Well this cue maker finally retired, kind of

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will not disclose his name because it seems like he hasn't made the news public yet. A a few days ago i sent an email to this individual interested in purchasing a brand new custom play cue from him. I specifically wanted to get this process started as being able to possess a cue from him would be nothing but an honor, based on the numerous amounts of praise I've read about him, and the incredible quality, craftsmanship, and imagination he puts into his designs. He emailed me back today and said he is semi retired. He plans to only make specialty cues, those cues I'm sure will be in the 5 figure price range. I'm glad he has his new life set up, from the description it is clearly incredible. I'm definitely happy for him, and sad at the same time. I mean, i don't even know why i'm sad, I've never met the guy, heck, I've never played with his cue. I guess that shows you the power that words have that others use to speak of this gentleman. He gets so much respect and praise amongst the pool community its like i already know him. Either way i'm going to purchase a collectible cue from him and I guess I'll have to just go ahead and get a play cue cue of his from cornerstone, recollection cues, j&j, etc.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the OP wrote applies to many cue-makers today that are getting up in years.
Based upon what I've seen, there's more great cue-makers approaching the end
of their careers than there are budding new cue-makers making a splash......it is
an omen, if not a harbinger, that cue-making is really on the mountain's downside.

Sure, there will always be someone that comes along and garnishes attention and
that's just normal but the parade of great cue-makers stilll active will only become
shorter as time progresses. Ergo, you should order that cue you want now or suffer
with the fact that you missed the boat and just go buy someone else's cue.

When it comes to custom pool cues, just remember "Obladi Oblada.....Life Goes On."

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the OP wrote applies to many cue-makers today that are getting up in years.
of their careers than there are budding new cue-makers making a splash......it is
an omen, if not a harbinger, that cue-making is really on the mountain's downside.

that's just normal but the parade of great cue-makers stilll active will only become
shorter as time progresses. Ergo, you should order that cue you want now or suffer

When it comes to custom pool cues, just remember "Obladi Oblada.....Life Goes On."

I'm glad you brought this up, as i was going to just update my OP. All the great cue makers are approaching their time to call it quits and enjoy the rest of their life as they should. But not many, it seems like has apprentices whom they can pass the torch to. Whether that was by design, not wanting there legacy to continue on, or whatever the reason, it seems like once these great cue makers are gone, we'll be forced to buy these fantastic cues in the secondary market:)sorry:), or purchase production line cues:)angry:). I want to go as far as comparing this to the great japanese swordsmiths, though limited in numbers then what they once were, many of them do pass down there knowledge and skill so that tradition can live on. The person I'm referring to in the OP has a person who worked under him, but he made it clear that this person will be producing cues under his own name, and not under the name of the "legendary cue maker".

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So who you talking about?

I really don't want to say as i don't think it is for me to disclose. The gentleman will definitely make it known soon, if he hasn't already. From what i gathered he has not made it known yet. And I don't want to put him in any compromising position by me prematurely disclosing as this is his business, his company and how he made a living for so many years. I think such information should come directly from him.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure hope its not the great Ling Chou Lucasi.
Hes the head cue maker at Lucasi custom cues.
Hes not even done with grade school yet!

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A semi-retired, "apex" cuemaker able to squeeze in 5 figure cues minus the waitlist.

Awfully kind... An honor, indeed.

Is "semi-retirement" just a polite way of blowing-off the guys who have been waiting years and can only afford four-figure cues, or has he cleared his list?

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So not to get too off topic from this thread, but a follow up question to your scenario of buying a cue from a great/famous cue maker before he retires is:

"Who do you go to when you need repairs or another shaft made?"

Considering that getting a cue refinished, repaired, or general work done from a different maker may devalue the cue or somehow make it feel unoriginal. I'm not against this line of thought, as there are a ton of great cue makers who may well be near the end of their careers. What do you do then?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do the same thing that everyone else does owning a great cue from a heralded cue-maker that's deceased.
Leave it alone unless there's damage that screams "fix me" or hire another great name cue-maker to repair it
Other than that, there's not much you could do to protect your investment in a cue besides always being careful.