Reload this Page This is Ames, Mister.
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
This is Ames, Mister.
Old
  (#1)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

This is Ames, Mister. - 05-25-2019, 08:13 PM

I don't know if it's been posted before, but I ran across this picture of Times Square from the early 1960's, with Ames Billiards in the shot. It was located at 160 West 44th Street, at Seventh Avenue.
Attached Images

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#2)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum View Post
I don't know if it's been posted before, but I ran across this picture of Times Square from the early 1960's, with Ames Billiards in the shot. It was located at 160 West 44th Street, at Seventh Avenue.
GREAT photo!!!

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titleist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist conversion
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#3)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Wow, I've lived in Manhattan for 35 years, and Times Square never looked like that since I've lived here. It's almost hard to fathom how high the rent on a place would be today on the corner of 44th and 7th Avenue.

Great picture! Thanks for sharing.

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-25-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Wow, I've lived in Manhattan for 35 years, and Times Square never looked like that since I've lived here. It's almost hard to fathom how high the rent on a place would be today on the corner of 44th and 7th Avenue.

Here is a picture of the inside of the Magic Cue, which was at 43rd and Broadway. The date on the New York Times article is August 13th, 1981. It was owned by Vince Sbarbati and had 38 tables. I played in a straight pool tournament there shortly after it opened in 1980. I think Vince found a way to make a small fortune running a pool hall near Times Square -- start with a large fortune. I don't think the place lasted long.

Name:  CropperCapture[311].jpg
Views: 935
Size:  94.1 KB

From that article, which was about the World 14.1 Tournament at the Roosevelt Hotel:
The Bronx Days Recalled

Some spoke with nostalgia of the poolrooms of the past. ''They were all dives,'' said Jake LaMotta, the former middleweight champion known as the Bronx Bull, who was a spectator at the tournament. ''The only home you had was the poolroom. What else you had to do in the Bronx?''

''After we came back from work, we always went there,'' the 60-year-old Bull recalled of his youth. ''By 'work' I mean stealing. Not that we stole anything, just stuff beginning with A - a truck, a car, a bike.''

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 05-25-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Old
  (#5)
Michael Andros
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post

Right? 15 - 20K p/mnth I'm guessing. If not more... I know CBGB got jacked up to ( if I recall correctly ) 8K p/mnth. So Hilly closed it. And that was the East Village, not Times Square.

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#6)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2019, 09:05 PM

it was played up in the movie but no one really went there.

Old
  (#7)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2019, 09:30 PM

Nice picture
Thanks for sharing

The Camel ad blowing smoke rings is world famous.

Last edited by Poolhall60561; 05-25-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Old
  (#8)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolhall60561 View Post
Nice picture
Thanks for sharing

you beat me to mentioning the picture caught the smoke ring.
i remember that ad

Old
  (#9)
jeephawk
AzB Gold Member
jeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond reputejeephawk has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 04:52 AM

Yep, here it is in action years before.
Attached Images

Old
  (#10)
jimmyco
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 05:35 AM

If you lost the shirt off your back, Arrow had you covered.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#11)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 05:54 AM

Gelmart is still around. One of the biggest in bras.

Old
  (#12)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolhall60561 View Post
Nice picture
Thanks for sharing

up the street a little bit is a Kent Cig sign, much less impressive than the Camel ne.

I miss the Checker cabs.

Love Elpine papaya drinks and frankfurters....haha

I guess Grays Papaya took em over.

Great Pics!

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#13)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Frankfurters, soon it became hotdogs
billiards became pool

Old
  (#14)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
Right? 15 - 20K p/mnth I'm guessing. If not more... I know CBGB got jacked up to ( if I recall correctly ) 8K p/mnth. So Hilly closed it. And that was the East Village, not Times Square.
Never actually went to CBGB..but in the seventies I was in the boutique business and between my brother-in-law and myself had a few stores, well the bunch, maybe ten, of us would occasionally wind up at an after hours place called Infinity which was directly across the street from CBGBs...what a freak joint...and what a blast. Recall driving back to Queens at 7:00 AM and always thinking..."back to sanity"...

Wasn't playing pool at the time, but before that, in my teens, visited Ames & 7/11 a few times.

Old
  (#15)
Michael Andros

05-26-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Never actually went to CBGB..but in the seventies I was in the boutique business and between my brother-in-law and myself had a few stores, well the bunch, maybe ten, of us would occasionally wind up at an after hours place called Infinity which was directly across the street from CBGBs...what a freak joint...and what a blast. Recall driving back to Queens at 7:00 AM and always thinking..."back to sanity"...

Wasn't playing pool at the time, but before that, in my teens, visited Ames & 7/11 a few times.
Jimmy - My closest ( real life ) friend ( actually, he's very much the brother I never had ) has lived in NYC since 80. Starting @ 87, I began going up for a week or two weeks at a time several times a year and over 30 years or so ended up visiting 40 times, so I got to know Manhattan ( and even Brooklyn but not as well ) pretty well. And knowing it as I do, I cannot POSSIBLY imagine what the East Village was like in the 70s. It must've been TOTALLY insane. Man I love NYC. It's a world all unto itself.

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: