"Old Timers" mad Respect, tell us more!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
From and old Fart pool player who started playing recreational pool back in the 50's. I can't talk about tournaments, famous players, etc because in a small town we only knew who the "Sharks" were in every pool room. To me one of the big changes from my early years era were personal pool cues in cases. Most everybody played with the house cues and usually had their favorite. House rules were the only rules that mattered. We played with balls that were mostly discolored, dented or chipped. Moved to the big cities when I got out of college and the Navy. Still saw similar situations but a lot of players had their own cue, case and reputation. Got to see Tuscaloos Squirrel and Willie Hoppe - what an educatiion. There were still House rules but more and more the noted rules of big organizations were the norm. For some reason, from the 70's&on, is kind of a blur because of family replacing pool playing time. Now equipment is so much better in terms of cues but not sure the tables are any better than those heavy thick slate tables we had in the 50's and 60's

We were still using house cues in the 60's and 70's because if you walked in a poolroom with a two piece cue and case you were suspected of being a hustler. I used to find a good hiding place for a house cue that I liked (like in the closet for the hot water heater :wink:) and if I couldn't do that I made some kind of mark on it so I could distinguish it from the other house cues. I carried my own "tools" to shape the tip and smooth out the shaft to make a house cue more playable.

The only time I would go to my car and get my cue was if I had a tough game with a good player who was also using his own cue. I tend to agree with you about the old tables. The Anniversary/Centennial was as good as any table ever made and better than most. The Sport King was another excellent table made by Brunswick. AMF, National and Topline were other good tables from that era.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Clinton Iowa was where all the "best of the best" gathered

C. J how you doing .I should have said gambling,because it never stopped my love of this game.I recently found an old friend Dave Yeager .I took Dave to Johnson City in 69 that lite his fire.Dave cuold jump that big rock like a red circle.Like to see you out again hell your still a kid.

I always liked Dave Yeager, he was an awesome player, with a high caliber stroke. He played the "TOI Style" and matched up with everyone on the bar box. Omaha John and Bennie Conway respected him and I'm pretty sure he beat both of them at one time or another.

And yes, he could jump the "big rock" like it was a ping pong ball. :)

I was at a tournament one time where he broke and made 7 balls on the break playing 9-Ball and hooked himself on the next ball......they talked about that for months after it was over. Clinton Iowa was where all the "best of the best" gathered and not too many wanted a piece of Dave.......McCready was the only one he probably wouldn't have played, and maybe Matlock and Buddy Hall as well.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Waiting on the big news, I don't think I missed it. Anyway couple of us are waiting on your personal review, has the package landed?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can already tell the Magic Chalk is top quality.

Waiting on the big news, I don't think I missed it. Anyway couple of us are waiting on your personal review, has the package landed?

Yes, thank you, I started using it yesterday with some lessons and today as well. Haven't really had time to play, however, I can already tell the Magic Chalk is top quality. I'll give it the (touch of) inside review in the next couple of days.......so far, so good though.

Thanks again, now when I get some Cyclop balls I can really get in the "review mode". ;)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Besides the Chalk!!

Yes, thank you, I started using it yesterday with some lessons and today as well. Haven't really had time to play, however, I can already tell the Magic Chalk is top quality. I'll give it the (touch of) inside review in the next couple of days.......so far, so good though.

Thanks again, now when I get some Cyclop balls I can really get in the "review mode". ;)

Waiting on the other really big news, keep me posted via PM. Magic Chalk is great and way less messy, but I know you have bigger plans we want to get in on. THx Tom

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That story sparked a memory of losing to a guy with one arm in a bar in Jacksonville, Illinois. Quarter on the rail, dollar a game. I doubt if he could have played on a 9' table because he rested the cue on the rail for every shot but on a barbox he could run a rack. He held the table long enough to beat everybody who wanted to play him, including me.

I've always wondered if this was just some local guy or if there was a well known one armed pool player who could play decent pool on a bar box. Have you ever heard of a one armed guy who fits that description? This was in the late 1960's and he was probably 30 or 40 years old, medium build white man.

One arm Willie?

"you can't hustle an honest man"

All sports are popular because of gambling, anyone that doesn't believe that needs to be "beamed up". ;)

11061248_817907301577795_8720329568738310959_n.jpg

Complete drivel, as ever.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB 2018 - six posters, 15 threads a day about how great the old days were, each with three replies.

And Scott Lee, bumping an "I enjoyed my lesson with Scott Lee / I just booked my lesson with Scott Lee / I'm looking forward to my lesson with Scott Lee / Scott Lee does lessons: who knew?" thread incessantly.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
Anybody who has stories please let is kids know, I'm 37 and a kid when you tell me what you did back in the day. We need to carry on the tradition and can only do it if you guys lest us know what happend 20,30 or even 40 years ago. Much respect and appreciation to my elders. THx in advance. PS Jerry for HOF

When I was your age I had to walk 127 miles to the pool hall, with my brother on my back.

It was uphill both ways and 115 degrees outside with hip deep snow year round.

Cues were 18 inches long and the tables were all 15 footers with 2 inch pockets and 3 inch balls.

Table time was four cents per hour and they made us play blindfolded in the dark.

But we liked it ... we didn't know any better and were grateful to have what we did.

When I was your age I had to walk 127 miles to the pool hall, with my brother on my back.

It was uphill both ways and 115 degrees outside with hip deep snow year round.

