Is Southwest the best?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
What's that say about the big dollar cues that aren't used by champions?

I feel the same way about George and Gus, their stables proved all you needed to know about cues. The champions that used them, BOUGHT them.

Sponsorship, is not a sign of the cue being important, its a perk for being at the top of your game. If your game suffers as a result, what does that tell you?

SW is a solidly built cue, I have had a couple that played great. I prefer a steel jointed dreadnought though. :)

SW cues earned the reputation they have.

JV

Yes l picked 2015 since it just happened to keep it relevant.
If you took the top Asian Pro's listed below, playing Rotation pool 9-10 Ball all with their South Wests, can any other 5 top them?
They play with SW because they believe they are the best, not because they are sponsored by them. That in itself should be some kind of proof to the quality of play of a SW cue.

Wu Chia Ching
Ko Pin Yi
Ko Ping Chung
Kevin Cheng
Yu Lung Chang ( Patrick )

Woman's - Ga Young Kim & Siming Chen may be the two top in a lot of people's book, and they play SW. When Ga Young Kim got sponsored by another company after years of winning with SW, she started to not win. After her sponsorship ended, and she went back to her Ebony SW, she is winning again.
Is that a coincidence? I do not think so!

I will leave it alone, because l know how the feathers get ruffled about SW cues.

Like l said earlier, l am a buyer if you hate yours, call me!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Too hard, too stiff, too back heavy, etc..."MEH" I hear this this ALL the time. What I NEVER hear is TOO SOLID or NOT SOLID ENOUGH. Ya know why? Because SW's have been one of the most consistently built cues since the early 80's. They just KNOW how to make cues. Couple that with their stellar finishing work and there's your recipe for success. Their waiting list and secondary market prove it.

Ive played with enough SW's to form an opinion that their feedback throughout the entire stroke range and the the way they move the cue ball is very good.

The OP asked if they were the "best". To me thats a very "broad" question and you can have MANY different variables when taking all cues and their aspects into consideration but for sure one thing South West IS the best at is CUSTOMER ACQUISITION. That may very well say enough.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too hard, too stiff, too back heavy, etc..."MEH" I hear this this ALL the time. What I NEVER hear is TOO SOLID or NOT SOLID ENOUGH. Ya know why? Because SW's have been one of the most consistently built cues since the early 80's. They just KNOW how to make cues. Couple that with their stellar finishing work and there's your recipe for success. Their waiting list and secondary market prove it.

Ive played with enough SW's to form an opinion that their feedback throughout the entire stroke range and the the way they move the cue ball is very good.

The OP asked if they were the "best". To me thats a very "broad" question and you can have MANY different variables when taking all cues and their aspects into consideration but for sure one thing South West IS the best at is CUSTOMER ACQUISITION. That may very well say enough.
Not sure whats ''Meh'' when it comes to the opinion of others. If many claim there back heavy, then there must be some validity to this. Maybe not everybody feels like this but alot do. I know a really great player who hated the hit of the Southwest he had, not to say it was poorly made but just didn't fit his style of play.
I don't think there is a over all best cue, but there is a best cue for each individual player. Finding it though could take awhile.

BABYfrHEAVEN

Registered
Sorry, I'm new here, I don't want to make another thread about SW cue. I just wonder what took them so long just to make a cue? some up to 13 years of waiting???, come on!!!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
SVB can beat 99.99999% of every Southwest cues owner with a Cuetec that anyone can buy shipped within 3 days. Just sayin'.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its not that they take that long to make. They have enough customers on their waiting list that it takes 13 years before they can start a order from today.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB can beat 99.99999% of every Southwest cues owner with a Cuetec that anyone can buy shipped within 3 days. Just sayin'.

Ain't that the truth.

That's exactly my point too.

Buy a cue (any production will do just fine), play it for years, get used to it.

Perhaps that cue will then be "better" than any SW out there.

After all if you have to wait 13 years for SW just imagine how used to your cue you'll be by then.

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had the chance to try one and don't know anyone personally that owns one other than members here. Some members here who I have a lot of respect for say they are the best playing cue ever built. I have to imagine they do not all play the same just because wood is wood. For those that have or do play with one, please provide your opinion on playability and if you prefer another builder who it may be, only if you have experience with Southwest Cues. I love Runde cues, but also wonder if I'm missing out by not having a chance to play a Southwest?

to the OP.....

yes, nothing hits like a southwest or a gina. they are what they are for a reason.

:)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gina

to the OP.....

yes, nothing hits like a southwest or a gina. they are what they are for a reason.

:)

I have not heard any negative reviews of Gina cues. If I could have either in my collection it would be a Gina. I was interested in knowing if Southwest cues play as well as a lot of people say.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As good as Southwest is, and they're good, Tony Drago here seems to me to be using a regular house cue that's been jointed.
There are a couple of close ups where you can see the conical taper and all the rest of it.
Don't know if he would have done any better with a SW, somehow I doubt it.

https://youtu.be/1WYAhhp84Oo?t=3m28s

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if they close with 13 years worth of money for undelivered cues? Seems like a scam. No cue is worth 13 years.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
What happens if they close with 13 years worth of money for undelivered cues? Seems like a scam. No cue is worth 13 years.

its always been my understanding that you call to get on the order list. There is no deposit, no money exchanged. U get on the list and wait for them to call to ask what u want your cue to be like. When they get ready to ship u pay for ur cue.

If Southwest actually took and required deposits to place an order, u can be rest assured that the 13 year wait list would drop significantly. I would love to have a Southwest in my collection. I cant afford one, and im not going to wait 13 years for one. When I have the money to spend for a Southwest cue I know who to contact to be able to get one. And I wont have to wait 13 years for delivery.

There is no scam when it comes to Southwest and their wait list. Just alot of people who figure what the hell, I will put my name on the list and hope that I have the money to pay when my name gets called up. And in the meantime they can brag to their playing buddies that they are on the list and can say how long they have to wait to get their cue. I find that kind of ridiculous. But oh well, to each their own.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
its always been my understanding that you call to get on the order list. There is no deposit, no money exchanged. U get on the list and wait for them to call to ask what u want your cue to be like. When they get ready to ship u pay for ur cue.

If Southwest actually took and required deposits to place an order, u can be rest assured that the 13 year wait list would drop significantly. I would love to have a Southwest in my collection. I cant afford one, and im not going to wait 13 years for one. When I have the money to spend for a Southwest cue I know who to contact to be able to get one. And I wont have to wait 13 years for delivery.

There is no scam when it comes to Southwest and their wait list. Just alot of people who figure what the hell, I will put my name on the list and hope that I have the money to pay when my name gets called up. And in the meantime they can brag to their playing buddies that they are on the list and can say how long they have to wait to get their cue. I find that kind of ridiculous. But oh well, to each their own.

Also they can sell their spot to someone else if they can't afford one when their number comes up or if they can afford it they can sell it for more than they paid for it to the many that think these cues are more than what they are

Tittyhooked

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant say that SW is the best however, I have played with and or owned over 30+ different cues from custom cue makers and my top 3 cues are all pre date Franklins. I have owned 7 different SW's 3 of which had BEM forearms that honestly were nothing special. Richard Harris builds my second favorite cue which plays very close to SW for a fraction of the cost.