Why English
Old
  (#1)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Why English - 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Why is side spin called English in some parts of the world yet it is called side spin in other parts?

Old
  (#2)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

06-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
Why is side spin called English in some parts of the world yet it is called side spin in other parts?
It's actually not a pool term, but instead a billiards term. Danny DiLiberto has touched, during his commentary, on the fact that the first billiard players that effectively utilized sidespin were the English players, so that others began to refer to sidespin as English. Apparently, the term hasn't caught on everywhere, but it caught on in pool in any circles.

Old
  (#3)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 11:52 AM

think it came from the french because the english were supposedly the first to use leather tips, enabling them to use sidespin

Old
  (#4)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2019, 12:05 PM

longhorns2...Nope, it was the other way around. The leather tip was invented by a captain in the French military...Francois Mingaud. He invented it while he was being incarcerated by the French king. When Mingaud got out, he went to England, picked up a piece of calcium carbonate (think White Cliffs of Dover), rubbed it on his new tip, and then envisioned, practiced and mastered the use of draw, follow, sidespin and masse. There are historical drawings of the shots he figured out how to do. He went on to entertain all the royalty in Europe for years.

Scott Lee ~ amateur pool historian
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
think it came from the french because the english were supposedly the first to use leather tips, enabling them to use sidespin

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#5)
8cree
AzB Silver Member
8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Cool stories, bro!

No, but for real, their cool! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

... you win some, you lose some, but nothing beats getting some!

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
I think that no one knows for sure.

The best reference for billiard-related words, their origins and meanings, is Mike Shamos' "New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards." The earliest example found of the word "English" to mean side spin was in the New York Times in 1873. Shamos points out that the use of side spin was documented in 1806 which pre-dated the invention of the tip by Mingaud (about 1818). Chalk was also used before tips were invented.

Shamos speculates that the usage came about because English visitors introduced side spin. There is a long time between the first use of side spin along with universal use of tips and the first recorded use of "English" to mean side. I've also seen a theory that "english" somehow transmogrified from "angled".

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
jason
Unprofessional everything
jason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3750

06-20-2019, 01:23 PM

Have you ever asked for a Kleenex, but recieved a generic tissue instead? Have you ever used a copy machine that wasn't a Zerox? How about I'll have a Coke, but received a different brand of soda?

All of these are brands. What does that have to do with English you may ask? Well, all of the brands above were first in the market place and their brand name became synonymous with the product. The same for the word English in the since that we are using it. The English players were the first to develop side-spin with a leather tip, so the term stuck.

That it folks. Nothing more to it.

TRUMP 2020

Bigotry by Pangit 2019 that should never be forgotten.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499879

------------------------------
Jason

Old
  (#8)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Have you ever asked for a Kleenex, but recieved a generic tissue instead? Have you ever used a copy machine that wasn't a Zerox? How about I'll have a Coke, but received a different brand of soda?

All of these are brands. What does that have to do with English you may ask? Well, all of the brands above were first in the market place and their brand name became synonymous with the product. The same for the word English in the since that we are using it. The English players were the first to develop side-spin with a leather tip, so the term stuck.

That it folks. Nothing more to it.
Except that's not what actually happened.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 01:45 PM

If there was any justice, it would be called ‘tourner ‘...honouring Mingaud.

In Canada, us hosers were raised calling it ‘siding’...even Alex uses that term sometimes

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 01:52 PM

All interesting explanations. Thanks all

Old
  (#11)
jason
Unprofessional everything
jason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3750

06-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Except that's not what actually happened.
Please enlighten me then Bob.

TRUMP 2020

Bigotry by Pangit 2019 that should never be forgotten.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499879

------------------------------
Jason

Old
  (#12)
mark187
AzB Silver Member
mark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Please enlighten me then Bob.
He already did, in the post directly before your one

Old
  (#13)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Zerox
Xerox

" The technique was originally called electrophotography. It was later renamed xerography—from the Greek roots ξηρός xeros, "dry" and -γραφία -graphia, "writing"—to emphasize that, unlike reproduction techniques then in use such as cyanotype, this process used no liquid chemicals.

(from wikipedia)

Old
  (#14)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
It's actually not a pool term, but instead a billiards term. Danny DiLiberto has touched, during his commentary, on the fact that the first billiard players that effectively utilized sidespin were the English players, so that others began to refer to sidespin as English. Apparently, the term hasn't caught on everywhere, but it caught on in pool in any circles.
I doubt it. What I really think is that the first people that Americans saw use spin affectively for English. So it stuck, like the names Alabama 8-ball, Boston Pool, French Fries. As others have said, the French invented the spin that we know.

On a related subject, I am fully convinced (and I have a little linguistics background to use as reasoning) that the word massé (masser) is actually a bastardization of the name of the city Marseille (in France). I also took six years of French, and the verb masser initially had nothing to do with billiards or masts or straight up and down actions or hammers.

In Boston, the word massé sounds phonetically equivalent to Marseille. I theorize that the first players that the English saw use extreme side spin were from France (and maybe specifically from Marseille), and shots like that would be “de Marseille.”

I’ve read rebutts to this, none of which make sense. The modern usage of the word massé seemed to all come from billiards (to hammer, to strike from above). The only usage my French teachers knew of the word other than billiard was masser = to massage.

Freddie <~~~ linguistically speaking

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#15)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I doubt it. What I really think is that the first people that Americans saw use spin affectively for English. So it stuck, like the names Alabama 8-ball, Boston Pool, French Fries. As others have said, the French invented the spin that we know.

On a related subject, I am fully convinced (and I have a little linguistics background to use as reasoning) that the word massé (masser) is actually a bastardization of the name of the city Marseille (in France). I also took six years of French, and the verb masser initially had nothing to do with billiards or masts or straight up and down actions or hammers.

In Boston, the word massé sounds phonetically equivalent to Marseille. I theorize that the first players that the English saw use extreme side spin were from France (and maybe specifically from Marseille), and shots like that would be “de Marseille.”

I’ve read rebutts to this, none of which make sense. The modern usage of the word massé seemed to all come from billiards (to hammer, to strike from above). The only usage my French teachers knew of the word other than billiard was masser = to massage.

Freddie <~~~ linguistically speaking
Due to my propensity to make very difficult, almost impossible shots under pressure players might occasionally say: “That shot was six.” Same thing.

Of course they dropped the “pack” just because pool players are too lazy to use two syllables where they can get away with one...

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: