Matching different shaft and butt joints
Old
  (#1)
cjweaver13
AzB Bronze Member
cjweaver13 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Matching different shaft and butt joints - 06-30-2015, 08:05 AM

My play cue is a 5/16x18 designed for piloted shafts. Can I use flat face shafts on it (granted there will an air gap)? Also Some of the shafts I want to try are only 5/16x14. Could I use these safely as long as the butt has the longer thread female end? I'm also curious if anybody is currently playing with a slightly different joint match-up. Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
pooln8r
AzB Silver Member
pooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 08:24 AM

You can use non-piloted shafts on a butt that is designed for piloted shafts as long as the thread is the same like 5/16- 18 to 5/16-18 but you cannot use a 5/16-14 shaft on a 5/16- 18 pin. There are cross thread extensions you can get that will allow you to use different thread types together but it will make the cue longer by at least 2 inches. The fit like an adapter between the shaft and existing joint pin. I got a set that did 5/16-14 Female to 3/8-10 male and a set that did 3/8 - 10 female to 5/16-14. I can use just about any shaft I have from almost any cue I have and I can join them together to get a 5 inch extension for 5/16-14 or 3/8-10. Pretty cool stuff. I got my sets made by AZB member: Newsheriffintwn. He was great to deal with and the products work great.

DO NOT try a 5/16-14 shaft on a 5/16-18 pin as the pin or shaft will get damaged/cross threaded.

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

Last edited by pooln8r; 06-30-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Old
  (#3)
RBC
Deceased
RBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-30-2015, 08:49 AM

You're certainly safe to use flat faced shafts of the same joint screw thread on piloted cues. It's likely that you won't even notice the difference.

But, a 5/16-14 and 5/16-18 joint thread and pin are completely different and won't interchange.

Royce

Royce Bunnell (RBC) unfortunately passed away on November 26th 2015. He is dearly missed by the OB family.

Please direct any questions you may have regarding OB products to sales@obcues.com via email or call 877-399-9901.

Thank you.

www.obcues.com

Old
  (#4)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 08:54 AM

On most cues, the pilot serves no purpose.

Cues
Old
  (#5)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

Cues - 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

Can I ask what cues it does serve a purpose on.

Personally I thought if the pin was a free floating pin then the piloted joint would be one of the best .

I prefer a 3/8 x 10 flat face personally .

MMike

Old
  (#6)
Agent 99
AzB Silver Member
Agent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Well not exactly .. with a piloted joint you can easily match a shaft to a butt perfectly.

The shaft OD is a constant and the centering of the insert is more precise.

No need to send in your butt to have a new shaft made, as well as being able to order a pre made off brand shaft that will fit perfectly.

Schon says that their piloted brass insert is one of the "secrets" behind their amazing hit ... and we can all take that for what it's worth...

Player: Becue Naked
Break: Mezz Pwr Bk Pro
Jump: Lomax

Old
  (#7)
mickb94
AzB Silver Member
mickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond reputemickb94 has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 09:14 AM

as far as air gap, the thread to thread joint is not air tight. nor is the brass insert that it sits in. so I wouldn't worry about that.

I hate pool almost as much as I love it!!!

Old
  (#8)
Fuji-whopper
Fargo: 457...play some?
Fuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

06-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortuarymike-nv View Post

The idea is that the pilot helps the pin locate the center plus increase the joint's surface area which helps transfer more energy from piece to piece........theoretically. Mike Lambros made the Ultra Joint which has a much larger pilot and very close tolerances so basically the joint is air tight and the pilot makes full contact to transfer all of the energy possible.......theoretically. Here is a pic:
Attached Images

Old
  (#9)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji-whopper View Post
Mike Lambros made the Ultra Joint which has a much larger pilot and very close tolerances so basically the joint is air tight and the pilot makes full contact to transfer all of the energy possible.......theoretically. Here is a pic:
I love this joint, a solution to a problem that didn't exist. The 3/8x10 Modified joint (flat-faced) transfers energy beautifully.

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#10)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Personally I thought if the pin was a free floating pin then the piloted joint would be one of the best .

