Inherited a bunch of old cues

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
not sure about many of the them but John Guffey is(was?) a cuemaker from Oklahoma... I've seen some pretty nice stuff from him. Not sure how active he is anymore as it's been a while since I've seen or heard about anything he's built. A buddy of mine has an old Guffey conversion that while very plain, is well made and plays pretty sporty.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice would be to separate the cues which are signed or have a logo from the rest.

A cue which caught my attention in the first picture - 2nd cue above the cue with red forearm, red butt, black wrap. The cue appears to have veneers and windows with a steel joint. Is that one signed?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of cheap stuff in there with a few good ones thrown in. I'd say most are in the $50-100 range, with a few in the low hundreds. But you may have one of two that are worth more. You need to find someone knowledgeable in your area to appraise them for you. Hard to do that online.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider getting a scale and a set of calipers.

Get a cue friendly calipers. The one I bought last year for $30 would likely leave a mark on the cues. An alternative would be to use some fiberboard between the cue and caliper.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just joined this weekend, and I am in high hopes that some of you will be able to help me identify some older cues that I have inherited from my father-in-law. I have been shooting pool for about 25 years, and I am pretty well versed in the bigger name cue brands like McDermott, Meucci, Players, etc. But in this collection, I have found some brands that I had no idea about (John Guffey is one, and my father-in-law has a handwritten letter with the stick from John Guffey himself!), and there are some with no markings that I hope some of you can help me identify. I'm sure some are junk, but I'm also sure that some are great sticks. I'm going to post a few pictures today, and as I get thru more of them and come to the ones I have questions about, I will post them individually. 67 cues in all... Here they are.

WOW!
What an inheritance - Your father-in-law truly loved you..!
:thumb up:
Sorry for your loss...

joefullerton12

Registered
Hey guys, I am leaving for vacation today and will return on Tuesday. Then I will start in earnest on posting these sticks one or two at a time. I will try my best to start with the ones you guys have asked about. I really appreciate your help and expertise in identifying some of these cues. I am going to take your advice and buy the blue book of cues subscription online, although it will be of no use without knowing what you are looking for! So thanks again for your help! :thumbup::thumbup:

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
A lot of cheap stuff in there with a few good ones thrown in. I'd say most are in the $50-100 range, with a few in the low hundreds. But you may have one of two that are worth more. You need to find someone knowledgeable in your area to appraise them for you. Hard to do that online.

As always....JAY IS SPOT ON!!!!!!! Find someone in your area. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help.

vicieyem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry about your father-in-law..

But you got some nice Adam cues in that collection. Those are keepers. Enjoy them!:smile:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just joined this weekend, and I am in high hopes that some of you will be able to help me identify some older cues that I have inherited from my father-in-law. I have been shooting pool for about 25 years, and I am pretty well versed in the bigger name cue brands like McDermott, Meucci, Players, etc. But in this collection, I have found some brands that I had no idea about (John Guffey is one, and my father-in-law has a handwritten letter with the stick from John Guffey himself!), and there are some with no markings that I hope some of you can help me identify. I'm sure some are junk, but I'm also sure that some are great sticks. I'm going to post a few pictures today, and as I get thru more of them and come to the ones I have questions about, I will post them individually. 67 cues in all... Here they are.

Are you going to sell any of of the cues you inherited ?

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has already been mentioned, but you should:

GROUP BY MANUFACTURER; THEN GROUP THOSE UNKNOWN

You obviously have a number of Adams and Vikings. There are probably a couple Meuccis, Hueblers, Palmers, etc. Group each of these together. Then Take all the others that have no markings as a group and those with signatures as a group. This will allow "experts" on here to identify those that they are most familiar with. Good luck and my sincerest condolences to your family.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has already been mentioned, but you should:

GROUP BY MANUFACTURER; THEN GROUP THOSE UNKNOWN

You obviously have a number of Adams and Vikings. There are probably a couple Meuccis, Hueblers, Palmers, etc. Group each of these together. Then Take all the others that have no markings as a group and those with signatures as a group. This will allow "experts" on here to identify those that they are most familiar with. Good luck and my sincerest condolences to your family.

I agree and it they were my cues I would first get calipers and a scale to provide precise weight and diameter, then group the Adams together and post them with individual prices, Palmers together etc.

For unknown cues I'd take a few more detailed pictures and post them on the main forum first to get identity, then move to the wanted/for sale forum. As Jay Helfert said, there may be a couple worth some good money.

mmedford

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question; in the first picture; starting from the closest cue, Can anyone identify cues 3 & 5? The two with the colorful veneers.

Reposting my question, because I do not want it overlooked.

Thanks,
Mark

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss. Hope this post finds you and your family well. Good luck and have a good time with with discovering the identities of all the wonderful memories left behind!
Mikey

joefullerton12

Registered
I will certainly take all you guys suggestions into account. Thank you for the input and I look forward to sharing all these on here. Will be fun I think!

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
joe, if you are going take a picture of these cues individually, dont forget to take a shot of the joint pin, especially those "unknown" and unsigned cues.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
In the 2nd posting, 3rd cue from right (including the one that's cut off) with curly maple and purpleheart is a Ray Schuler. I believe that's an SC190. I gave one to a girlfriend once upon a time. It sold for $395 in 1994. Until Ray's death in 2002, he was the only cuemaker using that joint. He designed it and patented it.

Last edited: