Classless Earl Strickland

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was at the Hangelar Open the weekend just past. I have to say, he has gone down massively in my estimation.

1. Constantly complaining about nothing
2. Complaining that the crowd are respecting his opponents, not him (Blatantly untrue)
3. Calling his opponent a little retard on several occasions while he was being beaten by a 17 year old Dutch kid.
4. In between he did nothing to justify his appearance fee, no mingling, just walked around on his own with a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.
5. When he got beaten, his opponent extended his hand, and Earl put his fingers in his ears.

Anyway, **** him, he got kicked out last 32. May be a great pool player, but is a absolute train wreck of a person...

Maybe he wasn't always like this, but this is what I saw at the weekend.

BTW. The other special guest was Efren, he sat and played chess with people, very cheery and approachable. He acted like an ambassador to the sport rather than a whiney little biatch.

Last edited:

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
It's all part of the show. Earl plays the bad guy, Efren plays the good guy.

Same ol' story...

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was at the Hangelar Open the weekend just past. I have to say, he has gone down massively in my estimation.

2. Complaining that the crowd are respecting his opponents, not him (Blatantly untrue)
3. Calling his opponent a little retard on several occasions while he was being beaten by a 17 year old Dutch kid.
4. In between he did nothing to justify his appearance fee, no mingling, just walked around on his own with a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

Anyway, **** him, he got kicked out last 32. May be a great pool player, but is a absolute train wreck of a person...

BTW. The other special guest was Efren, he sat and played chess with people, very cheery and approachable. He acted like an ambassador to the sport rather than a whiney little biatch.

It's really a shame. As hot as his fire burned in his prime to make him one of the all time greatest, it will also burn just as hot in his demise. What a shame to look ahead at his inevitable end. It won't be pretty or financially secure in the least. He is burning up all he has left, and then he won't have anything but a cardboard box under some bridge somewhere. Really sad that he won't seek the help he needs.

Someone close to him really needs to do an intervention type thing with him. He needs psychiatric help big time. He won't be able to play like he once did, but he can't do that now anyways. With help, he could learn to still do exhibitions and lessons and have a few sponsors. Without the help, he won't have anything much longer.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, maybe I just hadn't realised how much of an a$$hole he actually is. I knew all about the complaining, but didn't realise how much he disrespects his opponents.

I saw him outside having a cigarette just after he lost. Said "Beautiful Day eh!".. He just turned his back on me. I thought it was nice dishing a little back ;)

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Oil and Water........

Can you imagine what we will see in another 10 years.

Crotchety old cuss, compounded with 7 different Michelin Man weights, hinged at the elbow, with a slightly forward balanced 94 inch cue, custom fitted blinders with the latest "Earl Beats" Headphones and he will still shoot your liver out.

Go Earl ....:thumbup: The Prince of Piss.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he did nothing to justify his appearance fee, no mingling, just walked around on his own with a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

Do you have a picture of this,as I am having a hardtime picturing this?:rolleyes:

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, Efren destroyed him in the Hong Kong reloaded challenge over thursday and friday evenings :D

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all part of the show. Earl plays the bad guy, Efren plays the good guy.

Same ol' story...

Efren doesn't play the good guy, he truly is the good guy. We had him come to our hotel here in the Philippines for 2 nights and he played 8 ball against 40 guests. He never said no to requests for pictures. When we were out for lunch at a large restaurant he was swamped with picture requests. Each time he put his fork down and stood up and smiled for the camera. It was a pleasure to be around him. I can't wait to do it again.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
He does this everywhere he goes. He seems to be an equal opportunity offender, in that he treats almost everyone equally badly. Everyone who's seen him in action tell the same tale. Doesn't matter if you are Nick Van Den Berg or a teenager at an exhibition, you have a good chance of receiving some verbal abuse from Strickland, so you'd better come prepared for that. That is no excuse for this kind of behavior, but everyone pretty much knows this by now.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that some day he will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and wind up getting hurt.
I know that back in the 60's in New Jersey it would have already happened.
Different era but that's the way it was then.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

5. When he got beaten, his opponent extended his hand, and Earl put his fingers in his ears.

I'm shocked a man who quit school at a young age to make a living in bars and pool halls hustling pool would act this way.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have never seen him on a dvd or in person. Anything else and it would not be Earl. When I was growing up there was a book, "THE UGLY AMERICAN"....well?:embarrassed2:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl The Churl

Funny, I was going to start a thread about Earl...

The above linked Bonus Ball video pretty much sums it up... Earl is going to wind up walking around downtown NY penniless, holding a cue and yelling at everyone, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??"

I think he is ADD, or something close... there's a switch that gets thrown, and once it does, that's it, he's off. There's a little 'persecution syndrome' thing going on too..."They're All Against Me"...

I watched Earl warming up for a match in SoCal, doing his extreme draw shots... he made a power draw, turned around to everybody watching, and yelled "DID YOU SEE WHAT I JUST DID??"

It's a shame really... Earl in his heyday was the most feared 9 baller ever, IMO.
His high gear was unreal... crush the break (with his player cue), two stroke every ball, perfect shape. Now he's just a complainer, the other guy's rolls, the table, the balls, the sound system, the crowd.