I prefer a 3/8 x 10 flat face personally .

Serves a purpose on a Lambros Cue.

Old
  (#11)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member

06-30-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 99 View Post
Well not exactly .. with a piloted joint you can easily match a shaft to a butt perfectly.

The shaft OD is a constant and the centering of the insert is more precise.

No need to send in your butt to have a new shaft made, as well as being able to order a pre made off brand shaft that will fit perfectly.

Schon says that their piloted brass insert is one of the "secrets" behind their amazing hit ... and we can all take that for what it's worth...

Oh...that makes no sense.

Just mechanics
Old
  (#12)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

Just mechanics - 07-01-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Serves a purpose on a Lambros Cue.
LOL Not to get this off on the wrong foot on this topic.

The pilot is a guide to position the shaft ................................nothing else

The bolt on something that is piloted, is to hold the two pieces together and not to align.

On a cue that has a piloted shaft the pin is not free floating it is fixed.
Because the pin is fixed it also align the shaft.
The pilot is also aligning the shaft too and the pilots soul purpose is to only align the shaft.

Why do you need the fixed pin and the pilot system to align the shaft ?

Because the pin is fixed or not movable and the pilot system isn't going to move either I don't see how its possible that the pin and the piloted joint don't actually create stress between the two alignment systems .

I don't know how many of you guys have ever Dialed in a bell housing.
But it only has one aligning system and that is the pilot dowels .
The bolts hold the housing in place and the dowel pins guild the housing into its proper place ....

MMike

Old
  (#13)
Agent 99
AzB Silver Member
Agent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond reputeAgent 99 has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Oh...that makes no sense.
Sure it does ... what about it do you not understand?

Player: Becue Naked
Break: Mezz Pwr Bk Pro
Jump: Lomax

Old
  (#14)
ElCorazonFrio
Banned
ElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
LOL Not to get this off on the wrong foot on this topic.

The pilot is a guide to position the shaft ................................nothing else

The bolt on something that is piloted, is to hold the two pieces together and not to align.

On a cue that has a piloted shaft the pin is not free floating it is fixed.
Because the pin is fixed it also align the shaft.
The pilot is also aligning the shaft too and the pilots soul purpose is to only align the shaft.

Why do you need the fixed pin and the pilot system to align the shaft ?

Because the pin is fixed or not movable and the pilot system isn't going to move either I don't see how its possible that the pin and the piloted joint don't actually create stress between the two alignment systems .

I don't know how many of you guys have ever Dialed in a bell housing.
But it only has one aligning system and that is the pilot dowels .
The bolts hold the housing in place and the dowel pins guild the housing into its proper place ....
This isn't completely correct.

If the tolerances on the pilot are correct and the clearance of the threads is sufficient, the pilot will certainly act as a portion of the alignment feature.

The problem is, that cuemakers and their customers seem to think that a cue should be hard to screw together from the first turn to the last. For some reason they think that a too-tight fit between the pin and the female threads is a good thing. These people are either pandering or ignorant about thread fit and constraining of systems...or they just don't care.

Piloted shafts
Old
  (#15)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv

Piloted shafts - 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCorazonFrio View Post
This isn't completely correct.

If the tolerances on the pilot are correct and the clearance of the threads is sufficient, the pilot will certainly act as a portion of the alignment feature.

The problem is, that cuemakers and their customers seem to think that a cue should be hard to screw together from the first turn to the last. For some reason they think that a too-tight fit between the pin and the female threads is a good thing. These people are either pandering or ignorant about thread fit and constraining of systems...or they just don't care.
Well it would be nice if we were sitting down together discussing this over a glass of ice tea.
It would be allot easier to explain.

All of my big pin cues that are wood to wood screws, screw on friction free.

I am just a want a be cue maker but I prefer big pin cues 3/8 x 10 .. 3/8 x 11 is the hit I like .

Anyway I don't want to get this off topic But I have seen a ton of cheaper cues with piloted joints and rarely are they straight ....
A very un fair and untrue statement when it concerns higher end cues that are piloted joint.

MMike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: