.

Chilton cues, Steve Klapp (azb user ideologist can help you get in touch with him, very awesome guy to talk to by the way), Tony Lane, Kanaka Creek Custom at Doccues.com(They have 5 in Stock ready to be shipped), Richard Grimm Custom Cues.

These were my findings with the help of people here as well as some outside research. Good luck