question about HARD tips, for playing shaft

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
So, I would like some input from the experts... I have been using pressed triangles for some time now, and for the most part, really like the performance. However, they are a pain in the arse to make, and it is really frustrating to go through the two day process of making one, to have it turn out to be a "dud". I also would like to go to a harder tip. I dont have a durometer, but my assumption, is that a pressed triangle (the way I do it anyway) is likely in the 80ish durometer range. Which provides for a tip that performs AWESOME, but doesn't quite give me the sound, and feedback that I am looking for.

For a reference point, I sometimes will play with my jump/break cue that has a G10 ferrule/tip combo on it, and can shoot 80% or so of all stroke shots with G10, so I know that I have a stroke that is inline with using a harder tip without worrying about miscues (too much anyway).

So my question is, based on the above information, what hard tip would you reccomend for use one a playing shaft, that will give a VERY crisp FIRM hit, but still retain good grip on the CB.

The options that I have looked into are as follows:
UltraSkin HH (love the way the ultraskins play, but have only used a medium, which was way too soft, and I had a hell of a time keeping the side of the tip looking pretty... for whatever reason they just do not stay burnished well... and I know that does not affect the play at all, but I am picky about certain things)
Water Buffalo (I had one on a break cue many years ago, but only ever broke with it, and don't recall the characteristics all that well)
Super Pro (from what I have found via searches, this seems to be a good option, but have no experience with them, how they play, or their durability)
Renfro's KiTech (either hard or solid... but don't know which would be better for my situation, nor do I have access to try one)

My goal is to have a Hard tip, that plays well, but gives a nice "click" and stays burnished pretty well, and grips the cueball well.

Any further information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
To me it sounds like your process for making pressed tips are producing tips that vary too wide in tolerance for your taste. Are you pressing for compression or by weight?

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
I use a C clamp, and I apply as much pressure as is possible without breaking the clamp LOL

It is a heavy duty 1" C-clamp (link below)
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4009-H...08459018&sr=8-2&keywords=heavy+duty+1+c+clamp

I literally just apply as much pressure as is possible, using this method.

The issue I am having is how the tips "machine" when installed. A good one, will ribbon and burnish up ok, but I have had several that seem dried out and come off in crumbs instead of ribbons.

They are also not quite as hard as I would like.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Jay, I would make a couple of suggestions. For a hard playing tip (single layer) I love the old "Sumo" tips... unfortunately they are not longer available unless you can find someone who has some stashed away. The other suggestion I would recommend is the Ultra Skin HH (layered). Both the Sumo and the Ultra Skin HH are quite thick so to get the feel (feedback) that you want you may want to try cutting them back a bit. If you have any questions send a PM. I hope this is helpful.

Todd

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
try the hh ultra skin take 3 layers off and shape plays real well

agree... I press them and then cut them to 4 layers on the shoulder

You will never get a single layer tip to play as well as a multi layered tip

Kim

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that will be hard to find

My goal is to have a Hard tip, that plays well, but gives a nice "click" and stays burnished pretty well, and grips the cueball well.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think you would like a super pro very well. Low maintenance and a harder tip with plenty of spin, etc. I am not a cue maker, but was very surprised at these tips.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultraskin H or HH should do it for you, I'm sure there are even more options available. It's just what i've tried, and found to play decent. There are tip presses available that will give you the same result over and over again. You can snag them for 10-15.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I also like a very hard tip. Sumo, if you can find them without being raped over the price, are great tips right out of the box. Next to them would be super pro. Very inexpensive and hard. Best tip for the money, IMO, for a tip right out of the box. I haven't tried the newer tips from Outsville but I hear a lot of good things. It's just not easy to find a real good hard tip, so I feel your pain.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric already mentioned Super Pro. I can second that notion based on what you are looking for. I shot with super pro for a long time. They are indeed great right out of the box and inexepensive. I can send you a couple in an enevelope if you want to try them out.

Madman on here also has some good tips that are very hard. His irish (green) hard tips are awesome. I have one on my breaker. You may want to send him a pm.

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
Thanks to all for their assistance. I just placed an order with Tom Hay yesterday afternoon for some HH USs, and am going to see how that route works. If they are not what I am looking for, the super pros will be my next attempt.

I think I am also going to trying swapping my ferrule to black G10 and putting the US HH's on that. Should "firm up" the hit a fair amount over the LBM currently installed.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
A while back Duc Lam, CueMaster98 came out with a line of Molavia tips where hardness was based on compression. Newton Meter is the metric equivalent of foot/pound. You can use the search forum feature.

Tom B

Registered
Have a break cue that came with Samsara leather break tip. Extremely hard but would not stay on the cue. Replaced with a MadMan leather break tip from cueman.com. While not as rock hard as Samsara or phenolic it performs well, holds chalk well and provides good grip on the cueball. After several months of use it is still where it belongs, has not changed shape and continues to perform nicely. This tip would be worth a try if your after an extremely hard leather tip that holds chalk and grips well and retains its shape.