One Pocket Rules

darmoose

Shutin@urhole is OVERATED
Silver Member
On OP.org quite often there pops up discussions about the rules of OP and whether there ought to be some changes considered.

Out of curiosity I wonder what the members here would think of this:

The rule allowing intentional fouls is often used, particularly in gambling sessions, by the superior player (or the player giving up a spot), to reduce the consequences of being caught in a trap by changing the game originally negotiated..

For example, player A is giving player B 9/7, but get caught in a trap and takes two subsequent intentional fouls, causing player B to do likewise. Now, because they are playing the "three foul you lose" rule player A has to take a chance and try to shoot out of the trap. But, he has now changed the game to 11/9, much more to his advantage.

How about a new rule for OP that says that after any foul, the incoming player can give the table back to the player that committed the foul (much like how push out nine ball used to be played when we all were young, and before it was ruined by TV).

Consider how this would improve OP by removing the motive to take intentionals. One could still take the intentional, but he may be shooting again. Also, i should say that on fouls like a CB scratch where BIH behind the line applies, it is unlikely the shot would be given back to the fouler. And, the one exception I would propose is the situation at the end of a game where one ball remains and is hanging in the pocket, we would play the same as today (the shooter may pocket the ball and foul and spot two balls, continuing the game).

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just let the incoming player accrue a foul as well if they want to return it.
It works just fine.
You mention ruining the game of 9ball, but recommend this for one pocket?
Hmmm...
Bad enough there's a 4 or more rule now, but that's about the only realistic adjustment I could imagine.
Can't say I'm a fan of the make a ball on the break and re-rack either.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On OP.org quite often there pops up discussions about the rules of OP and whether there ought to be some changes considered.

The rule allowing intentional fouls is often used, particularly in gambling sessions, by the superior player (or the player giving up a spot), to reduce the consequences of being caught in a trap by changing the game originally negotiated..

For example, player A is giving player B 9/7, but get caught in a trap and takes two subsequent intentional fouls, causing player B to do likewise. Now, because they are playing the "three foul you lose" rule player A has to take a chance and try to shoot out of the trap. But, he has now changed the game to 11/9, much more to his advantage.

How about a new rule for OP that says that after any foul, the incoming player can give the table back to the player that committed the foul (much like how push out nine ball used to be played when we all were young, and before it was ruined by TV).

Consider how this would improve OP by removing the motive to take intentionals. One could still take the intentional, but he may be shooting again. Also, i should say that on fouls like a CB scratch where BIH behind the line applies, it is unlikely the shot would be given back to the fouler. And, the one exception I would propose is the situation at the end of a game where one ball remains and is hanging in the pocket, we would play the same as today (the shooter may pocket the ball and foul and spot two balls, continuing the game).

There is another site dedicated to just playing the game of 1 Pocket. onepocket.org
try asking over there.....

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m at the end of a pretty long trip this go around so I may not be reading this correct, but if I intentionally push out chances are I’m pushing towards your hole and if you make me shoot again I’ll have a straight in shot towards my hole. So what’s the point of this rule?
And when we make the game and I give you the spot we both know that it’s a possibility that I’m going to be pushing out and getting you to push out. So it is what it is.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the chances of rules changing the game for the better are unlikely

However if Iwere playing a better player who took intentional fouls and i was worried about it,I would negotiate that into the game

The 3 foul rule was seldom usedin Dallas,but when I played Cliff Joyner I had to insist on the 3 foul rule as a way to prevent excessive pressure on me.

I got beat anyway,but i don't think the intentional foul rule caused the problem

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is another site dedicated to just playing the game of 1 Pocket. onepocket.org
try asking over there.....

Did you read the first post?

The existence of onepocket.org was already acknowledged.

The post clearly states he is interested in hearing az's input

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m at the end of a pretty long trip this go around so I may not be reading this correct, but if I intentionally push out chances are I’m pushing towards your hole and if you make me shoot again I’ll have a straight in shot towards my hole. So what’s the point of this rule?

And when we make the game and I give you the spot we both know that it’s a possibility that I’m going to be pushing out and getting you to push out. So it is what it is.

As an example, I bank a ball to my side in front of my pocket and freeze you on the stack. There is no escape for you and you just touch a CB as an intentional. So instead of touching back and taking a foul myself I could just put you back to shoot again. That’s at least how I understand what the OP is proposing.

I think this would take a lot from the game, make it less strategic. Imagine a similar rule introduced in 14.1. No, not a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That trip a hallucinogenic one, hahahah?

No a 'push', an intentional foul...as in tap the CB and no move it.

Problem/ move is as such: say you are getting 8-6 and yo have a ball hanging in your hole and you leave my stuck somewhere, no chance to better my position. I take a foul, you take a foul. CB is still there and we go another round of intentional fuuls, so we are both on 2.

Now I make a legal shot. While you may now have the same shot that caused the 2 rounds of intentional fouls, your opponent has changed the game to 10-8, from 8-6.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As an example, I bank a ball to my side in front of my pocket and freeze you on the stack. There is no escape for you and you just touch a CB as an intentional. So instead of touching back and taking a foul myself I could just put you back to shoot again. That’s at least how I understand what the OP is proposing.

I think this would take a lot from the game, make it less strategic. Imagine a similar rule introduced in 14.1. No, not a fan

i like how you think......:thumbup:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That trip a hallucinogenic one, hahahah?

It would be better than the one I'm on, fo sure

No a 'push', an intentional foul...as in tap the CB and no move it.

Problem/ move is as such: say you are getting 8-6 and yo have a ball hanging in your hole and you leave my stuck somewhere, no chance to better my position. I take a foul, you take a foul. CB is still there and we go another round of intentional fuuls, so we are both on 2.

Now I make a legal shot. While you may now have the same shot that caused the 2 rounds of intentional fouls, your opponent has changed the game to 10-8, from 8-6.

I get what you're saying, I just think that's part of the game and part of the spot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Out of curiosity I wonder what the members here would think of this:...
I prefer this: After any foul, the fouler does not lose a ball but the non-fouler gets to take any ball from the table as his before he shoots.

That should cut down on intentionals and speed the game up.:thumbup:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer this: After any foul, the fouler does not lose a ball but the non-fouler gets to take any ball from the table as his before he shoots.

We had this discussion before IIRC. Taking any ball from the table seems a bit harsh. In this case a foul is clearly worth more than a ball, maybe 2 or even 3, on average. If speeding up the game is the goal, a middle ground option would be to give a pocketed ball to the non-fouler or owe to give one if none have been pocketed by the fouler.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why the rush? I like a long game. Not that wedge long game stuff, but a bunch of safeties long game is great.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Why the rush? I like a long game. Not that wedge long game stuff, but a bunch of safeties long game is great.

I agree, I've never watched a game of 1-pocket and thought "oh I hate this kind of game where the players are taking fouls, lemme fast-forward."

Whereas I've absolutely thought "oh no, the ball count is 1-0 and the remaining 14 balls are all in the kitchen, this rack is gonna be an absolute slog." I watched, off and on because I was incapable of standing there through the whole ordeal, Aranas and Gomez play a 3-hour GAME of one pocket at DCC last year, arising from all the balls going uptable very early in the rack. That's the game that (to me) demonstrates a need for a rule change, nothing to do with fouls.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
How about they DCC rule to just reset the negative ball counts to zero when they negative ball count is equal? At least that's what I got out of the rules yesterday. Anyone else catch that?

As far as this idea goes from the OP, I dont like it too much either. Let the game get played! If it takes 3 hours then so be it.