Mezz butts and mezz joints

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

I hope you're all having a great day. I have 2 questions for you.

1. Do mezz butts feel hollow or full?

2. Gun to you head, you can only play a Mezz with a United or Wavy joint, which one is it?

Thanks

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

I hope you're all having a great day. I have 2 questions for you.

1. Do mezz butts feel hollow or full?

2. Gun to you head, you can only play a Mezz with a United or Wavy joint, which one is it?

Thanks
1.?
2. It's what you like. United has sort of the feel of a metal joint. Wavy has more of a wood to wood feel. Then different shafts and tips will alter the feel some. I like my wavy joint feel.

PoppaSaun

Banned

Thanks

Gun to my head? I take the bullet instead of the novelty joints. Screws were standardized for a reason. Making a new thread profile doesn't change anything about the hit.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only have experience with the new Power Break Kai I got last week but so far I'm impresses with Mezz. It's a simple cue but the fit/finish is very good and the united joint screws down really tight and firm...in a good way! After my experience with the break cue if I was going to pick up a production playing cue it would probably be a Mezz. I'd like to try the Wavy vs United joint side by side for a playing cue to see which I liked better.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned and played with both types of joints and a WX700 shaft on both. There is no real difference in playability between the two, both work and hold the cue together tightly. If I was forced to choose one I would go with the United joint as the shafts insert gives the cue a little more forward balance point that I prefer but I would be happy with either one.

Find a model that you like, buy it with a shaft that you are going to use and enjoy your masterfully crafted playing cue. I am more of a Predator guy myself but I still admit that Mezz makes the best finished production cues out there. What evet you end up buying will play well enough to not disappoint if you like the Mezz feel in generela, regardless of the joint used :wink:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I've had almost every Mezz shaft and joint available, except the break cue. The wavy joint has a great hit but it's limitation to only using mezz shafts (unless someone purchases a wavy tap for around $300) is its biggest downfall. The united joint is much better than a standard 5/16x14 imo, the final fit is much more solid...similar to a compression. As for the butts, it's hard to argue that any other production company is making a substantially better one. This is an older thread but has some decent info http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=340336

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
There's zero doubt in my mind that Mezz makes the absolute best production cue ever produced anywhere by anyone. Every one I have hit with, which is a bunch, hit & felt like somebody who knows how to play pool crafted it to play pool. I don't know how else to describe it, and it's something missing in the vast majority of production cues I have hit balls with. As for the joint, use whichever one you prefer. I don't think there's much difference so long as the shaft is locked solid to the butt.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's zero doubt in my mind that Mezz makes the absolute best production cue ever produced anywhere by anyone. Every one I have hit with, which is a bunch, hit & felt like somebody who knows how to play pool crafted it to play pool. I don't know how else to describe it, and it's something missing in the vast majority of production cues I have hit balls with. As for the joint, use whichever one you prefer. I don't think there's much difference so long as the shaft is locked solid to the butt.

I think Schon cues are in the same way, you would put Mezz over a Schon?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Schon cues are definitely above most other production cues when it comes to quality and playability, the difference between Schon and Mezz shows up in the higherend cues. No other company is coming close to what Mezz is turning out when it comes to craftsmanship, for that matter most custom cuemakers arent.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

Yes I would. And that's nothing against Schon. Mezz is just that much better. I can pick a cue from 3 other makers on the planet and never skip a beat from playing with my own. 2 of them are custom makers & the 3rd is Mezz, in no particular order. Hand me any Mezz off the line & I can play as well as if I made the cue for myself.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I would. And that's nothing against Schon. Mezz is just that much better. I can pick a cue from 3 other makers on the planet and never skip a beat from playing with my own. 2 of them are custom makers & the 3rd is Mezz, in no particular order. Hand me any Mezz off the line & I can play as well as if I made the cue for myself.

Thats extremely interesting coming from you Eric.

