Can You Lose Your Amateur Status - Brian Parks

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo the mere fact that he has won it 5 times does not make him a pro. Also beating a pro once in a while does not make him a pro. I will use myself as an analogy. I am an apa 5. Several times I have beaten 7'..8's..and 9's not needing the handicap. Does that make me a 7..8..or 9 ? No...it just means I played better than them on that particular day. Pros have bad days like every one else....lot at all the missed easy shots in the mosconi cup.

Also apa guidelines state a player must make a majority of his income from pool. Taking all the above into consideration I have no problem with Brian playing in the us amateur .

Not trying to be a smart aleck but am going to state again what i said in the last thread about about Brian winning all these us amateurs. You dint like it .... Practice your ass off and take it from him.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo the mere fact that he has won it 5 times does not make him a pro. Also beating a pro once in a while does not make him a pro. I will use myself as an analogy. I am an apa 5. Several times I have beaten 7'..8's..and 9's not needing the handicap. Does that make me a 7..8..or 9 ? No...it just means I played better than them on that particular day. Pros have bad days like every one else....lot at all the missed easy shots in the mosconi cup.

Also apa guidelines state a player must make a majority of his income from pool. Taking all the above into consideration I have no problem with Brian playing in the us amateur .

Not trying to be a smart aleck but am going to state again what i said in the last thread about about Brian winning all these us amateurs. You dint like it .... Practice your ass off and take it from him.

LMFAO an apa 5 comparing beating a 9 to beating numerous pros in a pro tournament. Let me state again he won a pro tournament at Hard Times last year beating numerous pro's along the way like Bustamante and Rodney Morris. It wasn't one lucky match against a pro he went undefeated in the pro tournament!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
LMFAO an apa 5 comparing beating a 9 to beating numerous pros in a pro tournament. Let me state again he won a pro tournament at Hard Times last year beating numerous pro's along the way like Bustamante and Rodney Morris. It wasn't one lucky match against a pro he went undefeated in the pro tournament!

Sounds to me like he's working overtime on his game.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like he's working overtime on his game.

And props to him, he is a great player. My opinion, which means nothing, is once you start winning pro tournaments you are no longer an amateur. Or when your Fargo rating is 721 you are past amateur

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And props to him, he is a great player. My opinion, which means nothing, is once you start winning pro tournaments you are no longer an amateur. Or when your Fargo rating is 721 you are past amateur

Don't you know, Pro's in THIS country are defined by those who gamble, and those who don't! You CAN'T be considered a Pro if you don't gamble! The best players on the planet gamble.....NOT!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Laugh all you want . Like I said was an analogy comparing similar situations. People win all the time against people who some say should not have they do not have a chance in hell of beating.

What was the race at hard times. ? Race to 7 ? posters on here use the w,cuse any one can beat any one in a race to 5. What's 2 more racks ?

I never said he did not play close to pro speed. Its a known fact that an apa players who are 7/9's can be from a good A player to semi pro. Like it or not the apa guidelines posted right above my post brian parks falls into an amateur status.

Sheesh....you guys act like he has won every single one he ever played in.

Another thing. Just exactly what the hell is robbing all the other entrants in the us amateur of ? A damn trophy lol.

Just curious. How many pros did he beat in that tournament at hard times. What were there names ? And what was the score of the matches where he beat all these pros ?

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I know the time-stamps say this thread was all done "today", .. but I could swear that I read a thread here that was VERY similar a while back.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laugh all you want . Like I said was an analogy comparing similar situations. People win all the time against people who some say should not have they do not have a chance in hell of beating.

What was the race at hard times. ? Race to 7 ? posters on here use the w,cuse any one can beat any one in a race to 5. What's 2 more racks ?

I never said he did not play close to pro speed. Its a known fact that an apa players who are 7/9's can be from a good A player to semi pro. Like it or not the apa guidelines posted right above my post brian parks falls into an amateur status.

Sheesh....you guys act like he has won every single one he ever played in.

Another thing. Just exactly what the hell is robbing all the other entrants in the us amateur of ? A damn trophy lol.

Just curious. How many pros did he beat in that tournament at hard times. What were there names ? And what was the score of the matches where he beat all these pros ?

He also beat Oscar Dominguez and Mitch Ellerman in that tournament along with Bustamante and Rodney Morris. I don't know the scores but believe it was race to 9

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the guy receive money or free goods from OB in exchange for allowing his likeness to be used in promotional materials? If so then he's clearly not an amateur.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He also beat Oscar Dominguez and Mitch Ellerman in that tournament along with Bustamante and Rodney Morris. I don't know the scores but believe it was race to 9

Well this might cause a lil dust up. But I am going to post it any way.

Francisco bustamante 786 with a robustness of 3,345
Rodney Morris. 781 with a robustness of 7,941
Oscar Dominguez. 769 with a robustness of 8,004
Mitch ellerman 738. With a robustness 4,679

Brian parks 721. With a robustness of 936

Brian was definitely the under dog in the matches with Francisco...rodney and Oscar. Mitch is not exactly a top pro in my book. Any body van have a helluva tournament on a particular weekend but I really believe if Brian faced them all again the outcome would be a little different.

He may play darn near pro speed but like I said....under the current apa guidelines he is considered an amateur.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the guy receive money or free goods from OB in exchange for allowing his likeness to be used in promotional materials? If so then he's clearly not an amateur.