Cues were 18 inches long and the tables were all 15 footers with 2 inch pockets and 3 inch balls.

Table time was four cents per hour and they made us play blindfolded in the dark.

But we liked it ... we didn't know any better and were grateful to have what we did.

Such hardship explains a lot, larr.

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my all-time favorite pool hustlers/gamblers was named "Cornbread Red" from Detroit. He bet more money in a game than many will wager in a lifetime. Here's my version of one of the funniest stories about Cornbread and his "hustling days" on the road.

"Cornbread Red" was hustling pool down south and was told this "huge red-neck" would go off for a lot of money gambling, and he considered pool his "best game".
Cornbread went into the bar his "steer-man" said this red-neck was at and saw him sitting by the bartender having a shot and a beer.

Cornbread marched right up to the guy and tapped him boldly on the shoulder..

"What's your best game buddy?" said Cornbread in a menacing tone.

The guy turned around and said "Fighting's my best game!!!" and hit Corn right in "the kisser" knocking him back over some tables and chairs and flat on his back!!!

Cornbread raised up, shook himself off, trying to bring himself back to consciousness. Picking himself up, still dazed from the punch he saw the guy in the same chair, now finishing his beer.

Corn stood up, and marched right back up to the guy, tapping him on the shoulder again!!! "What's your 2nd best game buddy?"

The guy turned around and said "pool's my 2nd best game!"

Cornbread quickly busted the guy out of all his money and headed to the next "spot," with a black eye and a pocket full of money.
'The Game is the Teacher'

I grew up playin with Billy (Corn...). LOTS of great stories that can't be repeated. Lol I also learned a lot from Harry Sexton AKA 9-ball Harry, AKA Poochy. Poochy ALWAYS lined up his shots with low left contact, but suddenly hit where needed. I asked him why.. "Never let anyone know what you can and cannot do until you need to do it". WOW!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe he played 9-Ball slightly better than Cornbread,

I grew up playin with Billy (Corn...). LOTS of great stories that can't be repeated. Lol I also learned a lot from Harry Sexton AKA 9-ball Harry, AKA Poochy. Poochy ALWAYS lined up his shots with low left contact, but suddenly hit where needed. I asked him why.. "Never let anyone know what you can and cannot do until you need to do it". WOW!

I knew Poochy (Harry Sexton), and hung out with him many times at The Rack.

He was a well respected bar table player and broke the balls extremely well off the rail (near the middle of the table).

He played well on the big tables too, although we never could match up a game. I believe he played 9-Ball slightly better than Cornbread, and was probably the underdog playing One-Pocket.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We were still using house cues in the 60's and 70's because if you walked in a poolroom with a two piece cue and case you were suspected of being a hustler. I used to find a good hiding place for a house cue that I liked (like in the closet for the hot water heater :wink:) and if I couldn't do that I made some kind of mark on it so I could distinguish it from the other house cues. I carried my own "tools" to shape the tip and smooth out the shaft to make a house cue more playable.

As usual, Jaybird knows the ropes...That is exactly what every good road hustler did !..If he didn't, he never made $2 gambling at pool ! ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I find myself wondering if this elderly gentleman was really an old man.....or.....

Anybody who has stories please let is kids know, I'm 37 and a kid when you tell me what you did back in the day. We need to carry on the tradition and can only do it if you guys lest us know what happend 20,30 or even 40 years ago. Much respect and appreciation to my elders. THx in advance. PS Jerry for HOF

I was hanging out at my pool room "CJ's" behind the bar of all places....I really didn't spend a lot of time back there, but this day was the exception. An older man came in, sat down and ordered a soda...I knew how to "mix" that one so I got it for him and set it down.

The man said "you are the professional pool player CJ aren't you?"....I replied "yes, that's me, unless I owe you money - LoL"....he laughed, took a drink and said, "no, you don't owe me money, but I would like to ask you a question that may result in some."

I suddenly felt him get serous and wondered what this older man was up to -

"sure, you can ask me whatever you want" I said, leaning against the cooler.....the man pointed at the pool table and ask "what are you trying to achieve playing that Game?"....

I hesitated, thought and replied "I'm trying to be the best player I can be, maybe even the best in the world, at least for a time-being".

The man place his napkin between us, looked into my eyes and said firmly -

"you know this Game you play is already perfect....it's up to you to uncover it" and immediately turned over the napkin and looked under it.....

"Do You Understand" he said firmly again "The Game is already perfect, it's just up to you to uncover that Perfection", again he lifted up the napkin, looked under it and then quickly back into my now de-focused stare.

His eyes by now felt like they were probing my very soul and I shifted a bit, suddenly feeling more clear, answered "I think I understand.....it's not me that has to be perfect, it's the game, so I don't need to try to be perfect, I just need to Uncover the Perfection that's already been placed there...in the Game.....by...uhhhh".

He smiled at my hesitation and finished "by the Breath of the Universe or The Breath of a Higher Power, right now that's not as important as you having Faith that it's true!

He then told me to hold on for a minute and went to his car and brought back a book called 'A Parenthesis in Eternity', that I read and still have to this day.....this was one of those occasions that influenced me so much I find myself wondering if this elderly gentleman was really an old man.....or.....angel (messenger)....surely not, that would be silly wouldn't it?.....hmmm, I still can't help but wonder...?"

'The Game is the Teacher'