Old Cues Play Terrible

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why this is but when comparing newer cues with cues that are ten years old ore more I find it much harder to play with those cues.

Even some of the Gus Szamboti cues I've played with hit terrible in comparison to a lot of newer cues. Southwest seems to be one of the few exceptions to this but the old cues don't seem to move the rock in the same way.

I'm curious if this is because of the heavier weight used in a lot of the older cues (it was acceptable to make a 20 plus oz cue back then). The older cues had full 13mm shafts that probably contributed to a great "hit" but inhibited the ability to move whitey.

Again this is just my opinion but i'm wondering why this is.

I suspect it has to do with more forward balancing new newer cues, smaller diameter shafts and better tips. Perhaps lower deflection caused by new design techniques and smaller diameter shafts.

Hate on old timers :)

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'm going to pop up some popcorn, sit back and watch this one from a safe distance. :grin:

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I posted something similar to this awhile back and nearly got killed. (well not killed but beaten severely)

Banks

Banned
Not sure why this is but when comparing newer cues with cues that are ten years old ore more I find it much harder to play with those cues.

I don't like mustard.

That about sums it up. :thumbup:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all players wanted the same specs in their cues, there would not be any reason for so much diversity in the ways cues are constructed. I am glad that you have settled on what works best for you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here it comes....:angry::angry::angry::angry:

I had a '71 Szamboti that played like a dream...and it was 20.25 ounces.
Many people guessed it was 18 ounces when they picked it up.

'course I had the ivory ferrules taken off and re-tapered to a caromish 12 mm.

That's what a lot of older cues need.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's nothing wrong with old cues that a tuneup can't fix. In fact, nearly any decent cue can be made play well. Shaft taper, tip, and ferrule can turn an old sow into a silk purse.

bigshooter

Silver Member
One disclaimer: I never said old cues play terrible... just not hands down better than certain new cues. (please don't kill me - I have children) and I am in now way related to maxeypad2007 :eek:

bigshooter

Silver Member
OK - hold the phone.
I just re-read the original post and you stated 'cues over 10 years old' - dude I have underwear older than 10 years. I was thinking more like 1960's and 1970's.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have an old Palmer model M from the 2nd catalog...it's a beautiful cue to look at.

I play with a Josey that just feels good to me...

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 yrs ago?

Heavier cues ten years ago? 20 ounces? In 1995 I received my 1st 6 point Black Boar it weighs 19.2 it plays good enough today that I am tired of telling people it is not for sale. In 2003 I received my first Joel Hecek cue it weighs in at 18.7 it plays every bit as good as the 18.8 cue I received from Joel in 2011. Since I started collecting cues in 1995 the average weight seems to be 19 oz. The 20 oz. cues seemed to go the way of the older heavier cloth in the 1970's.I agree that the top cue makers keep refining their cues and their is some improvement but I would say it is slight at best.

Banks

Banned
How did Mosconi ever run 526 with that old cue he was using?

I heard that back then they were able to lay their heavy cues down on the table. When they did that, they'd push a little harder into that deep felt and create a path for the ball. They didn't need it for those 6" pockets, but it helped Mosconi overcome the old cue blues and set a record that still stands today. :eek:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All cues used by professionals play terribly.

As soon as I get them in my hands, they stop making balls!

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Even some of the Gus Szamboti cues I've played with hit terrible in comparison to a lot of newer cues. Southwest seems to be one of the few exceptions to this but the old cues don't seem to move the rock in the same way.

I'm curious if this is because of the heavier weight used in a lot of the older cues (it was acceptable to make a 20 plus oz cue back then). The older cues had full 13mm shafts that probably contributed to a great "hit" but inhibited the ability to move whitey.

I suspect it has to do with more forward balancing new newer cues, smaller diameter shafts and better tips. Perhaps lower deflection caused by new design techniques and smaller diameter shafts.

Just as one might find people that prefer cheap beer over a fine Single Malt Scotch or fine Tequila, some people haven't developed the appreciation for superior craftsmanship and aesthetics in vintage custom pool cues. This appreciation takes time to develop and for some, it may never happen. In the end, it doesn't matter as far as ones ability to play. If what you have gets the job done then you don't need anything else.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have any new cues, but I have tried them out, from time to time. I am getting a newer shaft, for my Pechauer, just cause my old cue shaft has an .010 warp & I have $250 to spend. I hope things work out, but I'm keeping my warped shaft, just in case.

I had a great Richard Black, a wonderful Jimmy Ingram, a Schon, a nice Joss West & a very fine hitting Huebler. I sold them all for MONEY.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

In my opinion, cues have become kind of generic. I have many old cues but I also prefer playing with modern cues - the newer ones just don't have much personality.

It's like comparing a '57 Chevy to a Honda Accord. Is the Accord a better car for commuting? Sure, but which one would you rather have in the garage?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

FYI some old cues play incredibly well. Pick up a decent one piece Titlist some time.

I have a couple of cues from the 1920's that play beautifully - if you're ever in Los Angeles, let me know and you can try them out.