2 part question

Al-po

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st. what is the most anyone has run against you? I was playing a guy erik (Carteret Red we called him) and he ran a 78 against me... which leads me to my 2nd question: the game was over after like 45 or so, but I continued to rack for him thinking it was good etiquette, keep in mind this run alone took 1:30 min ( he shoots real slow, but to each there own, this does not bother me)... would you have continued to racking for him?

No money involved and we were not playing for time either.

Mike

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I think the most was about a 70. Have had lots of 40s, 50s, etc.

I continue to rack. It is nice to see a good run up close and personal and it doesn't get any closer than that. I think it would be kind of rude to stop.

While the run is in the 20s, I kind of hope they miss. When it gets in the 40s, especially if the game is almost over, I start rooting for them to keep going.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
High Runs Against.....

I have played with Dick Lane a few times. I do believe he ran 128 against me. Some 60's-80's.
Leroy Kinman: 100. (He always stops when the final score is reached). Many, many 60's-80's.
Bob Vanover in the 60's.
I had no problem racking for those players. It was a learning experience.

As for your situation. That guy being so slow. It would of been very hard to continue with him when the game was over. I do believe I would of stopped. That is way too slow. That time 1hr & 30 mins..... for 78 balls. No way, I don't even think that I would play with the guy again if that is the way he shoots.
Just my opinion.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi there,

against my old teammate and friend-- he ran 326 and 228 against me in one game til 1.000 points-and 3 more 100+ in this game. I played the best straight pool i ever played in this match (based on balls per innings) and lost this game 1000 to 412 in 17innings.

lg
Ingo

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
As for your situation. That guy being so slow. It would of been very hard to continue with him when the game was over. I do believe I would of stopped. That is way too slow. That time 1hr & 30 mins..... for 78 balls. No way, I don't even think that I would play with the guy again if that is the way he shoots.
Just my opinion.

Yeah, that time is crazy. It's hard to learn much when you are going out of your mind sitting there waiting for him to take a shot.

Al-po

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luckily the owner of the PH is my best friend and we got table 1 next to the counter so we mainly just talked.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most balls run

This is sort of funny.
Hour and a half for 78 balls? That is a rate of 1 ball every 69 seconds. Ouch!!
A game to 100 shouldn't go much more than an hour to an hour and a half.

I have had to sit and watch some hi-runs on me and it is hard to remain focused while it is happening. Highest against me was an 88 by George Katsampes. About 45 minutes. And George was methodical. Greg Smith run a 78 on me in 25 minutes.

When I was a kid of about 23 or 24, I ran 68 out on a guy for $50. I had stop, stop, break shot on the table. I was more than surprised when he picked up the balls and started to rack for another game. From then on I always had this thing where when the game was over it was over, no matter what the run might be. I even ran 100 out once and missed 101. lol

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Hi there,

against my old teammate and friend-- he ran 326 and 228 against me in one game til 1.000 points-and 3 more 100+ in this game. I played the best straight pool i ever played in this match (based on balls per innings) and lost this game 1000 to 412 in 17innings.

lg
Ingo

Who was that?

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Larry Nevel 88 and out (unfinished run in a game to 100) in some qualifier a couple of years ago.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I lived in NYC, I had so many 100's run on me by George Mikula, Johnny Ervolino and "Flacko", I racked on auto-pilot. Everyone knows about how great George and Johnny were, but Flacko, mostly known as a 9-ball player, could play great straight pool. Seemed like he'd hit me with a 100 every time we played.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Back in the day, when schmidty used to shoot in my room he ran a 175 on me and there was no better seat for me to be in than the electric chair. Numerous other times he topped 100 and I was honored to be there to rack for him, he actually preferred it !!!

But as far as speed of play goes, he had to of run the fastest 100s I have ever seen !!!!

Steve

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Ortmann ran 100 and out on me.
Thorsten ran 98 from the break and scratched off the stack.
Robles ran 68 and out when I was ahead.
Schmidt has run over 200 when were playing 100 to 200 for dinner. He will do anything to get out of paying for dinner.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Men: Tony Robles ran 209 on me
Women: Jeanette Lee an 152 on me

I'll always keep racking at the end of a game unless I have an appointment to be somewhere else and need to leave.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Ortmann ran 100 and out on me.
Thorsten ran 98 from the break and scratched off the stack.
Robles ran 68 and out when I was ahead.
Schmidt has run over 200 when were playing 100 to 200 for dinner. He will do anything to get out of paying for dinner.

Brilliant Billy Boy !!!!

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Molineiro ran 92 on me (62 to win)
Stefan Cohen ran 74 out
Shaun Wilkie ran 67 out
Jasmin ran 64 and out after I ran 49

Andy

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Runs Against

Leo Galli ran 115 and out against me. And I'm fine with an opponent continuing a run after the game has ended. However some people aren't. I found this out through experience this year.

Ron F

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I have had people not only not continue to rack but to actually rake the balls on me while I was on a run, once I got the win. On a 43 once, and a couple of 30s.

Last edited:

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leo Galli ran 115 and out against me. And I'm fine with an opponent continuing a run after the game has ended. However some people aren't. I found this out through experience this year.

Ron F

Leo Galli!!!!
A true gentleman and a former PA State Straight Pool Champ.
He used to build cues, also.
Played him in 81 or 82 in a 14.1 tournament at Matashoneck's place in Hazelton. he had me 88 to 23 going to 100. I came back and was on a run of 28 or so with break shot with the score 95-92, my favor. Made the break shot and with the balls scattered everywhere, I had one shot. A severe cut. You can guess the rest and it was not good for me.

Leo must be gone by now or else he's nearing 100.