Im a mezz lover n user, n im definitely aware of how consistent n good mezz cue plays, in fact i call it the poor man southwest.
I've owned many famous custom n schon but mezz is definitely ahead.

However i've always been interested in trying out a sugartree but never cld seem to find a plaine jane with ebony forearm n buttsleeve.

Im curious if u engineered n construct ur cue to hit like a mezz cue considering how much respect u have for em ?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
have had both, my favorite cues, my current player has the united joint and i deff recommend it if you like a soild stiff hitting cue, if you like semi softer but not by much choose the wavy.:thumbup:

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My preference is for the united joint. Only because my friend had the wavy one and after his cue sitting in his case for a few years without being used, the wood on the shaft swelled making it pretty much impossible for him to screw the butt in fully. It wasnt so serious as per the cue repairman but just a hassle

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have made this thread about Mezz: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379036

It answers many questions about Mezz products.
Mezz uses a full length core in their cues, so it`s a fairly stiff feeling cue.
The joint diameter is .842" and it`s 1.24" at the butt.
Mezz uses different woods in their cores. I have seen maple, laminated maple, purpleheart, bubinga and I think I have seen a picture of a Jatoba core too.
As you probeably know some of these woods are very dense compared to regular maple.
As for United Joint or Wavy joint, it does not really matter, but I`ll say that Wavy is the tightest wood to wood joint out there, when a player first tries to screw a Wavy jointed Mezz together for the first time, the common reaction is that it`s so tight that they think something wil break when you get close to screwing the cue together, that`s how tight it is, and it stays that way.
United Joint makes trying different shafts so much easier as it is basically a very tight 5/16-14 joint.
I`m pretty sure you gonna be happy with whatever Mezz you pick up.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I have made this thread about Mezz: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379036

It answers many questions about Mezz products.
Mezz uses a full length core in their cues, so it`s a fairly stiff feeling cue.
The joint diameter is .842" and it`s 1.24" at the butt.
Mezz uses different woods in their cores. I have seen maple, laminated maple, purpleheart, bubinga and I think I have seen a picture of a Jatoba core too.
As you probeably know some of these woods are very dense compared to regular maple.
As for United Joint or Wavy joint, it does not really matter, but I`ll say that Wavy is the tightest wood to wood joint out there, when a player first tries to screw a Wavy jointed Mezz together for the first time, the common reaction is that it`s so tight that they think something wil break when you get close to screwing the cue together, that`s how tight it is, and it stays that way.
United Joint makes trying different shafts so much easier as it is basically a very tight 5/16-14 joint.
I`m pretty sure you gonna be happy with whatever Mezz you pick up.

Tight screw/thread engagement is a bad thing. All of the idiots who tout how tight the cue is screwing it together and how that is a sign of quality should really investigate how screws work.

The clamp force of the screw is what is important. The clamp force for a given screw diameter and torque is determined by the friction in the connection. Generally this friction is mostly on the two faces of contact. When the screw is tight in the threads, that will increase the friction forces and reduce the clamp force.

So, mezz invented a novelty screw profile and made a worse system. Kudos to the 'best' production cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tight screw/thread engagement is a bad thing. All of the idiots who tout how tight the cue is screwing it together and how that is a sign of quality should really investigate how screws work.

The clamp force of the screw is what is important. The clamp force for a given screw diameter and torque is determined by the friction in the connection. Generally this friction is mostly on the two faces of contact. When the screw is tight in the threads, that will increase the friction forces and reduce the clamp force.

So, mezz invented a novelty screw profile and made a worse system. Kudos to the 'best' production cue.

Mezz has made thousands of cues and shafs with Wavy joint and it works fine. If it was too tight and splitting the shaft was a potential problem, Mezz wouldnt use it. I install all kinds of pins and the 8.0mm Mezz gives in the official installation guide works fine.
I have setups for all the common joint pins and matching gauge pins and reamers and know the difference between tight and too tight.