Please go back and read post 39 in case you missed it. And 38 also clarifies apa stance a little more.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked up brian parks winnings . # 241 a whopping 2,750.00. . I highly doubt those winnings are the majority of his income which would disqualify him as an amateur under apa guidelines.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked up brian parks winnings . # 241 a whopping 2,750.00. . I highly doubt those winnings are the majority of his income which would disqualify him as an amateur under apa guidelines.

Bingo. Lorider gets it,

APA is about as much as professional organisation as professional wrestling is real combat sports.

Since they approved my account here I have seen this topic beat to death, it is like Filler, CTE, or politics, people already got set opinions for the most part,

KurtMHodges

Registered
U

Why are you so interested in defending the stance that you can make as much as you want and be any skill you want and still be an amateur? I don’t care about the APA, the original question was about when should you not be allowed to be an amateur. This applies to APA, NAPA, BCA, TAP, etc...

If I could, I would delete this thread as it has been hijacked. If it makes you (or anyone else reading this) feel good to beat up on lesser competition. Good for you! Anyone with intelligence understands there is a point at which, for the integrity of the sport, governing bodies should act. Just because something is allowed, it doesn’t make it right or just. Look at all the people that bought a house and filed bankruptcy when it wasn’t worth what the paid. The rules allow it so it must be okay ��. The doctor will give me a handicapped tag cause I say I have some pain, so it must be okay��

Last edited:

KurtMHodges

Registered
Bingo. Lorider gets it,

APA is about as much as professional organisation as professional wrestling is real combat sports.

Since they approved my account here I have seen this topic beat to death, it is like Filler, CTE, or politics, people already got set opinions for the most part,

Ain’t that the truth. I genuinely wondered what people thought was a fair standard for being an amateur, and got a melee of people trying to defend silly notions. This will be my last question on this forum.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ain’t that the truth. I genuinely wondered what people thought was a fair standard for being an amateur, and got a melee of people trying to defend silly notions. This will be my last question on this forum.

Anyone with intelligence understands there is a point at which

Anyone who don't agree with you must not be intelligent I guess, very classy of you.

Well Good riddance , don't let the door hit you where the lord split ya.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Just an observation here, peeps. You guys don't seem to be applying a consistent standard when you say "Well, if he doesn't earn his LIVING at the game (omgwtffrothatthemouthlikearabiddog), then he's not a PRO!!!!!!"

Ahem...

Steve Mizerak was a school teacher and won multiple championships while his main vocation was a schoolteacher.

Irving Crane was a car salesman.

Harold "Boola" Worst was a shoe salesman by trade.

You guys would be out of your minds to say players of this caliber should be allowed in any amateur championship.

I rest my case.

Short Bus Russ

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U

Why are you so interested in defending the stance that you can make as much as you want and be any skill you want and still be an amateur? I don’t care about the APA, the original question was about when should you not be allowed to be an amateur. This applies to APA, NAPA, BCA, TAP, etc...

If I could, I would delete this thread as it has been hijacked. If it makes you (or anyone else reading this) feel good to beat up on lesser competition. Good for you! Anyone with intelligence understands there is a point at which, for the integrity of the sport, governing bodies should act. Just because something is allowed, it doesn’t make it right or just. Look at all the people that bought a house and filed bankruptcy when it wasn’t worth what the paid. The rules allow it so it must be okay 😏

Wow ! It was not my intention to hurt tour feelings at all. Maybe I have been on here a little too long and became insensitive like so many posters on here and did not realize it until now.

Why am I defending my stance ? I have played apa for going on 8 years now and I happen to care about how that organization is perceived on this forum.

As to your question of she a player should not be allowed to be an amateur in a league. As for apa your question is answered in posts 38 and 39 of this thread. You may not like the answer but it is what it is.

Bcapl ....some one mentioned that a Fargo rate of 721 defines a pro in that league. I guess Brian would be considered in that league but we are talking about the us amateur which is hosted by apa.

I honestly do not know what tap..vnea ... And Napa guidelines are in defining a pro player.

Feeling good about beating up on lesser competition ? dude I am an apa 5/5 . I het the crap beat out of me a.lot and I hate playing 3's and 4's lol.

Intelligence ? Integrity of the sport ? Governing bodies should act ? Man....your Las paragraph is so far out there and way off base and is in no way...shape...or form comparable to Brian parks being allowed to play in the us amateur. Not trying to be mean spirited towards you but I just dont see the anology there.

Your last sentence....the rules allow it so it must be ok. I can see your point there some what..i dont agree with certain rules some times and.when that happens I don't give that particular organization any of my business. Along those lines ....its apa's tournament....their rules....their format....their guidelines on who is an amateur a d who is a pro. If you feel their rules are wrong dont play in their tournament...simple as that.

A piece of friendly advice if j may.. If you are gonna hang around this forum you need to grow some thicker skin my man.:grin:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an observation here, peeps. You guys don't seem to be applying a consistent standard when you say "Well, if he doesn't earn his LIVING at the game (omgwtffrothatthemouthlikearabiddog), then he's not a PRO!!!!!!"

Ahem...

Steve Mizerak was a school teacher and won multiple championships while his main vocation was a schoolteacher.

Irving Crane was a car salesman.

Harold "Boola" Worst was a shoe salesman by trade.

You guys would be out of your minds to say players of this caliber should be allowed in any amateur championship.

I rest my case.

Short Bus Russ

She brian parks achieves what they did I will agree that he is not an amateur.