Who are couple of better cuemakers wood to wood joints ?

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leaving out Tasc, Boti, R. Black, Black Boar and the other steel jointed cuemakers. So who do you like wood flat faced. I started with Schon, moved to Black and Black Boar, but much prefer the hit of wood-wood. To me more feeling and not so stiff. I know Gilbert, Scruggs and Pierce hit real nice. Who do the AZ crew like for hit, performance in the wood to wood style of cue construction.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my 0.000002 dollars worth of an relatively new kid in the custom cue world.
I just bought a Judd and Jeff Olney and ordered a Josey that is due in 8 months.
Played with wrapless ebony Judd jt-1 ( 3/8/10) for 2 mths, soft - medium hit, soft and "unreliable" at times for power english shots, in my " honest opinion" , could be a flaw in my stroke!
Bought my Olney ( 3/8/10) n josey( radial ) based on a hell lotta excellent reviews on the Stiffness n reliability .
Will get my Olney in probably a mth and josey in 7mths.
will post review then.
Hope this helps and Good luck finding the anwsers u need !

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
My Steve Klapp old growth true sneaky is a 3/8x10 flat face. Really quite special. It lives in my trunk and does anything you want. The cue is the teacher.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Desi, Chuck Starkey would have been my first guess.

I bought one of Deano's line of Sneakies that he had commissioned.

Wood Pin and one of the nicest hitting and playing cues that I have had.

I learned to love that cue. Unfortunately, it turned into a banana.

Deano was nice enuff to send me his last cue, one that he was keeping for himself out of the deal. I tried it out and sent it back to him. Half regretting that now.

But anyway, I would go for a cue with a wood pin any day.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Jeff Olney

The 1st time you screw one together you just know it is going to be a real player. Those people that have will attest to it.
It's just my opinion and everyone has one.
Tommy

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guido Orlandi's new joint is the bees knees. It works like a cue stick should. It has a fantastic feel.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lambros and Sly have been my favorites I've tried. Basically anybody from Maryland is probably a safe bet :wink:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
:rolleyes:
Desi, Chuck Starkey would have been my first guess.

I bought one of Deano's line of Sneakies that he had commissioned.

Wood Pin and one of the nicest hitting and playing cues that I have had.

I learned to love that cue. Unfortunately, it turned into a banana.

Deano was nice enuff to send me his last cue, one that he was keeping for himself out of the deal. I tried it out and sent it back to him. Half regretting that now.

But anyway, I would go for a cue with a wood pin any day.

Wood pin cues are the ONLY way to go for me. The hit is sooooo sweet. I'll never part with my Vigus.

MGM3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Capone

I have a Scruggs, Black Boar, Frey, and many others but my Capone is my player. Top notch in quality and performance!

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually prefer stainless steel jointed cues but the wood to wood joint cues that I have tried or owned that have impressed me are below in no particular order.

Ernie Martinez
Leon Sly
Steve Dunkel
Chuck Starkey
Pat Diveney
Jeff Olney
Samsara
Brent Summers
Mike Capone
Keith Josey
Dave Kikel
Southwest

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say Lambros but you said flat face. I mean his ultra joint feels good and tightens down tighter than any other wood joint there is.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southwest or Kersenbrock obviously, but Id look into a BCM.-Bryan Mordt.

I need to try one of the wood pin cues...so intriguing.

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
Wood to wood

I've got a Starkey... real NICE... STIFF...

Other wood to wood (non-production)
John Madden 3/8-10
D'urbin 3/8-10
Dominiak 001 radial
Chester Krick FS 3/8-11 if you want a fancy sneaky... it's a nice one
Jerry Olivier - one of my friends swears by his

Honestly, they all have a very similar-ish hit... the ringwork can make a bit of a difference, but not huge.

-Joe

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Bob Danielson, bdcues here on azb, made a uni-lock shaft for my SP Predator and it fits and hits great.

I like it so much, I'm having him make me a whole cue now.

Jeff Livingston

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I'll be the voice for oldschool production cues...

McDermott C & D series. ;)