Sugar spot

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Certainly not impossible. The seller was no more aware of it than you were.
As you've stated, it didn't show until after it was cut.
I doubt that X-ray was part of the grading process.
Neither of you could have known.

It doesn't matter how many 'A-s' it had when it was sold.
There's no guarantee it will remain perfect during the cutting process.
The rejection process stays in play all the way until finished product.
Buying shaft blanks is a 'crap-shoot' at best.
We've all had to reject shafts at some point during the process.
Mother Nature does have a sense of humor.
The up-side is that you're no longer a naive virgin.
I try to keep a sense of humor also. It helps.

Except your sense totally failed this time. :p JC was being sarcastic (at least I hope) about the triple A thing and the trunk of a car. That was a reference to something negative the shaft seller said about someone.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You have talents Kelly but I doubt that interpreting someone's tone on the internet is one of them.
Was he or wasn't he (being sarcastic) ? Only the shadow knows. Lol

Updated : 9.14.16

Other than asking : "Will the spot bother your friend? " and suggesting that I've "totally failed",
you've contributed pretty much nothing else to this thread Kelly. Prey tell, what is your goal here ?
Does my sharing of useful information offend you in some manner ?
JC said (privately) he was indeed being sarcastic, however, that's irrelevent.
He thought it was a sugar-mark; it's not. I suggested mineral deposit and Eric did also.
Where's the 'fail' ? When people reading this thread have learned something, that's hardly a fail.
Sorry Kelly but you'll have to come with something a little stronger next time.
Saying I've failed when sharing good info and you've shared nothing is kind of weak.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have talents Kelly but I doubt that interpreting someone's tone on the internet is one of them.
Was he or wasn't he (being sarcastic) ? Only the shadow knows. Lol

I might know from context clues (past posts about that subject)?

I will wager a worn out Lepro I'm right...

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's a mineral spot, and it doesn't hurt anything except aesthetics. I bet that shaft is heavy, too. Wood with mineral tends to be a lil heavier. As for what to do, it's totally up to your buyer & yourself. I completely understand that you don't want it coming back to haunt you later. I'd be on the fence, too. I never led anybody to ever believe that I used only pretty, white, clean shafts. I always told folks to expect wood chosen first & foremost for playability, then I'd sort them for beauty. To my pleasant surprise, most folks are completely on board with less than beautiful shafts so long as the cue plays nice. It's wise to let them be the ones to decide, though.

JC

Coos Cues
It's a mineral spot, and it doesn't hurt anything except aesthetics. I bet that shaft is heavy, too. Wood with mineral tends to be a lil heavier. As for what to do, it's totally up to your buyer & yourself. I completely understand that you don't want it coming back to haunt you later. I'd be on the fence, too. I never led anybody to ever believe that I used only pretty, white, clean shafts. I always told folks to expect wood chosen first & foremost for playability, then I'd sort them for beauty. To my pleasant surprise, most folks are completely on board with less than beautiful shafts so long as the cue plays nice. It's wise to let them be the ones to decide, though.

Right you are Eric,

I knew it was going to be small so I chose a heavy one

JC

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Here's what's going to happen; the shaft will play great. The player will show people at the pool hall and say 'its a great shaft! The only problem is this blem but it doesn't bother me...' Which part of that will his audience hear?

I would build a new shaft and save this one, if possible, for someone who wants a longer ferrule.

pickngrin

Make a new shaft and give him the option of buying the shaft with the sugar spot at a discounted price, say 50% off. You never know, it could turn out to be the best player of the three..

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
IMO, you should never sell a blem for a discount. That the first thing a player shows his buddies. It could be the best playing shaft in the world but it will always be a second. You devalue your work.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, you should never sell a blem for a discount. That the first thing a player shows his buddies. It could be the best playing shaft in the world but it will always be a second. You devalue your work.

I agree. As a seller of new cues it is essential that the front 1/2 to 2/3 of the shaft be reasonably clear at the very least.

Reactions: JC

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what's going to happen; the shaft will play great. The player will show people at the pool hall and say 'its a great shaft! The only problem is this blem but it doesn't bother me...' Which part of that will his audience hear?

I would build a new shaft and save this one, if possible, for someone who wants a longer ferrule.

An example of the real customer world, furthermore, it buys you tons of negative publicity needlessly because somebody will come along wanting a shaft with a longer ferrule. I'll try a little kindness Ryan and see where it gets me.

Mario

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
If you sell a blem at a discount, the first thing that will happen is that information will be circulated. Now there will be a host of players trying to find fault with your work (where there probably is none) in the hopes of you discounting your product. Selling like that just puts a negative label on your product.

IMO,
Alan

Reactions: JC

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same thing happen to me on the final pass with a shaft that had a lot of work in the ring and I didn't feel like making a new one. In my case the spot was a few inches from the joint end of the shaft. I found a similar looking piece of maple and inlaid the smallest foot ball shaped inlay that would cover the spot, I had a hard time finding the inlay and I knew where to look. Just a thought.