Rare Guffey

Scothron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m trying to get more opinions on value of this cue. Guffey didn’t make many like this so finding comps has been difficult. The cue is all ebony and the white is all real. Even the checkered small squares around the joints are ivory. The only thing not real is the buttcap. It was replaced a few years ago and it had John Guffey on it in black. Sorry for the pics I can’t get them to scale down.

Attachments

• D5A41236-16F9-4731-9136-82B53BA7E782.jpg
    D5A41236-16F9-4731-9136-82B53BA7E782.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 498
  • A9A61442-C383-4F9C-A3F1-2177CA8B5681.jpg
    A9A61442-C383-4F9C-A3F1-2177CA8B5681.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 2C90D38E-8E5C-4FB2-8BF2-DDBFEDE78577.jpg
    2C90D38E-8E5C-4FB2-8BF2-DDBFEDE78577.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 489

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m trying to get more opinions on value of this cue. Guffey didn’t make many like this so finding comps has been difficult. The cue is all ebony and the white is all real. Even the checkered small squares around the joints are ivory. The only thing not real is the buttcap. It was replaced a few years ago and it had John Guffey on it in black. Sorry for the pics I can’t get them to scale down.

Beautiful cue! Did John pass away?

Scothron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew that he had passed, I looked into having him refinish it a while back and found out he wasn’t around anymore. I agree it’s a great looking cue, it hits pretty damn good as well. I have had a hard time finding many others that are on this level that he made.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I thought so Paul. He steered me around Oklahoma City a long time ago. He knew all the little poolrooms around town.

I'm in Tulsa-
Never met John,
But some of my local friends said He was a good pool player:smile:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was a pretty good player
i met him through Verl Horn

we visited him and played a few games on his home table

just knocking them around,maybe 2 games of one pocket

he showed me some moves on the table,i bought a few cues

After that day we never met again

Looking back,I have lost quite a few friends i met through pool

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm in Tulsa-
Never met John,
But some of my local friends said He was a good pool player:smile:

He was a pretty good player, grew up watching guys like Norman Hitchcock, Dick Lane, Buddy Hall, Don Owens, and bums like me. John was a low level shortstop that loved to play. He didn't really fuss too much about making a game. He wanted to be on that table hitting balls, not sitting on his ass watching.

He made me a plain Jane cue maybe 30 years ago that I gave away to a buddy a long time ago. I wish I had kept it now. I consider him a good friend from my past.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew that he had passed, I looked into having him refinish it a while back and found out he wasn’t around anymore. I agree it’s a great looking cue, it hits pretty damn good as well. I have had a hard time finding many others that are on this level that he made.

I'd like to buy that cue if you ever want to sell it. Thanks

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue is forsale. If you are interested, I can send more pics and cue specs to your email or something.

You know, I'm not so concerned about that here. I just want one of John's cues, and a very nice one to boot. That would make me happy. I know John really liked me as much as I liked him. He was a great kid all those years ago. Better yet, just send me your best price by PM on here and we'll go from there.