Tip Steer

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It does the first, 5 inches of the shaft

Due to weight reductions not because it was tapered to be have spaghetti like spine.....think pjs just trying to be adamant about it because folks get confused as to causation and why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...think pjs just trying to be adamant about it because folks get confused as to causation and why
It’s a subtle difference, easy to confuse - and it probably doesn’t matter much if it’s understood correctly or not. But it might matter if you’re trying to design or choose a LD cue.

pj
chgo

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a subtle difference, easy to confuse - and it probably doesn’t matter much if it’s understood correctly or not. But it might matter if you’re trying to design or choose a LD cue.

pj
chgo

Whether more or faster but equal, for our purposes here, the point is there is movement and it is at least sometimes lateral. It seems to always be kind of a wobble. Then the player continues and presses the tip to the cloth and that stops the movement wherever it happens to be at the moment. They then evaluate their stroke based on the position of the tip on the cloth.

My point was pretty simple. There are a lot of forces beyond the control of the player which could produce a final resting point slightly off center. The harder the hit the less reliable the feedback.

With no cue ball the final resting place would seem a pretty reliable indicator but still not an indicator of what was happening with a hard hit into resistance.

Good is good and I don't know if there is any perfect test for stroke quality. This method seems to have value even if not perfect.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

pj

chgo

What I want to know is why they took the original shaft....added a ferrule, made the diameters bigger then smaller then shorter ferrules then made them out of slices then more slices....holy shit a lot of slices....hollow it out....oh more hollow please....shorter ferrule....ok remove the slices and dices....ohhh carbon fiber with no ferrule in limited expensive quantities in only 2 sizes ! Cf ferruleless in smeedium and .1mm under the norm..Perfect

If they all tried ferruleless wood it would be all good.....no magic military fibers necessary. Tried and tested for ohhh 200 years or so.

Some people don’t believe the universe be what it be....but it do

I do think the revo plays well but I just don’t get the hooplah not price and availability....total gaffe end of day imop

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I want to know is why they took the original shaft....added a ferrule, ...
If the shaft is wood, you need a ferrule to keep it from splitting. A simple pad turns out to be not quite as good because it doesn't protect the wood as well as a ferrule and the wood tends to get pulverized.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If the shaft is wood, you need a ferrule to keep it from splitting. A simple pad turns out to be not quite as good because it doesn't protect the wood as well as a ferrule and the wood tends to get pulverized.

If shooting with the last layer of a laminated tip due to laze.....toss in a good miscue with that frog skin then sure sure

Proper maintaining of the tip should be a given, just like predator voids that warranty if you touch the taint between the tip and the end of the shaft.

I’ve been using ferruleless shafts for a decade and broke with one as my regular breaking cue for 5 years. I committed the crime I mentioned above and it took a chunk out the side of my tip and a sliver 3/16” long 1/16 deep from the edge.

My fault, careless and lazy the sloppy stroke and lazy with replacing the tip.

So I felt it necessary to resolve the damage....and have it play a little tighter still.

So I did. It’s been fixed for 4 years now going on five and moved up to one of my two daily’s during that time.

Still haven’t seen any ill effects to it. I’ve owned and played with precentury cues to early turn of...well played, no damage could be discerned via sight touch and feel of the shot.

Dennis felt pretty strongly about that too and the topic was actually one of our last great conversations, as builders I know we were not alone, and not all builders makers or pool players or fakers have much for intimate wood knowledge.

Use and abuse are not one in the same and it’s self serving to chalk up said butchery as some kind of design flaw.

I see pics of broken revos. broken/delaminating and or busted up to hell ferrule Lucasi hybrids, Meucci black dots, red dots, Custom flat and pie lams from various makers and suppliers and every predator made including the revo and again so many busted ferrules they would have had a tsb recall if they were drivable.

Where’s all the pics and threads about the busted up shafts because they lacked a ferrule?

I wanna see some sciency stuff and a stack of polaroids of all this weak wood runnin round out chere haha