Rubber tips: do they reduce skidding and play better english?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I've heard rubber tips are rare but some players actually use them. I wonder, do they reduce CB skidding and play more intense english? Also, how do you maintain them? You can't just chalk them once they wear out. Do they have to be replaced?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I'm no expert, but I thought rubber tips were single-use only.
And I'm not sure about less skidding and more intense english, but I know some help reduce friction and increase pleasure.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played a rubber game once...
...I lost.

...so I chalked it up to experience.

The only reason I opened this thread was because I saw MahnaMahna
was the second poster and I figured he'd crack me up......
...what a rip-off...:angry:

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I played a rubber game once...
...I lost.

...so I chalked it up to experience.

The only reason I opened this thread was because I saw MahnaMahna
was the second poster and I figured he'd crack me up......
...what a rip-off...:angry:

Lol my bad

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard rubber tips are rare but some players actually use them. I wonder, do they reduce CB skidding and play more intense english? Also, how do you maintain them? You can't just chalk them once they wear out. Do they have to be replaced?

Skidding is not caused by the tips, you probably mean miscues. You don't chalk tips when they wear out you chalk them to maintain friction.

This post reminds me of something I heard two players say about chalk.

One was chalking and asked the other "what's chalk for anyway". The second guy said "well, you see how some falls on the table? It's to season the table so it plays better". Still my best clueless about pool story but you're very close to surpassing that one.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Porper makes rubber tips. I bought a few. Thought they were for breaking. I installed one
for a friend on his breaker. He didn't complain but I don't think he was overly impressed with it either.

Other than that, I haven't tried one out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they actually came out with a rubber tip that felt like the Kamui that was firm yet pliable I may try one. Although I think that it would be too bouncy off the cueball, it would have to be pretty firm.

It's one of my favorite things about the Kamui Black Soft tips when they are new, they are firm enough to keep their shape and not feel mushy, yet pliable enough to have some give and grab, like an eraser. I guess someone could come up with a rubber formula that would feel similar.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
This post reminds me of something I heard two players say about chalk.

One was chalking and asked the other "what's chalk for anyway". The second guy said "well, you see how some falls on the table? It's to season the table so it plays better". Still my best clueless about pool story but you're very close to surpassing that one.

I see some banger types apply chalk - not talc, mind you, but actual cue tip chalk - to their hands to make the cue "glide through their hands better". Cracks me up. Don't those guys know that chalk was made to INCREASE friction?

That doesn't beat your story though.

Fatz

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
If they actually came out with a rubber tip that felt like the Kamui that was firm yet pliable I may try one. Although I think that it would be too bouncy off the cueball, it would have to be pretty firm.

It's one of my favorite things about the Kamui Black Soft tips when they are new, they are firm enough to keep their shape and not feel mushy, yet pliable enough to have some give and grab, like an eraser. I guess someone could come up with a rubber formula that would feel similar.

I think people are always trying to re-invent the wheel. You have to look at things in terms of properties, and see if those properties need minor tweaks. As opposed to making wholesale changes for the sake of change (or marketing). It's the evolutionary approach, it's natural. You change something gradually, only where a new material or technology allows the improvement. New inventions are great. But inventions that already exist are only tweaked.

Take balls. Sheesuz Chrises. Everybody wants to change the balls' colors. Accustats yellow and red, gimme a break. Cyclops mauve, chartruse, tope, powder blue, puuuleeees! With "tournament blue" cloth, very little needs to be done with ball colors. Why not leave them the same as much as possible? At the most, I would only tweak the purple balls to a SLIGHTLY lighter shade of purple to differentiate them from the blue balls or the black ball. I like the tan color for the 7/15. THERE, that's it. That is all you need to tweak to solve the problem.

Now, what was I saying, oh yah...

Looking at it from the perspective of properties. Tips need to have the right hardness (firm yet pliable) and have the right degree of surface friction. It's really that simple. If someone ever comes up with a new material that can out-perform leather, then great. But guess what? It won't out-perform leather by a whole lot (one major improvement could come from longevity maybe, but that's a different topic). And that material won't be rubber. Rubber has been around for along time. We would all be using it by now if it were the best material.

Fatz

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I think people are always trying to re-invent the wheel. You have to look at things in terms of properties, and see if those properties need minor tweaks. As opposed to making wholesale changes for the sake of change (or marketing). It's the evolutionary approach, it's natural. You change something gradually, only where a new material or technology allows the improvement. New inventions are great. But inventions that already exist are only tweaked.

Take balls. Sheesuz Chrises. Everybody wants to change the balls' colors. Accustats yellow and red, gimme a break. Cyclops mauve, chartruse, tope, powder blue, puuuleeees! With "tournament blue" cloth, very little needs to be done with ball colors. Why not leave them the same as much as possible? At the most, I would only tweak the purple balls to a SLIGHTLY lighter shade of purple to differentiate them from the blue balls or the black ball. I like the tan color for the 7/15. THERE, that's it. That is all you need to tweak to solve the problem.

Now, what was I saying, oh yah...

Looking at it from the perspective of properties. Tips need to have the right hardness (firm yet pliable) and have the right degree of surface friction. It's really that simple. If someone ever comes up with a new material that can out-perform leather, then great. But guess what? It won't out-perform leather by a whole lot (one major improvement could come from longevity maybe, but that's a different topic). And that material won't be rubber. Rubber has been around for along time. We would all be using it by now if it were the best material.

Fatz

I agree. But if I wanted my custom cue and equipment, I would be looking for a tip which is least prone to miscues, especially when shooting hard. I wouldn't mind a minor drop in accuracy, which I already lack, or some other properties I don't really give a damn about. The only thing I would need is a tip that could survive a lot of top speed shots without damaging (I wouldn't like replacing them twice a week), and could "stick well" to the CB even if I make a smaller mistake while shooting. I'd rather give the CB some unintentional english than have it roll at 45 degrees away from the planned direction or fly off the table.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

You're getting unfairly bashed here.

I don't know if they sell rubber tips anymore. They were a short-lived experiment I think. I'm sure someone who collects old Mueller/Cornhusker Billiard Supply Catalogs can scan a page. And I'm sure there are tip experimenters out there like Renfro and Jaden that have toyed with the idea.

I suppose you would get less skidding if chalk wasn't needed. But I think (memory is awful) those rubber tips were meant to be chalked.

If someone made a low durometer rubber tip with the intention of not using chalk, then the Rubber tips could potentially have too much friction causing reverse squirt.

Not much info for you, but your question is a valid one. Check Dr Dave's site and search for 'rubber tips'.

Freddie <~~~ could never use the rubber tips

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes me want to go get a super ball and shape it down into a tip to see how it would play.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member

I agree. But if I wanted my custom cue and equipment, I would be looking for a tip which is least prone to miscues, especially when shooting hard. I wouldn't mind a minor drop in accuracy, which I already lack, or some other properties I don't really give a damn about. The only thing I would need is a tip that could survive a lot of top speed shots without damaging (I wouldn't like replacing them twice a week), and could "stick well" to the CB even if I make a smaller mistake while shooting. I'd rather give the CB some unintentional english than have it roll at 45 degrees away from the planned direction or fly off the table.

This already exists with leather tips.

I was replying to hang-the-9's post.

If you wouldn't mind a minor drop in accuracy, then why would you care about skids. "A lot of top speed shots" huh? You don't want the cue ball to go off the intended line by 45 degrees and you say you don't want unintentional english. From what you have said before, you don't play for position. That being the case, it doesn't matter if you miss a shot by one mm or by one foot. It sounds like you literally just BANG the balls around as hard as you can. That being the case, you are overly concerned with what material your tip is.

That being the case, the other posters are overly concerned with replying to your bogus questions...

Again, I was replying to hang-the-9's post. He was genuinely pondering a different material.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I hear Bridgestone make one that passes the sleeping baby test....

I don't know how I found my way out of NPR...sorry

:cool:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
This already exists with leather tips.

I was replying to hang-the-9's post.

If you wouldn't mind a minor drop in accuracy, then why would you care about skids. "A lot of top speed shots" huh? You don't want the cue ball to go off the intended line by 45 degrees and you say you don't want unintentional english. From what you have said before, you don't play for position. That being the case, it doesn't matter if you miss a shot by one mm or by one foot. It sounds like you literally just BANG the balls around as hard as you can. That being the case, you are overly concerned with what material your tip is.

That being the case, the other posters are overly concerned with replying to your bogus questions...

Again, I was replying to hang-the-9's post. He was genuinely pondering a different material.

No, what I meant was that I want the CB to hit the intended ball accurately if I shoot at low to medium speed. If I'm bangin', than I still want my CB do go straight (a couple of mm don't really matter). I don't want to miscue and send the white into an opponent's ball or something like that. And if I make a mistake, I'd rather have CB go more or less straight and then do weird stuff (like extreme, top speed english and masse) AFTER it hits the target or at least a rail (can still give me lucky pockets/safeties). The fact is, when bangin' I don't need laser accuracy, I just need general direction. Regular tips either give me great accuracy or completely failed direction. I'd rather have less accuracy and an unpredictable CB to worry about, as long as the general direction is maintained. I hope you understand what I'm talking about now.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
''play better english''....

I love this statement, it makes me go :scratchhead:

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
No, what I meant was that I want the CB to hit the intended ball accurately if I shoot at low to medium speed. If I'm bangin', than I still want my CB do go straight (a couple of mm don't really matter). I don't want to miscue and send the white into an opponent's ball or something like that. And if I make a mistake, I'd rather have CB go more or less straight and then do weird stuff (like extreme, top speed english and masse) AFTER it hits the target or at least a rail (can still give me lucky pockets/safeties). The fact is, when bangin' I don't need laser accuracy, I just need general direction. Regular tips either give me great accuracy or completely failed direction. I'd rather have less accuracy and an unpredictable CB to worry about, as long as the general direction is maintained. I hope you understand what I'm talking about now.

Fix your stroke. Until you do that the tip won't matter. If the CB doesn't go straight when you are "bangin" but it does at low to medium speed, your problem isn't the tip, os going to a different tip material isn't going to fix it.

:cool: